A Christmas Story

brooklyn

Re: A Christmas Story
« Reply #100 on: 28 Dec 2015, 05:18 pm »
Booooze… why didn’t I think of that..

sfox7076

« Reply #101 on: 28 Dec 2015, 06:49 pm »
We all have our holiday issues.  I have not felt the need to discuss my "joy" this season, but mine is not that far from Brick. 

My father is disabled and has always had the fiscal responsibility of a drunk sailor on shore leave.  3-4 years after he became disabled, I built my parents a house that was largely handicapped accessible. I charge them "rent" in the amount of the taxes and maintenance (mortgage is all me) and have not raised it in at least a decade.  It's a three bedroom house.

I am Jewish (as is my father), but my mother and sister are Christian (long story).  So my two kids are Jewish, but my sister's daughter is Christian.  My sister's first husband died in 2010, but she has gotten remarried (to a great guy).  Every year we go see my parents (to the house I own) to help my mother celebrate.  My sister, her husband and daughter come.  My sister always brings her well trained smallish poodle mix.  This year she also added a rottweiler that is completely unruly, which I had previously said I did not want in the house. 

Before kids, we would go and each stay in a bedroom.  Now, with kids, that isn't possible because they would have to sleep in the parents rooms or on the floor in the living room.  The kids could stay in the living room, except my sister brings her dogs and there is the whole Santa thing.   So, instead of staying in the house, my wife and kids are expected to get a hotel room and my sister stays at home. OK.  So I am spending a couple thousand a month on a house for my parents to live in and I get to stay in a nearby hotel.  My niece gets what can only be described as 1/2 of the latest toys r us flier for Christmas from "Santa".  I tried to have a conversation about how Santa would be dealt with by my sister to which I was yelled at for being self-centered.  So this year, we get to my parents.  We have a nice lunch and my sister shows up. She has brought the new dog despite my prior statements.  Well, then my 4 year-old loses it and wants to crawl back inside my wife because he is terrified of the dog.

We then go into my parents room to let my son hide for a bit. In there, I discover materials that are going to be used by my parents' contractor to renovate a portion of the house.  Umh, it's my house.  How can they do that without asking me?  I resign myself to not getting too angry and to just go along with it.  It's about this time that I see that within the first 2 hours, the rotti has already scratched the back door to pieces.  I cook dinner for everyone and leave to go to the hotel.  For whatever reason, the hotel and the area around it smells like sewage.  Constantly.

We go back to my parents on Christmas day, after "Santa" has arrived and his gifts have been open.  In other words, there are 40-50 my little ponies strewn across the floor.  My kids got nothing from Santa.  We have explained this because we aren't Christian, we don't get gifts from Santa.  My niece says it is because my kids are bad...  My sister says nothing.  I have to tell my niece it is because we are not Christian and explain to her and my now angry/upset/crying kids that it is not anything to do with bad or good.  My niece distills all of this to mean that we are bad and Santa didn't give us anything because we are bad.  No intervention from the sister.  I tell her that that isn't why, if we were bad we would have gotten coal and just move on.  What I wanted to tell her was that Santa is made up and that your mom has been lying to you...  My sister then declares that she has a headache and goes to lay on the couch.  I bring my kids out back to play.  The older boy slips in a pile of dog poop that my sister has not picked up.  She later asserts that it wasn't her dogs, it must have been a stray.  Her dog's poop different color....  I should have taken DNA.  So then I set up everyone's dinner and then go back to the hotel. 

The next day, we go to the house and she is gone, but the dogs are there.  She went out shopping.  A little reprieve, except my kids are still deathly afraid of the dog and want to go home or to the hotel every minute there.  More stuff happened, but it isn't worth recounting.  At least my stereo was no where in site.

Freo-1

« Reply #102 on: 28 Dec 2015, 07:54 pm »
We all have our holiday issues.  I have not felt the need to discuss my "joy" this season, but mine is not that far from Brick. 

My father is disabled and has always had the fiscal responsibility of a drunk sailor on shore leave.  3-4 years after he became disabled, I built my parents a house that was largely handicapped accessible. I charge them "rent" in the amount of the taxes and maintenance (mortgage is all me) and have not raised it in at least a decade.  It's a three bedroom house.

I am Jewish (as is my father), but my mother and sister are Christian (long story).  So my two kids are Jewish, but my sister's daughter is Christian.  My sister's first husband died in 2010, but she has gotten remarried (to a great guy).  Every year we go see my parents (to the house I own) to help my mother celebrate.  My sister, her husband and daughter come.  My sister always brings her well trained smallish poodle mix.  This year she also added a rottweiler that is completely unruly, which I had previously said I did not want in the house. 

