Trying to decide on the next upgrade path for my CAMs

hells

Hey all! I've been loving my amp, but financially things have gotten to an even better place (huzzah for new jobs) and I finally have the funds to complete my system how I wanted a few years back.

So currently I'm torn between which upgrade I wanted to do first, second and third. I have a solid idea of what I want, just not sure the impact of what each will bring to my system.

Here's what the current setup is:
- Omega CAMs
- Schiit Gungnir MB
- Schiit Freya S
- Schiit Aegir

So my current wants for upgrades are (in no particular order as I'm unsure :D):
- 2x deepHemp 8 Subwoofer by Omega (Assuming the pairing is better with the CAMs than something like a REL T/7i. Plan is to start with 1 due to space and find a home for a second sooner than later)
- Stellar Power Plant 3
- Schiit Yggdrasil

Personally I'm leaning towards the Yggdrasil first, then the sub and finally the power plant. But I'm interested in hearing from anybody who's done similar things with their systems and what brought the biggest changes. These are all relatively similar price wise, so cost isn't a concern on order for me.

Anybody have suggestions?

- Brandon

thetakeout

Re: Trying to decide on the next upgrade path for my CAMs
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2020, 11:28 pm »
My .02

Caveat.  I don't have any of that gear.  I also don't have a sub.   I have Zu Omen DW speakers, MHDT Labs Istanbul Dac & a low watt tube amp. 

I have heard 1 set of Omegas.

1 - Sub
2 - Yggy
3 - Power Plant

Full range driver speakers always seem to benefit from a sub.  Your Gumby dac is great.  Yggy will be better but I bet you will get the benefit of the dac more after you have the sub. 

I am betting all three options will be worthy additions. 

I will be excited to hear what you go with.

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2020, 12:54 am »
>Anybody have suggestions?
>

Sub should be upgrade #1.

Explore driving the CAMs direct with a Chord Hugo2 or TT. Astounding stuff.

Doody

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2020, 01:08 am »
I think it's a tossup between sub(s) or Yggy. I think both will provide an equal upgrade with respect to audio quality / enjoyment. However, one could argue that subs are the best first upgrade because DAC technology changes at a faster rate. So when you're ready to upgrade your DAC (later) you could get a newer technology OR get the older tech at a nice discount.

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2020, 02:10 am »
I haven’t listened to the Aegir myself, but my experience with Omega speakers (including the SAM) has been that they do much better with single ended, preferably tube amps.  As noted by Doody, driving directly from the Chord Hugo works as well. The Hugo TT puts out 7 wpc - as much as a 300B and perfect for the CAM.

AvsFan

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2020, 02:55 am »
Sub. Hands down. It will make a major and noticeable difference in your system. I’m having a dual 8 inch Deep Hemp Sub delivered next week. I can’t wait!

seikosha

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2020, 12:52 pm »
Depending on what your room is like, often an investment in room treatments is the best upgrade you can make to a system.  I know it's not as fun as new equipment, but the results can sometimes be startling.

hells

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2020, 09:13 pm »
So I actually started with a SET amp on this rig (realizing I was lacking a ton of details... :D), it was first a Decware SE84UFO, and then I upgraded to a Decware SE84UFO25 (anybody want to buy either? :D). I enjoyed the sound quality quite a bit, but it lost steam on heavier arrangements (whether it was my heavy metal or orchestra's) so I went looking for something closer but with more headroom. So I bought the Aegir and Freya and took receipt of them last week. I wanted something pure solid state just to A/B, the midrange isn't quite as good (that's expected) but the highs, bass and overall control definitely have improved. Just feels like more slam, so quite happy with that, saves me some cash too.

So I *think* the Aegir has delivered so far but I'm having a hiss problem that I can't sort out if it is my Aegir or Freya S. Schiit support thinks it's the Freya, but since I sit pretty close nearfield (~3 feet) it could just be that the gain modes of the Freya are causing me to hear the noise due to the sensitivity of the Omega's. The passive mode is dead silent thankfully, but it lacks a "something", so not ideal. So unfortunately I'll be out my preamp for some time, which makes getting any components a lot less fun.

I was leaning towards the Yggdrasil since the black chassis's usually sell out fast and I really wanted one. But I am thinking a sub is a better first move as some of you have noted. I was originally going to go with the deepHemp, but I can't shake the feeling I really want a servo subwoofer. I think it was roscoe that had the Rythmik? Well somebody on here sent me on a goose chase, and I ended up thinking I really want a F12SE. Not as attractive, but not a huge deal as it will be in a desk well.

As far as the chord goes, I find their designs fugly. I just can't bring myself to want one. So I've avoided them because of that, despite the glowing reviews. I'd rather go with a Maraschino amp or something before that.

This whole setup is my "work" setup along with play. Since I work from home, I get the benefit of high quality audio all day as I program. So I suppose it's a bit unconventional, but I don't have too much room either. So dual subs would be a problem, but Enrico @ Rythmik thinks that one should be suitable for all of the soundstage depth and such that I am expecting from a sub, since I can't really do two easily, and I sit so close.

As far as room treatment goes, I'm not sure that will bring *too* much benefit at my distance, but it's definitely something on the table.

Appreciate all the responses, and @Avsfans, that's a great looking sub! I think I saw it in your thread, hopefully it kicks as much ass as it does visually. Love that wood finish.

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2020, 11:24 pm »
>As far as the chord goes, I find their designs fugly. I just can't bring myself to want one. So I've avoided them because of that, despite the glowing reviews.
>
Oh, for sure. The colored balls are probably the dumbest, silliest UX/UI in all of HiFi and LoFi. Insane beyond belief - and a real pain in the ass when you're trying to figure out what's going on (having to have an actual manual around so you can figure out "WTF does green on that ball mean again?").

But I currently own/use a  Hugo2 + 2go; and used to have a Hugo M Scaler as well. The sound is astonishing.

Doody