Nobody (2021) - Bob Odenkirk gets even

WGH

Nobody (2021) - Bob Odenkirk gets even
« on: 16 Apr 2021, 09:31 pm »

"Nobody" is the story of Hutch Mansell (Bob Odenkirk), a mild mannered suburban dad with an uninspiring job and a secret. A home invasion by two nervous thieves unleashes Hutch, first on a quick mission to recover his daughter's kitty cat bracelet and then it seems to end on a city bus. The action escalates from there.

Taking it's cues from Bronson, Clint Eastwood ("The Unforgiven" comes to mind) and Liam Neeson, the film is an unapologetic vigilante drama. The action is smooth, fast and deadly, Bob is an excellent action actor. The first line of the NY Times review says it all "As slick as a blood spill and as single-minded as a meat grinder, “Nobody” hustles us along with a swiftness that blurs the foolishness of its plot and the depravity of its message."

But is sure is fun, Hutch exacts the revenge we all have wanted to do sometime in our lives. The difference is Hutch has the skills to do it.

"Nobody" is written by Derek Kolstad (screenwriter “John Wick” 1, 2, & 3) so you know the action is non-stop. Director Ilya Naishuller ("Hardcore Henry") keeps everything as sharp as a knife. The action is choreographed by the team behind “John Wick", the close quarters bus scene will be classic.

Christopher Lloyd is Hutch's dad, at 82 years old he hasn't lost the twinkle in his eye and mischievous spirit, it was good to seem him again.

I watched "Nobody" before reading any reviews or watching the trailer, it's always nice to not know where a film is going.

94% Audience score on RT, even the trailer is R rated
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nobody_2021

‘Nobody’ Review: A Wolf in Wimp’s Clothing
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/movies/nobody-review.html

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/nobody-movie-review-2021

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bendingwave

• Restricted
Re: Nobody (2021) - Bob Odenkirk gets even
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2021, 02:51 am »
Now this is a good action movie with a little bit of humor.  Reminds me of those other action movies where one thinks they are just a regular person but has a secret past like the Equalizer.

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2021, 03:33 am »
the action in the john wick movies is nothing short of brilliant performance art edited par excellence

seems like this new odenkirk action flick will follow in the same tradition... cool!!   :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2021, 04:02 pm »
The Ringer has a nice article about the evolution of "Nobody", which started as an idea Bob Odenkirk had in 2017 after he personally experienced a home evasion.

Odenkirk trained for 2 years with Daniel Bernhardt, a martial artist and actor, while the script was pitched to studios, not knowing if it would ever picked up and made but he wanted to be ready. “We said there isn’t going to be that shirt-off moment in Nobody,” David Leitch remembers. “But you could have had it, because he was ripped. It was good for him to be able to internalize that physicality for the character.”

How ‘Nobody’ Turned Bob Odenkirk Into the Next John Wick
https://www.theringer.com/movies/2021/4/16/22385690/bob-odenkirk-nobody-training-john-wick-action-star

MikeInAustin

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2021, 04:07 pm »

Curious what pistol that is, anybody know?

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2021, 04:16 pm »
Looks like MP7

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2021, 04:51 am »
Saw it tonight at my local Alamo Drafthouse.  It was a lot of fun!

djpk

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2021, 03:01 pm »
I saw this movie yesterday and left the theater disappointed. It's nothing more than a shoot-em-up action movie where the bad guys are incompetent and the good guys have near super powers. I thought it was really stupid.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2021, 07:06 pm »
I saw this movie yesterday and left the theater disappointed. It's nothing more than a shoot-em-up action movie where the bad guys are incompetent and the good guys have near super powers. I thought it was really stupid.

If you went expecting something else...

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2021, 12:47 am »

If you didnt like the John Wick movies then you wouldnt like this one.

djpk

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2021, 03:16 am »
If you didnt like the John Wick movies then you wouldnt like this one.

I never saw the John Wick movies. I was expecting a clever well written film and Nobody is not that. I think I could describe it as action slap-stick. Bob Odenkirk has done well with his Saul character I thought this would be a quality production.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2021, 05:46 pm »
I never saw the John Wick movies. I was expecting a clever well written film and Nobody is not that. I think I could describe it as action slap-stick. Bob Odenkirk has done well with his Saul character I thought this would be a quality production.

Do you go to Taco Bell and try to order a hamburger?

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2021, 09:03 pm »
It's not unusual to be disappointed with a movie, especially if it stars an actor you like - like anything Bruce Willis has done in the last 10 years comes to mind. Sometimes I skip the trailer because it condenses the entire film in 2 minutes. Looks like djpk was blindsided, the combination of the positive buzz and Odenkirk sounds like a film everyone would like.

Last night I watched "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" on Netflix. The film stars Jessie Buckley who is in "The Courier" and is directed by Charlie Kaufman who directed "Being John Malkovich" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." Both films were weird but enjoyable. "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" is 2 hours-14 minutes of navel gazing, indecipherable and incoherent. With an 82% RT critic score I definitely would be in the minority if I wrote a review.

WC

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2021, 02:58 am »
Some of the scenes were a little far fetched, but it was a pretty good flic.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2021, 05:19 am »
It was a fun movie.  My wife even liked it.

By the way, just watched a movie called "The Paper Dragons" I believe on Netflix.  It was a fun movie.  98%  on Rotten Tomatoes and 92% audience.