Rick Wakeman playing Close to the edge solo on piano !

Andre2

I have been on long time fan of Yes, since I was about 14 and discovered them back in 1974.  I have listened to Close to the Edge on vinyl and cd probably more than a hundred times.

I just found this on youtube this morning.  It is such a beautiful rendition, it is a different mood compared to the original recording, appeared a bit more personal, more soul-searching. I found myself truly enjoying this piece anew, so many memories of my teenage years that was not even funny. 

If you like Yes, and have not heard this, please listen and let me know what you think.
R. Wakeman - Close to the edge

« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2012, 09:20 pm by Andre2 »

dflee

Re: Rick Wakeman playing Close to the edge solo on piano !
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2012, 05:27 pm »
Thanks for the attachment. Really enjoyed it. Wish I could have seen Yes
With Rick and the rest.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2012, 06:56 pm »
In 1974 I see wakeman and Orchestra + Choral playing Journey and was a landmark experience.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2012, 09:05 pm »
Although put up about 4 years ago, the video looks older than that, maybe 2004 or so.  Nice, though.

I've seen Yes eight times, probably 4-5 with the Rick lineup (twice earlier with Tony Kaye).  One of my most memorable concerts as a kid was Yes at Akron Civic Theater in Decmber 1971.  Took my high school gf, who at the time was wayyy over my league.  :)  Snowy Christmas season weekend evening, beautiful arm candy, wonderful theater...and then Yes debuts Fragile.  Amazing!

One if the most eclectic concerts I ever attended was 1972 Akron Rubber Bowl.  Eagles were just getting started and the opening act, then Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin (Billy Cobham, etc...doing Inner Mounting Flame stuff...freaking amazing)...then Yes.  They announce they are debuting their new album, Close to the Edge.  A buddy and I taped it on this little Aiwa tape recorder.  It was so wild to know the album so well when it was finally released weeks later!  :)

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2012, 07:06 pm »
Glad to see this, whenever it might have been recorded. Thanks.

Paul

Jumpin

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2012, 08:00 pm »
It is a travesty that they are not in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

saeyedoc

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2012, 08:05 pm »
Brings back some great memories. First concert ever was Yes in '74 at the Philadelphia Spectrum. Had the brilliant idea to "camp" on the concrete in front of the building for several days to get great seats. Were #4 in line, but the friend I was with got busted at hour 2, so I bailed. They ended up adding another show, so I got tickets to that one.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:27 pm »
My all time favorite album!!! Great cover art(my favorite), timeless music and the recording and drum sound in particular are shockingly good especially when so many albums miss the sound, this guy did it in ancient times by recording standards...love it. :thumb:

When they first decided on the RR hall of fame I was like "YES" will be in the first batch of folks, never happened, never will, and I'll never go or respect the hall as a result. The hall is so out of wack in my eyes but hey I'm just one guy. :roll:

Relayer tour in Philly was my only show, Patrick Moraz, Alan White-Great stage art, decent sound for the Spectrum. No date, a drum nerd I was....got the dates later on down the road..... :thumb: