Moss Wall art for sound absorption

Zitoun

Moss Wall art for sound absorption
« on: 12 Feb 2020, 03:50 am »
Hello,

I'd like to test sound absorption with moss, do you think this is a good idea ? what type of insulation panel will complement the natural absorption oif the moss ?

here is an image to illustrate the finished project.

Here is a sample I'd like to use as a test

« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2020, 12:50 pm by Zitoun »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Moss Wall art for sound absorption
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2020, 12:39 pm »
Where's the acoustic test results?  Never buy audio gear (including treatments) based on appearance or intuition.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2020, 12:58 pm »
Well, it's interesting I suppose.  Generally I try to retard the growth of moss in my home and yard no matter how much the deer love it.

Zitoun

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:03 pm »
Where's the acoustic test results?  Never buy audio gear (including treatments) based on appearance or intuition.

Thanks JML for the warning, I didn't  buy anything, this is just moss you can find in the streets, I am going to preserve them with glycerin and then use a frame to mount them on a panel of rockwool, but I have heard that does not absorb low frequencies, that's why I am asking in this circle what would be the ideal material and how can this be tested on a small scale.
Thanks
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2020, 05:08 pm by Zitoun »

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:04 pm »
I am not a botanist, though I play one on TV, but if it is damp enough to grow moss on a wall I'd suspect too damp for your equipment. Yes? No?  :scratch:

Zitoun

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:05 pm »
Well, it's interesting I suppose.  Generally I try to regard the growth of moss in my home and yard no matter how much the deer love it.

This is preserved moss, they can NOT grow anymore, they can stay as is for a decade without touching it.

Zitoun

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:09 pm »
I am not a botanist, though I play one on TV, but if it is damp enough to grow moss on a wall I'd suspect too damp for your equipment. Yes? No?  :scratch:

They are preserved with glycerin and alcohol, making them completly dry, a dye can give them the appearance of living moss.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:13 pm »
This is preserved moss, they can NOT grow anymore, they can stay as is for a decade without touching it.

Ah, thank you.  So it's a decorative cover for the underlying sound absorbtion.  Rockwool is a great material for that, better than fiberglass.  Safe n Sound is a rockwool product designed for it.  For bass frequencies you need more of it than the 2-4"s used in wall panels.  I used 12" in my bass traps.  I doubt the moss would have more than a minor contribution to the absorbtion.

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2020, 04:36 pm »
Cool idea Zitoun. How ‘hard’ does the moss get after treated? Point is it could turn into a reflective surface, so will change affected waves.
And no one but you can tell you when and where your intuition is useful.

Zitoun

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2020, 05:07 pm »
Cool idea Zitoun. How ‘hard’ does the moss get after treated? Point is it could turn into a reflective surface, so will change affected waves.
And no one but you can tell you when and where your intuition is useful.
Very good point, I'll do a test and get back to you.
If that works, this will be a very straight forward wife approval for an accoustic panel !

jtcf

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2020, 08:39 pm »
It will certainly help with reflections,but won't help with bass trapping.I think it will look nice but very difficult to keep off dust build-up.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2020, 02:57 am »
Yes, I hadn't thought about that, if the moss is hard and reflective it may offer some degree of diffraction, I'd imagine restricted to higher frequencies.  Is it soft or hard?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:44 am »

More about ‘Green Walls’ here:

https://www.ambius.com/green-walls/

Cheers,
Lester

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2020, 11:30 am »
Ah, thank you.  So it's a decorative cover for the underlying sound absorbtion.  Rockwool is a great material for that, better than fiberglass.  Safe n Sound is a rockwool product designed for it.  For bass frequencies you need more of it than the 2-4"s used in wall panels.  I used 12" in my bass traps.  I doubt the moss would have more than a minor contribution to the absorbtion.

Owens Corning 703 (high density fiberglass) is another excellent acoustic absorber.  My GIK 244 panels are highly effective. 

What is the substrate for the moss?  Is the moss pet tolerant?  Does the moss support microscopic growth (mold, bacteria, viruses) and how would you clean it (a disaster for healthcare facilities)?  And don't see any information or test results of sonic absorption or diffusion.