Roundover for X-Voce Flat Pack?

OrangeAgent

Roundover for X-Voce Flat Pack?
« on: 28 Jul 2022, 06:22 pm »
I decided this week to accept the reality of my (little) free time and order a flat pack for the X-Voce kit I have been sitting on for a while. I ripped most of the parts months ago using my skil saw and a straight edge, and while they came out square I missed the offset on the foot enough that my dimensions didnt come out exact on all the parts.

Looking at the way the flat pack is assembled, the tops of the sealed sections sit above the baffle at the ends of the cabinet. My thought was to mark where the array sits between the raised portions and put a roundover on that unassembled, and then just run the router around the remainder of the assembled front baffle as you normally would. It might look a little hokey depending on how well I match the end of the roundover on the baffle to the top of the sealed box, but I cant think of how else to accomplish that mission.

I marked in yellow below where I intend to stop the roundover on the baffle insert. Thoughts?

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Re: Roundover for X-Voce Flat Pack?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2022, 06:57 pm »
If you are talking about routing a roundover on the front of the baffle in that middle open portion, I would probably assemble first and roundover that entire circumference of the front baffle edge after assembly.  If you are talking about routing the rear facing edge, I don't think I would,  I'd leave that edge as is.  The only benefit I could see to routing that middle piece before assembly is if you wanted to leave the short 3/4" rise with a square edge.

An alternative consideration would be to glue a 3/4" strip across that open gap, to bring the top edges flush across the entire front face.  It could be 3/4 × 3/4 or even 3/4 tall x 1.5 deep, with a small or intermittent corner wedge brace hidden on back side to support it.  That would give you a continual clean line all the way around the baffle and would be my preference.  The idea of adding that 3/4x 1.5 would be just for appearance,  similar to face frame on a bookcase,  adding rigidity and visual substance.  The front open baffle would appear 1.5 just like the x-static., but adding a 3/4×3/4 would also look great.

Good luck,
Elon

These are thoughts only. Whatever you decide to do will work fine.

Edit: after seeing the photo below,  another option if you have the tools for it would be to add a hardwood baffle on top of your existing cabinet.  The model below is a veneer.  You could certainly build yours as a double layered baffle, laying the new over the existing. If doing so,  you'd need to enlarge the driver openings on the mdf so that the back end of the drivers have plenty of breathing room .  There are some considerations to be aware of when incorporating solid wood materials but in my opinion a solid wood baffle is less labor to final finish than painting mdf.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2022, 07:39 am by E-Zee »

Vince in TX

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2022, 07:11 pm »
Here's a shot of my original AV123 X-Voce (with upgraded crossover) for comparison and inspiration.   The front edges are rounded over.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2022, 03:08 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I had imagined that running the roundover bit into that corner where the baffle transitions into the sealed section wouldnt look right, but upon reflection it will just carry the same line in the rounded profile and will look fine.

Vince- How much impact did you see from adding the no-rez behind the open baffle array? Or the felt around the tweeter? I need to go back and add a roundover to my Encore cabinets since I missed that when I built them, and figured if Im going to have to run audyssey again I might as well get my measurement mic out and try a few tweaks before I do. Had been considering playing with some felt around the X-LS tweeters and seeing how it changes the freq response.

Also, if anyone is considering purchasing this flat pack, the quality is really good. The fitment in the dados is really nice, its pretty solid just mocked up with no glue. Will definitely come out better than my plan to butt everything with kregs to lock it together.

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2022, 08:21 pm »
Vince- How much impact did you see from adding the no-rez behind the open baffle array? Or the felt around the tweeter? I need to go back and add a roundover to my Encore cabinets since I missed that when I built them, and figured if Im going to have to run audyssey again I might as well get my measurement mic out and try a few tweaks before I do. Had been considering playing with some felt around the X-LS tweeters and seeing how it changes the freq response.

Unfortunately I don't have a reference for comparison.   I am the second owner of this speaker set.   They were originally owned by Steven Stone if you wanted to shoot him a message to get his reasoning and experience:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176117

EdwardT

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2022, 10:27 pm »
I'd be adding a 3/4” strip to bridge that gap and giving a seamless roundover across the top. Making that step down section a seamless transition is going to be tough.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2022, 01:29 pm »
The challenge with adding a strip to bridge the gap is that its not 3/4" wide, the tops of the boxes are rabbeted so they recess down into the sealed box. Its probably 5/16" give or take, so I would have to rip a long skinny strip to match the height.

I suppose I should measure and see which part of the front baffle is the specified width. I had imagined it would be the the open baffle array, with the sealed portions being a little taller but considering I own a tape measure I should probably verify that.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:47 am »
Regardless of what that exact height is, even if you don't have a tablesaw yourself and have to ask the favor of someone, gluing a piece across that span to get a flush line across the top might still be worth the effort in the long run. If not, I still like the idea of running the roundover bit across all the front edges, after it's assembled.