Desktop Power Amp Recommendations

genjamon

Re: Desktop Power Amp Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 7 Dec 2022, 02:19 pm »
Important general point, JLM, but I think the math is a little off.  100 watts is only 10dB louder than 10 watts, and doubling of watts only leads to 3 dB increases in acoustic power output each time.  But doubling of perceived volume is a different matter, and is frequency- and dispersion-dependent.  On a desktop, none of this should matter much, though.  Small amps should do fine with nearly any speaker.

Krillin

« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2023, 01:44 am »
The Topping PA3s would be the best for desktop use. Distortion and noise level will be very good and the price is more than reasonable. And the Topping PA7 would be near state of the art performance and measured by AudioScienceReview.

I know Chinese brands are often frowned upon but a McIntosh for a desktop use just doesn't often make sense.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2023, 04:00 pm »
PS Audio Sprout meets all the requirements - https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2023, 06:10 pm »
Retro. I expect very good (based on experience with original).

https://darko.audio/2023/05/still-wearing-flares-naim-introduces-the-nait-50/

dave

AllanS

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2023, 03:08 am »
For no good reason I set out looking for 50 wpc min but am quite happy to have ended up with a 10 wpc Gjallarhorn and Lyr for a bit more than I’d budgeted for an amp.  Finishing out the Schiit stack is a Lokius EQ and eventually a currently idled Bifrost DAC.
Other than way too many switches for a desktop and lengthy Lyr warm up I’m quite happy with the combo.  I was struggling with the atheistic of a non matching amp when Schiit dropped the Gjallarhorn.  It’s a rockin’ little amp.

Presb4

« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2023, 05:21 am »

I have been using the Schiit G-Horn on my desk at work for the last few months also and love it. It a great little amp. I have it powering a pair of Arendal 1961 BS and the combo is awesome sounding.

AllanS

« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2023, 02:16 pm »
After living with the Schiit stack I came to realize that it really wasn’t a good fit for how I use a desktop system.  It sounds great but is way too complicated and overkill for how I use the system.
It was okay for the working from home daze when it’s on all day.  But a significant use is popping in for relatively short sessions where I reflexively reach to turn it on and want to do so quickly.  And 99.9% of the time it’s background music so I don’t need much.
Long story short PS Audio has a Nov sale going on that includes the Sprout, which I ordered soon as I got the email notification.  For the same inconsequential reasons for initially taking a pass, it’s imperfect but a much better fit.  It’s a particularly unattractive silver and doesn’t include a coax input.  But, at about 40% off list, it was an easy decision.
The remote should look familiar to those with Schiit gear.

snaimpally

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2023, 02:23 pm »
The Fosi Audio V3 uses the TPA3255 (Tripath/Texas Instruments) chip, which is also used by other amp manufacturers, including Cambridge Audio. Check out the British Audiophile's review on YT where he opens up the unit and shows the high quality German and Japanese components inside. Ignore the specified power ratings as they are measured using a 48V power supply that has to be purchased separately. The amp is supplied with a 36V power supply that causes the amp to output less power, though more than enough for a desktop system.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2023, 04:01 pm »
Suggest active (or even powered) smaller monitors for desktop use. 

Check out V-Fi's trading post offering (serene audio). 

Other options:  Audioengine A2+, Vanatoo Transparent Zero Plus

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2023, 04:25 pm »
  What about Vista ?

charles

charmerci

« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2023, 07:54 pm »
  What about Vista ?

charles

I've tried a Vista and it's just okay. But then that was over 8 years ago.