Logitech Touch finally released!

Wayne1

Logitech Touch finally released!
« on: 7 Apr 2010, 12:51 am »
On Logitech.com the shopping cart shows the Touch as "in stock"

Logitech Shopping Cart

Earlier today, Squeezebox Server 7.50 was released.

Has Logitech finally resolved all the software issues involved with the Touch?

As soon as the Touch start to ship, I will have one here and start to evaluate it for mod potential.

« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2010, 03:16 pm by Wayne1 »

mcullinan

Re: Logitech Touch finally released?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2010, 12:57 am »
Says out of stock here in NY...
But Ive read elsewhere that release is imminent! Cant wait as I have one on preorder.
M

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:01 am »
I called them about my order and they are still mum.   They said sometime this month so I'll believe it when I get a tracking number. 

mchuckp

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:20 am »
I got one on order from Logitech and Amazon and not a word from either yet.

Wayne1

Re: Logitech Touch finally released!
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2010, 03:19 pm »
The Squeezebox Touch is officially available!!!

Squeezebox Touch Now Available

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2010, 08:39 pm »
The Squeezebox Touch IS now able to be ordered from the Logitech website.

My order is placed and verified. Hopefully all of the pre-orders will be shipping this week.

I expect to hear a lot of feedback about this unit starting next week.

I will post my impressions of the stock unit compared to my modded SB3 and DUET.

kyrill

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2010, 06:59 am »
i actually expect you Wayne to make the Touch really shine and with 96khz material to bring its older brother SB3 in the shadow.

I would appreciate yr comments and impression of the Touch compared with yr best modded SB3 and Duet. To make a fair comparison with red book material. maybe in the nearby future the CD industry will jump to 96khz?

I am really really already happy with my SB3 especially after yr last little mod the s/pdif capacitor mod
but...ergh the search for the holy grail never stops, no?

-------------------------------------
Hynes PWS-Wayne modded SB3-DEQX dac/preamp-triway amps:
bass: GR-research servo woofers, mid+ high: Joe Rasmussen modded Jadis Da-5 tube amps

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2010, 07:59 pm »
Thanks kyrill,

My Touch is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I have recently obtained quite a bit of 24/96 material to test it out with.

I have a few Statement SB3s here, a fairly well modded Duet and I can always drag out the ReBox unit for comparison.

The real test will be to bring it over to Mike Galusha's and compare it to his hyper modded Sabre DAC with modded M2Tech Hi Face delivering I2S direct to the Sabre. If the Touch can stay close to that, then it really is special.

mcullinan

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2010, 08:33 pm »
I am feeding my Touch into a Bryston BDA-1 and hear an improvement in detail and clarity over the SB3. So it seems the digital out has less jitter than its predecessor.

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2010, 08:35 pm »
My Touch arrived on Monday.
Feels good sounds good, great features. 
Definitely worth the wait.

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2010, 09:48 pm »
McMullin,
Great comment on comparison of the Touch to the SB3 - as digital transports.
Is the Touch into the Bryston BDA-1 an improvement over the Touch analog out?

I am feeding my Touch into a Bryston BDA-1 and hear an improvement in detail and clarity over the SB3. So it seems the digital out has less jitter than its predecessor.

mcullinan

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:21 pm »
Now thats a scary comparison! a $250 SB vs a 2K Dac... I will try this weekend.;)

Im going out on a limb to say the digital output is exceptional. Not like my rep can be tarnished...heh.

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2010, 06:43 pm »
My Touch finally arrived. I think it is really good looking. I like the touch interface a LOT!

I'll let it play for a bit, but initial impressions are very favorable.

mr_bill

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:36 pm »
Mr Mcullinan,
Did you compare your new Touch digital out to your BDA1, versus the Touch alone using analog output this weekend?
Inquiring minds want to know.
 :D

Now thats a scary comparison! a $250 SB vs a 2K Dac... I will try this weekend.;)

Im going out on a limb to say the digital output is exceptional. Not like my rep can be tarnished...heh.

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2010, 10:30 pm »
I haven't had much time for comparisons, but I CAN say, without question, the sound out of the Touch can be improved by using a very good linear power supply.

I have compared the stock switcher that comes with the Touch to one of my older "Ultimate PS. There is an easily heard audible improvement using the linear on the digital output. I have not listened to the analog outs, yet.

This is into my very inexpensive Panasonic HT receiver. I expect a bigger improvement can be heard with the analog outs into better quality electronics.

With the stock supply the highs are fairly harsh, in comparison The bass is not as full and deep as with the linear.

Now this is with a power supply that sold for 3 times the price of the Touch. There may improvement to be gained with lesser expensive power supplies. If some folks out there are replacing their SB2 or SB3 with the Touch, I would be interested to hear of your thoughts using it with the stock supply vs one of my linear supplies.

mcullinan

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2010, 11:06 pm »
I am using the CIAudio Linear PS and the sound is excellent. Crisp detail & clarity. No harsh highs.
I didnt even try the stock PS, figured the linear would be much better.

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2010, 11:47 pm »
mcullinan,

If you get the chance, could you plug the stock Touch PS in and take a listen? I would love to hear your thoughts about any difference you might detect.

Thanks
Wayne

FWIW, I did get a very short listen to an EE DAC that I did some changes to. I thought it sounded fuller than the Touch. I hope to have another one here shortly for some more experimentation on mods and comparison to the Touch.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:19 am »
It strikes me as curious why more users of the new touch aren't posting about its sound, I thought from the number of folks that were buying the touch I'd see more posts. Maybe its just too early in its debut? I'm seeing reviews that mention its wonderful-if your standing or sitting next to it to use the interface. Is it worth $299 plus additional $ for power supply etc. for an increase in fidelity or is it really just a sideways move in this mode of music delivery??

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:43 am »
Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

I happen to love the interface. It works very well with it's own remote and with the Controller. It will let you see the album art, if you want to, VU meters, or a digital clock.

Out of the box, it does sound better than a stock SB3 or DUET. The sound can be improved over stock with spending more money, but so can most audio products.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:54 am »
I don't disagree on any of those points, I can see from the videos that are around that the interface is very nice, and we all do spend money improving on stock items, I just thought I'd see more excitement....its all good music either way. :thumb: