Well Tempered Lab Royale 400 with 16" tonearm. It weighs in at a healthy 46kg.

threadkiller

Oh I agree... I've always hoped Opera would go to a rubber belt or something that would last the typical 5 yrs of a rubber one. And logically one would assume an older ( one year!) belt would be stretched... yet the strobe disc says otherwise...

My guesstimate is somewhere between $10k to $12k ?..haven't heard peep, that's my gut feeling..

Erocka2000

My guesstimate is somewhere between $10k to $12k ?..haven't heard peep, that's my gut feeling..

Yikes!  I was hoping for more like $6,500 or so.

threadkiller

I'm thinking for sure at least a solid $10k...we're going up in musicality and construction, looks like, and that costs.. shudder to think if it wasn't being made by Opera.. $18 or $20k?

Erocka2000

I understand it's more robust than the Amadeus and Versalex, but do you really think there's $8,000 more in construction costs?  It has about 4 pieces of baltic birch plywood and the top and bottom pieces.  Platter and motor seem to be the same and other than a longer arm tube, the rest of the arm looks the same as the Versalex.  I'm just not seeing $8,000 more.  And I'm totally fine with companies that increase costs based on R&D and sales numbers, but come on.  I think $12,000 is way too much for at least what I'm seeing.  And yes, I know, it's what you hear that counts. 

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Is it determined then $12k USD?

threadkiller

I have no idea... I'm thinking at least $10k... just a hunch, nothing factual.
And, if it's as good as the rumor mill states, that's all I need to hear.
Any other table I'd ditch my Amadeus for is well over $20k..

I do doubt it's the same motor.. generally the long arm transcription types need a lot of torque.. It might be a lot of fun to cue that long arm..( there's a joke in there somewhere)

rob400

It might be a lot of fun to cue that long arm..( there's a joke in there somewhere)

Trust you  :D

I'll phone Sir John about price etc tomorrow.....

threadkiller

What a saint he is...it's been very hush hush over here..
That photo of Bill F was from the BIG trade show in China.. Maybe that was Mao laid out under the cloth behind him.. See? The Royal brought Mao back around (or did he ever go away?) , just think what it will do for our old records!

Erocka2000

So, has anyone confirmed price yet? 

rob400

UK distributer unavailable until after Easter break but  I will find out shortly if no one else does first

threadkiller

It's not finalized yet- could change- yet $10k is the target.
Save up!

threadkiller

Rob, are you getting one?

rob400

I did say to you that I had lost the upgrading bug Charlie and I would need to hear it first, but a better sounding Well Tempered will be too much of a temptation I feel. How about you?

Erocka2000

It's not finalized yet- could change- yet $10k is the target.
Save up!

Is this price just what you're guessing or is it based on something you've heard?  It'd be a shame to sell it for that much, as far as I'm concerned.  $6,500 - 7,000 seems to be what I'd price it at. 

threadkiller

Well, easy for you or one to say, I guess. Unfortunately we don't get to set the price...otherwise I could get my next car for half!

Rob... You know it! Let's just wait and see how it plays out-bad pun intended..
I'm hoping it's the bees knees..and if it is, I gots to have it. If it's only marginally better then probably not..
If it's a big difference, then it's trying to find the space for it.. or what I'll put it on.. Or that matching stand..

rob400

Yes Chaz the dimensions screw up my rack situation also. I'd be looking to make a matching Oak one just for the Royale. It's a friendly race now to see whether it's you, me or another forum member that gets to hear one first. Mike Pranka and John Burns will control that one I would suggest. I really look forward to it though.

threadkiller

Good point...
My questions are- does one have to use the matching stand or is that just to facilitate easy placement? Sounds better with? Leveling capability? Hopefully still no clamp..although that's onky a mild irritation.
You may have to fly in and help me lift the thing..

Yet I admit I'm excited...I've been on a real record buying binge lately.. And with my new cleaner it's been a whole new world..

mgsboedmisodpc2

threadkiller tell us about your "new cleaner "

threadkiller

Ok, but I think I babbled on here before - so I'll make it brief.
I finally wanted something good- was tired of my VPI 16 and others like it, oki noki etc.
was going to get a Keith Monks, after hearing how much better it did than the VPI.
Then the AudioDesk started making the rounds and getting the buzz, reviewed or mentioned 3 times in Stereophile due to strong ad money- ( it obviously makes a difference, sadly) and then was told by several "authorities" to me that it was built cheaply like a plastic toy, and was told to get the KLAudio ultrasonic, which I did. And I love it, my friends love it, and it's a phenomenal product, albeit it an expensive one.

In a nutshell, it cleans like nothing I've heard. It is beyond simple. And quick.
I use 3 min wash and 2 min dry cycle. Both sides at a time. No applying fluids. No flipping.
Just insert and go. Love love love... About the size of a toaster. $4k.

mgsboedmisodpc2

threadkiller just remember to store cleaned LP in a clean LP sleeve Which I learned the hard way as a must do preventing re depositing of dust :)