BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

Marius

Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:12 pm »
No luck today, im experiencing constant loss of connection, trying to reconnect, select another library ..

Had the BDP self-powerdown a couple of times, lockup, or just stop responding to the various controls.

Al might be related to the NAS being to under-specced having a hard time indexing the tracks. Maybe another reason, who knows.

All in all, i am beginning to think a NAS isn't such a good solution after all , a dedicated computer might be the preferable way to Roon. Which makes it even more expensive of course ;-((

Then again, a SonicTransporter and a Micro Rendu http://microjukebox.com/collections/music-players/products/sonictransporter-microrendu-ifi-ipower-bundle are quite the cheap replacement for the BDP...

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:19 pm »
I downloaded Roon and after some trial and error I got it running. The reason I had a problem is not no audio comes out of the AES connection, which I prefer, just the sub out to the dac. Is that the way it is supposed to operate?

I am using a bdp-2 with attached hard drive. Mac OSX.

Initial thought is that this is a pretty expensive way to play my tunes. But we'll give it its two month trial.

Thanks.

Craig

There is a config page that can be found from within Roon, audio device setup, configure player.  This page will allow you to customize various settings.  If you prefer AES why have the USB connected?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #62 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:23 pm »
No luck

Perhaps a networking issue, either between your controller and the server or between the BDP and the server?

Also if you look at roons website they recommend a pretty beefy NAS for the server

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

In the description they even state you should be prepared to spend just shy of $2k US

Marius

« Reply #63 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:09 am »

Also if you look at roons website they recommend a pretty beefy NAS for the server

In the description they even state you should be prepared to spend just shy of $2k US

Indeed, beefy. They warn you, fair enough. Not only a beefy NAS is needed, if you use a dedicated computer to run the server, it also needs the bigger specs. No words about library size either..

Makes me wonder if eg. the Sonore family is powerful enough, there's not much info about their specs on the Sonore website, other than stating is was made for pure audiophile use..

All in all we seem to be bothered by the same issues we experience on the BDP (1). More than powerful enough for playing audiophile quality music files per se, trouble starts when you need the visuals. Either way, the solution seems to be expensive upgrade(s) on each part of the chain, added to the cost of the software, which still seems very very steep.

Chris,
besides the above, which is more of a Roon issue, im experiencing intermittent BDP1 shut offs and lockups in Roon Ready Mode. Is the BDP1 not really up to it? Or should/could another setting be modified.
Maybe i need to consider the BDP2 after all ;)
On the Roon forum they also mention the Raspberry not being their favorite platform, to put it mildly. Processor, memory, sd vs ssd etc. That would also compromise the BDP-p1 then?

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #64 on: 1 Jul 2016, 09:15 am »

That's crazy. Spend 1/4 of that on a base model Mac Mini with an inexpensive, attached USB 3.0 hard drive.

I have an older Mac Mini (Mid 2011 model, Core i5 w/ 8GB RAM). When I am playing back music, RoonServer hovers between 5-15% CPU utilization, depending on CD vs. high-res tracks, consuming less than 350 MB of RAM - constant.  Plenty of power to run RoonServer.

Krutsch

« Reply #65 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:23 am »
That's crazy. Spend 1/4 of that on a base model Mac Mini with an inexpensive, attached USB 3.0 hard drive.

As an FYI, RoonServer is sensitive to file access delays. In other words, I've noticed that if there is any delay in loading a file, you will hear delays in playback between tracks. This was noticeable in my system when playing longish tracks that have gapless transition to the next track (think: classical movements).

If the HDD holding your music spins down (read: sleeps), you may experience gaps in playback. This was especially noticeable in my system using the WD MyCloud as the SMB host for my Roon library.

I solved this by downloading the Mac OS app: Disksomnia, form the Apple App Store, and configuring it to touch the mounted share every 30 seconds whenever Roon is running (you could also disable sleep in the WD MyCloud, but I chose the former option).

This an area where MPD excels... even loading the same tracks from the same WD MyCloud, I've never had these delay problems. I believe MPD is more polished, with respect to pre-fetching the next track.

Krutsch

« Reply #66 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:34 am »
Quick note on Roon Playback.

The display: the Artists name is cropped if it contains more than one word. For example: "Steve Roach" displays as "Steve". When the track changes you can briefly see "Steve Roach" appear in the display and then "Roach" is wiped with blank chars leaving only "Steve".

An update on this issue: I am playing back tracks from "The Moody Blues" and noticing the display shows: "The M" as the artist (as in: The <space> M). Same erasing behavior, as described above; when changing tracks, I can briefly see: "The Moody Blues" and the latter chars are erased 1/2 second later.

Marius

« Reply #67 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:46 am »
HI,

recognize your experience on the transition for classical tracks.
This is yet another aspect of the available services and industry not yet being ready for serious listening/clientele of classical music. Just check the home page, and be confronted with the ever present Adele and Beyonce....

Talked about this with Roon,and they are getting ready for it. They say. Their speed and action on their community is very good, so i hope they will get their software up to speed also.

Don't want to embark on yet another road of extra utilities and tweaks to be able to play my library without issues. Its getting better but nothing can match the sheer ease of throwing in a cd and enjoy.... ;)
MPD/BDP can. Without any extra investments. Being a Mac Mini or a beefy NAS server... (bought the SSD already, as i did with extra NAS-memory, but thats as far as i want to go, before ROON attends to these issues. Im sure they will, and hope they do before my 2 months trial is over ;)

Cheers,
Marius

As an FYI, RoonServer is sensitive to file access delays. In other words, I've noticed that if there is any delay in loading a file, you will hear delays in playback between tracks. This was noticeable in my system when playing longish tracks that have gapless transition to the next track (think: classical movements).

