Sun Ra - 'Where paths meet' WOW

Antman27

« on: 27 Jan 2006, 08:09 pm »
Hello all,
So I never herd of Sun Ra beffore thismorning - while driving to work flippin through the stations I came across the strangest recording I have eva herd - WOW it was so lose almost out of tune all over the place I had to miss my train to find out who it was
Sun Ra - 'Where paths meet'  I am nor sure if this was the song title or CD BUT I want to hear it again & hade no luck finding anything with this title
Any Thoughts ?

PhilNYC

ricmon

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2006, 09:05 pm »
You may want to check out this doumentary on Sun Ra.  It was being shown on PBS a few years ago.  Also I had the pleasure to hang out with some ex-Sun Ra band members.  Suprisingly they were hot much older then me (i'm 47).

http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?id=2332

space is the place (this is a phrase made famous by Sun Ra)

SWG255

The Sun Ra Arkestra was...
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2006, 09:16 pm »
Absolutely amazing live. I caught them once in the late 70's, and what a show! Yes, the music was all over the place, usually taking minutes to sound like something other than space-age cacophony, but it was a once in a lifetime kind of event.

Antman27

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2006, 09:24 pm »
Thanks all
Is the remastered CD the way to go ?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2006, 12:03 am »
I saw Sun Ra Rahsaan Roland Kirk back in 1970 at a club in Cleveland, Ohio called the Smiling Dog Saloon (in a very baaad part of town).

Somehow, he manages to insert THREE saxaphone mouthpieces in his mouth at the same time, play a continuous drone note on the middle one, and wrap two melodies around it from each hand on the other two!

I knew beforehand that he had somewhat of an ego from an album titled (I believe) "Prepare Thyself To Deal With A Miracle".

He transitioned from a loose free jazz theme into a tight swinging tempo.  My friend clapped and said "Yeah, Dixieland!"

Sun Ra Rahsaan actually stopped playing and said "That is not Dixieland, that is N'orleans music".

Later on, some people were talking perhaps too loudly (it was a seedy beer hall) - he stopped playing again, and said if they didn't come to hear the music, they should leave!

Good Times.

(Edit on 7/21/2009 - Was looking up an old post, saw this one, and realized I had mentioned the wrong musician.  Oops!)
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2009, 11:05 pm by srb »

mjosef

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2006, 08:07 am »
A true classic far out artist. His sound/band can go from a loose funeral march tune to the tightest big band 'bop' arrangement in an instant. He covered Disney tunes, Ellingtonia,  freejazz, electronica...and sounds that had no classification. I was hooked on SunRa's music during the 80's and 90's, caught their many performances in NYC during those years, met him backstage once at Sweet Basil. Haven't followed the group since his passing, did see John Gilmore at last years Vision Jazz festival, and he looked healthy.
Great thing about attending a SunRa's concert in those days, they always had albums (LPs) for sale, and they (the Arkestra) didn't mind signing it for you. A great friendly bunch of chaps.