Well Tempered Classic TT, cartridge, extender for arm

daveyonthecoast

Hello Friends
I'm going to replace, my shelter MM entry level, with a moving coil, as the above MM is letting me down, way to bright!!
I have decided, the cartridge, I want to buy, my question, I wish to ask, the shelter is set at the end of the well tempered labs arm, where no more, can I slide cartridge, foward!!, the shelter is perfect, for "overhang"!!, when I buy a new cartridge, is there any slider, that, will fit, in case, that the new cartridge, needs a adjustment, to get "overhang right". I have the arm set right!!, took a long time, I really don't, have the eyesight, or nowledge but I don't want to upset, the settings, on the arm, can someone help??, and advise if there is a slider, for the well tempered??

beta14ok

Re: Well Tempered Classic TT, cartridge, extender for arm
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2016, 02:20 pm »
I think you have some fundamental problems with your set-up.

ACHiPo's thread described the process for rotating the arms platform and there by increasing the overhang to the radius of the protactor's spindle circle.

I have not listened to the Shelter 201, but I would not expect it to be "bright" based on reviews I have read. I expect that either your cartridge alignment, arm alignment, perhaps even your phono preamp are the root cause, or all three. In an earlier thread, you say that you have used the Dynavector 17D3 which is a 0.23mV output cart', the Shelter 201 is a 4.0mV output cart. That's a big difference in output! What phono preamp are you using? I think you need to do some reading.......you may be challenged to get support from this community otherwise.

At a minimum, you could read the relevant threads here and have in your possession, the WTT protractor, an accurate force gauge, a good test record, and some hand tools appropriate for the job. follow the guidance, then repeat until it is correct. And, .........match the output of your cart to the input of your preamp.

cheers.