Before kids, we would go and each stay in a bedroom.  Now, with kids, that isn't possible because they would have to sleep in the parents rooms or on the floor in the living room.  The kids could stay in the living room, except my sister brings her dogs and there is the whole Santa thing.   So, instead of staying in the house, my wife and kids are expected to get a hotel room and my sister stays at home. OK.  So I am spending a couple thousand a month on a house for my parents to live in and I get to stay in a nearby hotel.  My niece gets what can only be described as 1/2 of the latest toys r us flier for Christmas from "Santa".  I tried to have a conversation about how Santa would be dealt with by my sister to which I was yelled at for being self-centered.  So this year, we get to my parents.  We have a nice lunch and my sister shows up. She has brought the new dog despite my prior statements.  Well, then my 4 year-old loses it and wants to crawl back inside my wife because he is terrified of the dog.

We then go into my parents room to let my son hide for a bit. In there, I discover materials that are going to be used by my parents' contractor to renovate a portion of the house.  Umh, it's my house.  How can they do that without asking me?  I resign myself to not getting too angry and to just go along with it.  It's about this time that I see that within the first 2 hours, the rotti has already scratched the back door to pieces.  I cook dinner for everyone and leave to go to the hotel.  For whatever reason, the hotel and the area around it smells like sewage.  Constantly.

We go back to my parents on Christmas day, after "Santa" has arrived and his gifts have been open.  In other words, there are 40-50 my little ponies strewn across the floor.  My kids got nothing from Santa.  We have explained this because we aren't Christian, we don't get gifts from Santa.  My niece says it is because my kids are bad...  My sister says nothing.  I have to tell my niece it is because we are not Christian and explain to her and my now angry/upset/crying kids that it is not anything to do with bad or good.  My niece distills all of this to mean that we are bad and Santa didn't give us anything because we are bad.  No intervention from the sister.  I tell her that that isn't why, if we were bad we would have gotten coal and just move on.  What I wanted to tell her was that Santa is made up and that your mom has been lying to you...  My sister then declares that she has a headache and goes to lay on the couch.  I bring my kids out back to play.  The older boy slips in a pile of dog poop that my sister has not picked up.  She later asserts that it wasn't her dogs, it must have been a stray.  Her dog's poop different color....  I should have taken DNA.  So then I set up everyone's dinner and then go back to the hotel. 

The next day, we go to the house and she is gone, but the dogs are there.  She went out shopping.  A little reprieve, except my kids are still deathly afraid of the dog and want to go home or to the hotel every minute there.  More stuff happened, but it isn't worth recounting.  At least my stereo was no where in site.

Be careful about those references with drunk sailors on shore leave.  Some of us could resemble that remark.   ;)

One item that hits me with yours and T-Bricks stories are people bringing their damn dogs. That's why we have kennels.   It's very rude and somewhat thoughtless to expose relatives to that.  It's one thing when you visit someone and they have dogs as part of the family.  However, visiting someone else and bringing dogs along is quite another matter entirely.  It just seems inconsiderate to expose others to that.

The holidays are supposed to be a time of good cheer and celebration.  You poor buggers get a heaping helping of stress instead.    It's no wonder so many people don't like the holidays. 

Hope you guys find some joy among the chaos. 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #103 on: 28 Dec 2015, 08:37 pm »
"We all have our holiday issues."

This is very true.. Had some issues a few years ago because my brother, a retired "man of the cloth" was upset about something and acted like a total idiot.
That was the last time my wife and I visited for the holidays.

My wife's family on the other hand are awesome people. Never heard so much as a harsh word from any of them in the 43 years we have been married.

Some people just suck!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #104 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:15 pm »

As I am in a blind rage that will take at least till after New Year's to abate, I yield the floor.  For now....  :o

brooklyn

« Reply #105 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:58 pm »
Man, I used to feel sorry for myself living in another state by myself without and family members
ever coming to visit me for the holidays or any other time for that matter. After reading these stories,
I actually feel pretty good about it now. Thanks everyone for the unsolicited help.. LOL

Freo-1

« Reply #106 on: 28 Dec 2015, 10:02 pm »
Man, I used to feel sorry for myself living in another state by myself without and family members
ever coming to visit me for the holidays or any other time for that matter. After reading these stories,
I actually feel pretty good about it now. Thanks everyone for the unsolicited help.. LOL

Sometimes, one needs to be careful about what they ask for (in case you wind up getting it).   

sfox7076

« Reply #107 on: 28 Dec 2015, 10:03 pm »
Oh, I was done.  My sister does live entirely on her phone and largely speaks in nicknames and acronyms only.  It is hard for me to deal with.  I am no prize I am sure, but I cannot stand how they seem to solely act to make me insane.  The TV is constantly on for my niece.  My kids don't watch TV.  That led to another fight. Unlike civilized humans, they eat on the couch in the living room as opposed to at a table.    My mom has leg issues.  I bought her a special chair so she could put her legs up easily.  Sister decides to sit in it (Ok, sleep in it).  Defeating the purpose of the chair...  ARGH!  I could go on, but I am done again.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #108 on: 29 Dec 2015, 12:36 am »

That will be 5 cents please...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #109 on: 29 Dec 2015, 06:10 am »
I was wondering how the Warden feels about all of this...

