Line Force?

mkriggs

Line Force?
« on: 26 Jun 2022, 02:45 pm »
Whatever happened to the Line Force speaker design?

SoCalWJS

Re: Line Force?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2022, 02:51 pm »
Believe it is on indefinite hold due to lack of the correct B&G Neo drivers.

Don't think there has been an update on the possibility of replacement drivers in quite awhile.

mkriggs

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2022, 02:59 pm »
Thanks, that’s what I was afraid of

Can’t remember where I read it now, maybe this forum, but the Line Force looked to be the “holy grail”, better than even the NX series, but maybe that was only my imagination 🤪

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2022, 03:38 pm »
No, it's not your imagination. 
The NX series are great, but... 
The Line Force is the best I've ever heard... and it's not close.  Rich Hollis and I were there as Danny was tweaking the crossover.  Danny's created a lot of fantastic speakers, but that one was above the others. 
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2022, 07:12 pm by S Clark »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2022, 04:10 pm »
No, it's not your imagination. 
The NX series are great, but... 
The Line Force is the best I've ever heard... and it's not close.  Rich Hollis and I were there as Danny was tweaking the crossover.  Danny's created a lot of fantastic speakers, but one that was above the others.

Agree 100%. My grandson and I also got to hear the Line Force at Danny's. As much as I love my integrated NX-Otica's, if there was any way I could get a pair of Line Forces, I'd figure out a way to fit them into my room.

mkrawcz

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2022, 04:43 pm »
Unfortunately, that NEO10 driver will never be on the DIY market again thanks to PS Audio and I doubt the GRS copy is anywhere close to as good. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2022, 04:58 pm »
Unfortunately, that NEO10 driver will never be on the DIY market again thanks to PS Audio and I doubt the GRS copy is anywhere close to as good.

BG NEO10

GRS 10"

Both drivers were measured in the Super Mini baffle.

mkrawcz

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2022, 05:01 pm »
Ouch

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2022, 07:16 pm »
The only likely hope is that one day the manufacturers that created the GR Neo3 based on the BG (but different enough to be legal) can do it again with the 10". 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2022, 08:29 am »
From the sounds of what I'm hearing, there is a patent on the design that is owned by PS Audio. Does anyone know a date on that patent? They are only upheld for 15-20 years, so at some point in the future everyone can go hog wild with Neo10 drivers on everything. Could be good fun.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2022, 08:31 am »
From the sounds of what I'm hearing, there is a patent on the design that is owned by PS Audio. Does anyone know a date on that patent? They are only upheld for 15-20 years, so at some point in the future everyone can go hog wild with Neo10 drivers on everything. Could be good fun.

Not sure why PS Audio would hold the patent. I thought Christy Digital bought BG and their patents.

mkrawcz

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2022, 09:36 am »
Just speculation on my part. But if I was PS Audio and using the best mid range driver that exists on the planet in my new flagship speaker, I would do what I can to make sure I’m the only one that has access to them or at least guarantee myself unlimited supply of that driver.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2022, 01:47 pm »
Not sure why PS Audio would hold the patent. I thought Christy Digital bought BG and their patents.

I'm not sure who holds the patent rights. Someone just mentioned PS Audio so I assumed that was it. Either way, if someone were to hold out long enough, they will be able to reproduce the line force speakers again in the future but it'll be a while.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2022, 03:12 pm »
We're cutting 4 sets as we speak.

Don

sonicxtc

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2022, 03:35 pm »
We're cutting 4 sets as we speak.

Please explain. Are you saying that you are cutting 4 sets of CNC cabinet panels?
So, are you implying the drivers ARE available? Or, are you just working with NOS parts?

I'm seriously considering GR Research for my end game speaker and prepared to buy VERY soon, so I'd love to know the reality of this situation re: the availability of the Line Force speaker series. Thank you.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2022, 04:11 pm »
We do have a person who sent us a bunch of the GRS units last year to see how they work in a line array. The crossover will need to be different, but they should be usable.

Once the cabinets get here we can look to see how they perform.

IIRC, someone else on here was also able to grab a bunch of the original Neo10s from the last batch that PE was able to order.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2022, 04:23 pm »
Correct, 2 gentlemen had purchased the needed 10's prior to there disappearance, and a 3rd will be using the GRS 10's. The Captain and I also cut a set for ourselves, just because. We had to wait almost a year to get the composite material so I do appreciate the patience that has been shown.

Cheers,

Don

david45

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2022, 08:47 pm »
Correct, 2 gentlemen had purchased the needed 10's prior to there disappearance, and a 3rd will be using the GRS 10's. The Captain and I also cut a set for ourselves, just because. We had to wait almost a year to get the composite material so I do appreciate the patience that has been shown.

Cheers,

Don

Oh so you guys are also cutting a set for yourselves!!! Good stuff!!!  :thumb:
And please keep us posted!

Jaytor

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2022, 04:08 am »

Cheers,

Don

I'm one of the two who have been waiting for Don and Jay to finish the cabinets. I've been sitting on the NEO10 and NEO3 drivers and crossover parts since late 2020. I can't wait to get these built and am excited that they are getting close. 😁

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2022, 04:47 am »
There are lots of folks here with many fine systems.  But none that I think have clearly better speakers than my LS9's... Tyson's Serenity 7's are their equal, perhaps better in some ways, in some ways not as good. The current GR models?  I'll take my LS9's.   But when you have your Line Forces in place with the accompanying subs, that is a speaker system I'll be envious of.