SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home

wushuliu

SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home
« on: 3 Jul 2019, 07:45 am »
Outstanding.

I don't know how they do it. I don't know how Marvel has managed to make a 25-movie franchise based around characters and strong narratives. There's never been anything like it in film (closest I can compare is Pixar). For sure some of the Marvel movies are better than others and everyone has their favorites, but compared to your average CGI blockbuster I can't think of a single one that sucked. You'd think with Spider-Man having gone through so many reboots in the last 20 years and coming late in the Marvel line up, that his movies would be weaker. They are not. 'Homecoming' was one of the best Marvel ones made IMO, and Far From Home continues the streak. There is a theme with the Spider-Man villains that is timely and insightful while the relationships Peter has with his friends and MJ are natural and hilariously well crafted. The casting is perfect. Jake Gyllenhall pulls a surprising performance so relaxed and natural it's hard to believe it's him (deliberate and clever casting).

Avengers Endgame was a chore and obligatory wrap-up. Far From Home reminds you why Marvel achieved what they did.

Finally, a proper summer blockbuster. Highly Recommended.

Don't forget to sit through the credits (at the very least the first minute or so, and then a final one at the end).

uncola

Re: SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2019, 03:43 pm »
I liked it but I feel like mary jane and spiderman lacked chemistry

guf

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2019, 05:11 pm »
cool! i'm excited and seeing it tomorrow. Any thing you'd recommend to watch today to get the most out of tomorrow ?

guf

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2019, 05:49 am »
I liked it a lot. I saw it in a Dolby cinema and was blown away. I will have a hard time going to a “normal” theater any more.

MttBsh

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2019, 06:57 am »
As an old fart who watched lots of Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Green Hornet, etc. as a kid in the 60s - I just don't get how these Marvel movies appeal to anyone old enough to drink or to vote. Obviously I'm in the minority because these movies are extremely popular across a wide range of age groups.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2019, 12:13 pm »
As an old fart who watched lots of Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Green Hornet, etc. as a kid in the 60s - I just don't get how these Marvel movies appeal to anyone old enough to drink or to vote. Obviously I'm in the minority because these movies are extremely popular across a wide range of age groups.
You're in the minority, but not alone. I don't understand how people get so excited about the vapid dialog in these movies. Unless you want to see 30 minutes of meaningless drama encased in 90 minutes of unrealistic explosions, what's the point? Just awful stuff.

And get off my lawn.

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2019, 12:31 pm »

Why is it you say that? This Spider-Man series of films is aimed towards a younger demographic, it feels like, but the rest of the movies (for the most part) work for all ages.

I have mixed feelings with Far from Home. I enjoyed it, but wanted something a bit different. The whole 'kid lacking confidence' aspect is overdone in this series IMHO.

MttBsh

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2019, 03:51 pm »
I say it because "superheroes" were created for comic books (i.e. Marvel) and in my experience few people over about the age of 15 are entertained by comic books. Kids can be thrilled by superheroes flying around saving the day from cartoonish villains and lots of special effects, but most adults require a lot more substance; emotion, mystery and cerebral challenge to truly enjoy a film.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2019, 06:05 pm »
I say it because "superheroes" were created for comic books (i.e. Marvel) and in my experience few people over about the age of 15 are entertained by comic books. Kids can be thrilled by superheroes flying around saving the day from cartoonish villains and lots of special effects, but most adults require a lot more substance; emotion, mystery and cerebral challenge to truly enjoy a film.

I watch mainly cerebral and art house movies.  I still enjoy the heck out of the Marvel films.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2019, 06:28 pm »

I never grew up on comic books but over the last 30 years or so it's expanded into a huge industry geared to... adults. It's not a billion dollar industry based on teenage minimum wage earners. It's adult-oriented to the point where screenwriters can now break into Hollywood just by having their script adapted into a comic/graphic novel FIRST with a limited run and then pitch it to producers/studios. All the people I know who are super into comic books are grown @zz men. Not saying it doesn't weird me out, but that's what's happening.