Magico Titan 15 Subwoofer - OMG!!!

WGH

Magico Titan 15 Subwoofer - OMG!!!
« on: 16 Mar 2022, 09:13 pm »
Just for fun...

This subwoofer is so over the top I wish I had the room and the money to get two for stereo. Discovered in the 3/14/2022 TAS newsletter:

Magico Titan 15 Subwoofer
https://www.magicoaudio.com/news/magico-titan-15-the-ultimate-powered-subwoofer-2

...the TITAN 15 is optimized to deliver maximum output levels (136 dB) while minimizing music related distortions at 20Hz (>1% THD)
Each driver has a massive motor system which can handle 3200-watts of continuous power
Drivers have 1.6-inches of linear travel in each direction
The TITAN 15 includes two powerful 3200-watt Class D amplifiers governed by a state-of-the-art electronic crossover and DSP control center

Size: 22" H x 30" D x 22" W
Weight:­­­­­­­ 390 lbs
Price: $32,000

Carl V

Re: Magico Titan 15 Subwoofer - OMG!!!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2022, 09:31 pm »
Weight:­­­­­­­ 390 lbs
Price: $32,000

really?

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2022, 10:15 pm »
I would need to sell my house and live in a tent.  The leftover money would need to go to a massive solar array and battery storage to power a pair of them.  They would allow my Magnepans to sound their best.  Just contemplating, not likely to happen-but what if? 

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2022, 11:28 pm »
Let's play a little "what if" game...

What if you had ultra high-end aspirations but not the million dollar budget? One of you friends loves to brag about his new $135,000 Wilson Audio Alexx V, another friend, not to be outdone, has the $200,000 Von Schweikert Audio Ultra 9 speakers. Both of those heroic designs need to be huge because the designers wanted a full range statement speaker.

But if you paired the Magico Titan with a state-of-the-art speaker that uses the latest cutting edge drivers like the $6,300 Salk Song3 Encore or BePure2 I have a feeling the sound would be very competitive and the deep subterranean bass would blow the more expensive speakers away. You wouldn't need huge powerful expensive amps either.

In my world $38,300 is a lot to spend on speakers but if you want to fill up a huge room with world class sound at 1/4 the price of the statement speakers then the Magico subwoofer could be a no-brainer.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2022, 03:33 am »
In my world $38,300 is a lot to spend on speakers but if you want to fill up a huge room with world class sound at 1/4 the price of the statement speakers then the Magico subwoofer could be a no-brainer.

You can build a similar subwoofer for 1/10th the price. It won't be as pretty and it won't be 3,200 watts. It also won't be 390 lbs.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2022, 05:54 am »

Yup. No brainer for sure.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2022, 06:18 am »
What would that one Magico sub accomplish then 4 high end subs that are way cheaper?

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2022, 08:07 am »
Wow and WOW! if anyone here in the SFBayArea installs this I would love a demo!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2022, 08:47 am »
$32,000, no problem.  I ordered four for a swarm system.  Before shipping they don't charge your card, only the one dollar credit check.  So until they actually check my balance I'm getting an fabulous system.  Maybe not....

Like Klaus Bunge says, their market is a few millionaires, not something most of us are going to hear in our homes.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2022, 12:47 pm »
A simple minded solution for the money.  Infinite baffles would probably be better but would require being built into the room.  Transmission line bass would definitely be better but bigger.  And concrete bass horns (the size of a garage) would be best.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2022, 02:10 pm »
Putting aside the value part of the discussion (which is no different from one of my other hobbies - cars).

I can say that my friend's system that has Magico M-6 speakers is easily one of the best sounding systems I have ever heard.

Based off of that, I would guess that this sub would be an excellent performer.

George

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2022, 02:46 pm »
What would that one Magico sub accomplish then 4 high end subs that are way cheaper?

The Magico sub is has a smaller footprint than 4 subs, 136 dB with less than 1% THD @ 20Hz is amazing, and DSP is something even REL doesn't have in their subs.

The REL No. 25 Six-Pack would be equal the Magico, 6 - 15" woofers, 14 Hz (11 Hz in a well-dimensioned room), 6,000 watts, $45,000.

Tone Audio has a review
https://www.tonepublications.com/review/relno25sixpack/

REL No.25 web page
https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/reference-series/no25/

I use one (1) REL Gibraltar G2 that has a 10" carbon fiber driver. The G2 is the baby brother to the No.25 and is a phenomenal sub that goes down to 18 Hz. I use it for music and home theater. My living room is 326 sq. ft, a larger room would need a bigger sub which is probably why REL discontinued the G2, most people who have a affordable small 750 sq. ft. house like I do wouldn't buy such an expensive sub. The REL G1 Mark ll is $5,500 and if my G2 died I wouldn't hesitate to get a G1, the remote is absolutely necessary because recorded bass varies so much.

kenreau

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2022, 04:23 pm »
I've been to Tone Audio's / Jeff Dorgay's place and heard that REL six-pack with the Sonus faber Stradivari. It is crazy good. Jeff had the REL rep place the subs and dial everything in for optimal integration.  Best I've ever heard.  We played everything from Pink Floyds "Speak To Me" (with the bass heavy heart beat intro) to Snoop Dog/Dre to Frank Sinatra to QOTSA.  It not overblown with too much bass, but just a solid low end foundation and lighting fast.

The Magico sub is has a smaller footprint than 4 subs, 136 dB with less than 1% THD @ 20Hz is amazing, and DSP is something even REL doesn't have in their subs.

The REL No. 25 Six-Pack would be equal the Magico, 6 - 15" woofers, 14 Hz (11 Hz in a well-dimensioned room), 6,000 watts, $45,000.

Tone Audio has a review
https://www.tonepublications.com/review/relno25sixpack/

REL No.25 web page
https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/reference-series/no25/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2022, 04:33 pm »
Magico makes speakers with really inert cabinets, which is a big part of why they sound good.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2022, 10:32 pm »
More Subs today are using DSP like SVS and a few others.  I hear people saying alot of the time that 2 subs are better then one and 4 subs are the best.  Wont 4 subs play louder and pressurize the room more evenly then just a single sub?  If so whats the point of spending so much money on a single sub rather then buying 2 or 4 cheaper subs that would do a better job? 

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2022, 12:27 am »
Zybar, agree on the Magico’s that’s why I bought A5s.

Incredible speaker btw.

Mark

Freo-1

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2022, 04:15 am »
Whilst I'm confident the Titan 15 is a outstanding product,  for the 99 plus percent,  no way I would allocate 32K for a subwoofer.  Funds would be better spent on a near full range speaker which is highly acclaimed,  supplemented with a more reasonably priced subwoofer(s). 

I also have learned the right front end setup (hello Devialet Expert Pro 250), can make more of a positive impact regarding overall sound than uber expensive speakers with more traditional electronics.