If the HDD holding your music spins down (read: sleeps), you may experience gaps in playback. This was especially noticeable in my system using the WD MyCloud as the SMB host for my Roon library.

I solved this by downloading the Mac OS app: Disksomnia, form the Apple App Store, and configuring it to touch the mounted share every 30 seconds whenever Roon is running (you could also disable sleep in the WD MyCloud, but I chose the former option).

This an area where MPD excels... even loading the same tracks from the same WD MyCloud, I've never had these delay problems. I believe MPD is more polished, with respect to pre-fetching the next track.

Rocket

« Reply #68 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:02 am »
Hi Marius,

I don't want to offend you but why advertise another product on the Bryston forum?  The gents from bryston have been very responsive to your many questions over a long time.

I'm really happy with my Bryston BDP-1.  Totally don't know how to use Roon but not bothered at this stage.

Regards Rod

Marius

« Reply #69 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:06 am »
Hi Rod,

Not sure why you ask, since this thread is about the Roon Ready Mode of the BDP's? Im not advertising in anyway, only testing the Roon software, and the combo it makes with the BDP family.

Just as you, i'm very happy with my BDP-1, i think it's a great machine.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I don't want to offend you but why advertise another product on the Bryston forum?  The gents from bryston have been very responsive to your many questions over a long time.

I'm really happy with my Bryston BDP-1.  Totally don't know how to use Roon but not bothered at this stage.

Regards Rod

Rocket

« Reply #70 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:25 am »
Hi Marius,

It doesn't always come across that you are happy with your Bryston BDP-1 and that is why I commented.

Regards

Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #71 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:30 am »
HI,

recognize your experience on the transition for classical tracks.
This is yet another aspect of the available services and industry not yet being ready for serious listening/clientele of classical music. Just check the home page, and be confronted with the ever present Adele and Beyonce....

Talked about this with Roon,and they are getting ready for it. They say. Their speed and action on their community is very good, so i hope they will get their software up to speed also.

Don't want to embark on yet another road of extra utilities and tweaks to be able to play my library without issues. Its getting better but nothing can match the sheer ease of throwing in a cd and enjoy.... ;)
MPD/BDP can. Without any extra investments. Being a Mac Mini or a beefy NAS server... (bought the SSD already, as i did with extra NAS-memory, but thats as far as i want to go, before ROON attends to these issues. Im sure they will, and hope they do before my 2 months trial is over ;)

Cheers,
Marius

Speaking of the simplicity of CD - listening to the final prototype of our new CD Player.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #72 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:49 am »
Hi Marius,

It doesn't always come across that you are happy with your Bryston BDP-1 and that is why I commented.

Regards

Rod
If you want to see people not being happy with a product and showing it I suggest you go and have a peek at the Bluesound forum... An excellent example of company arrogance killing a product that could have been pretty good.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #73 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:50 am »
Speaking of the simplicity of CD - listening to the final prototype of our new CD Player.

Nice open design! No problems with cooling this way!
(just keep your cat away... :) )

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #74 on: 1 Jul 2016, 01:35 pm »

Chris,
besides the above, which is more of a Roon issue, im experiencing intermittent BDP1 shut offs and lockups in Roon Ready Mode. Is the BDP1 not really up to it? Or should/could another setting be modified.
Maybe i need to consider the BDP2 after all ;)
On the Roon forum they also mention the Raspberry not being their favorite platform, to put it mildly. Processor, memory, sd vs ssd etc. That would also compromise the BDP-p1 then?

Cheers,
Marius

I ran my BDP-1 right through the weekend before sending it to Roon for certification without incident.  I would think something else is amiss.

Marius

« Reply #75 on: 1 Jul 2016, 03:04 pm »
I ran my BDP-1 right through the weekend before sending it to Roon for certification without incident.  I would think something else is amiss.

Hi Chris,
Thanks, I've moved my Roon Server to a Macbook and am in the middle of rebuilding the database. Maybe it was because the NAS, while having trouble serving Roon, causing issues with the BDP1 too. Will let you know whether the move made things better.

Anyone of you know if one can point the RoonServer to a dedicated Drive (external SSD in my case)? The NAs Setup read that automatically, but now I've set ROon up on the Mac, there's no way of changing/dedicasting a path?

Cheers,
Marius

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 1 Jul 2016, 06:07 pm »
I'm running my roon server on an older i5 laptop with 12GB ram and windows 10 pro. The laptop runs a variety of server type services for my home network and it never drops out. It may also be worth just running the headless roon server software.

I setup the music library as a network folder which refers back to my BDP (since i bounce back and forth between MPD, Roon, and other services) which probably at least doubles network traffic between the two units and I still get zero dropouts or crashes.

vonnie123

« Reply #77 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:35 pm »
Hi Marius,

Regards Rod

I welcome hearing about all types of equipment.  No offense intended.  I like my Roon Ready BDP-1 a bunch.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #78 on: 1 Jul 2016, 09:53 pm »
I'm running my roon server on an older i5 laptop with 12GB ram and windows 10 pro. The laptop runs a variety of server type services for my home network and it never drops out. It may also be worth just running the headless roon server software.

I remember reading in room knowledge base that if you minimize Roon (Windows) or close the Roon window (Mac) that roons stops rendering the graphics and essentially is in a server only mode.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #79 on: 1 Jul 2016, 09:56 pm »

Anyone of you know if one can point the RoonServer to a dedicated Drive (external SSD in my case)? The NAs Setup read that automatically, but now I've set ROon up on the Mac, there's no way of changing/dedicasting a path?

Cheers,
Marius

I believe the solid state drive should contain both your OS and Roon installation and then once Roon is installed you point it to drives/network shares containing your local music collection.