I say we all donate and send a bottle of good Scotch or Bourbon to ease the pain a bit.

Nice thought, but I don't drink anymore, though I am reconsidering....

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #110 on: 29 Dec 2015, 06:19 am »
Oh, the benefits of social media....

I messaged (I thought) my daughter on Facebook and pleaded for her to arrive as fast as possible, and told her to ignore the beer can by my recliner, that I wanted to see how long dumbshit would leave it there.

1.  It wasn't a PM, it was out there for the world to see, and

2.  Dumbshit is a FB friend of hers and he "liked" the post.

Maybe that's why, when they left yesterday this morning, they cleaned out a bunch of crap from their car and piled it up against our patio door.

Game on, as they say.  I think I'm gonna mail it back to them, along with a book on manners and Popular Mechanics book on 50 Things Every Man Should Know How To Do.............

sfox7076

« Reply #111 on: 29 Dec 2015, 12:23 pm »
He will refer to you as a Luddite from now on.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #112 on: 29 Dec 2015, 02:08 pm »
"Maybe that's why, when they left yesterday this morning, they cleaned out a bunch of crap from their car and piled it up against our patio door."

Pictures! Pictures!

Perhaps this pile is actually their Christmas gift to you?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #113 on: 29 Dec 2015, 02:32 pm »
He will refer to you as a Luddite from now on.
Doubt it.  He doesn't know what a Luddite is.

Wow.  This is funny, but a very sad story for the Warden.  If it was just the SSIL, then I'd simply never invite him back, but this is the wife's daughter and grandkids as well. 
TB, I hope you can have a long and serious talk with your wife to find real solutions.  These relationships affect her happiness.  In the meantime, your SSIL, and possibly your DIL, are labeling you as the "old asshole" in front of your wife's grandkids. 
Tread slowly and deliberately. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #114 on: 29 Dec 2015, 03:25 pm »
"Maybe that's why, when they left yesterday this morning, they cleaned out a bunch of crap from their car and piled it up against our patio door."

Pictures! Pictures!

Perhaps this pile is actually their Christmas gift to you?

Trust me, I have pix.  I'll post them later.  The inlaws that weren't here to piss me off this weekend?  Yesterday afternoon we drove two hours to visit, and got back very late, braving floods and a (nearly) closed interstate.

Just shoot me.

Their Christmas gift was the sight of their van leaving my driveway.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #115 on: 29 Dec 2015, 03:33 pm »

TB, I hope you can have a long and serious talk with your wife to find real solutions.  These relationships affect her happiness.  In the meantime, your SSIL, and possibly your DIL, are labeling you as the "old asshole" in front of your wife's grandkids. 
Tread slowly and deliberately.

I agree 100%, S, Needless to say I didn't sleep much last night.    I should have decked SSIL when the timing was right, then at least it'd all be out in the open.  One way or another.

I thought about spraying the house with air freshener when they pulled out but settled for cleaning all the dog slobber on the windows and  doors instead.

NEWS FLASH! The Warden just informed me that the remaining freeloader uh, guests may be staying until Monday.
At least I like them, but it will postpone the "come to Jesus" discussion.

Shit....

At least the bird is in a better mood.

daves

« Reply #116 on: 29 Dec 2015, 07:36 pm »
Bob, if you want your house emptied out quicker, Liam can come down with his new accordion and practice "three blind mice."

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #117 on: 29 Dec 2015, 09:32 pm »
Wish I had known that earlier...... :duh:

JakeJ

« Reply #118 on: 29 Dec 2015, 10:46 pm »
Hey, can he play "Chopsticks" on that thing?  That's a sure-fire room clearer.

'Brick, I feel for ya.  That was one of the funniest, saddest, and at times angering "In-Laws for Christmas" stories I've heard.  My family has it's own set of idiosyncrasies (putting it nicely) during Holiday get togethers with one year in particular being memorable for the stress levels it induced.  We were able to talk about it and our times spent together have since improved greatly.  Hoping you can work out the kinks.

Thanks for finding yourself an outlet for some of the steam and at the same time entertaining and amusing your audio bros along the way.

sfox7076, you have my sympathies as well.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #119 on: 29 Dec 2015, 11:24 pm »
Jake, you have no idea how much the laughs, flames, and shared experiences from other AC members have helped.  It HAS been an outlet, the responses to which have really carried me through. 

My (hidden) blind rage of the past few days is beginning to ease; maybe in a month or so I'll be OK.  Revenge could come now or later, when they least expect it.

Oddly enough the warden is over-the-top cheerful and I can't get past the facade. It's not her usual MO. I can usually "sense" her mood and often take step to defuse/improve the situation but this time I'm at a loss.   That could be good.  Or not.....