DIY not buy

phoner

DIY not buy
« on: 17 Feb 2016, 08:42 am »
Aloha fellow HiFiists,

i enjoy doing things as far as i can do them instead if just buying stuff and stapeling it.

So here are some of my projects and maybe some of you will join in to show us what can be done by ourselves....

I startet with optimizing the electric supply line,  that is cricial as all our signals are electricity of course

i made two seperate lines, one with two plugs and one with only one plug, this way i can experiment with differen setups when i connect the devices.

Also worth the work imo, bending the cables instead of cutting them when connecting the "double" wallplug.

The restruktured fusebox

The lower half is new as it was unused before and so i can have an extra row for each phase now.
I added plugs to the phase one and two to experiment with noise killer devices.
The plug on phase three is not connected but you can see the so called audiophile melting fuses which are used instead of the normal automatons.

And my selfmade Rack offcourse

I used carbon tubes for modelairplanes for the wallmounts.
The rack is decoubled from the floor with rubber elements.

Well, i would be glad if some of you guys have similar DIY stuff to show....
 :thumb:

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Re: DIY not buy
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2016, 10:14 am »
Ok. Here's my two cents worth!

I had a dedicated electric supply installed for my hifi when I refurbished my current home last year. The circuit breakers are fed from the company input thereby bypassing the house breaker box. I used 6mm cable from 2 x circuit breakers to unswitched wall plugs. Definitely worth it.

I have found Baltic Birch Ply the best material for a hifi rack and Versalex wall bracket. Aesthetically challenged though. The compromise was for me to use oak for the frame and BBP for the boards with a central hole of around 6" diameter cut out of the centre of each (a good Threadkiller tip). I posted pics on a previous thread.

rob400

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2016, 10:17 am »

Here's the wall bracket.

phoner

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2016, 10:58 am »
Wow, that is just beautiful.

And yes, it is always a good idea to make cut outs in panels to avoid resonance and reduce the area which picks up energie from soundwaves from the air.

To suppress resonance I stuffed foam from packages into the carbon tubes and used different thicknes of the panels to avoid having multiple panels with the same resonance.

rob400

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2016, 12:30 pm »
Wow, that is just beautiful.

And yes, it is always a good idea to make cut outs in panels to avoid resonance and reduce the area which picks up energie from soundwaves from the air.

To suppress resonance I stuffed foam from packages into the carbon tubes and used different thicknes of the panels to avoid having multiple panels with the same resonance.

Thanks phoner.  I have to confess to being a skilled Carpenter so not such a difficult task for me.

Your rack is an interesting design. It would be great to compare how our racks sound wouldn't it? Alas geography negates the opportunity. Keep us posted.
Rob

phoner

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2016, 05:37 pm »
at the momemt i am making my own cables, but i wont bother you with pictures of that.

that sayed, i am mostly done with posting my new stuff...

older projekts are:
 little coax speakers for my computer and two 12 inch subwoofers that are tried and true with 20Hz for my listening pleasure 8)
(exept that there is normaly not much to hear in the last octave, but that is possibly also true with the top octave especially for us older guys ;)

what i want to say is that: i am personally more interested in the DIY aspect.
for me HiFI is a Hobby that involves creativity and thinking. not only consumerism.
and my experience is that enjoing the music is even more satisfying if you have done something yourselves to get a result
(which is true for many aspects of living imo)

plus: you can really get good results for very little money with DIY

sfox7076

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2016, 08:00 pm »
Make sure to read your Home Owner's/Renter's insurance policy.  Some have exclusions for electrical work done by non-licensed electricians.  Not sure where the line on that gets drawn, but just a heads up.

phoner

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2016, 11:48 am »
youre absolutely right, in my case the fusebox had to be done by an electrician.
i wouldnt have done it myself anyway because i have to much respect from electricity, i would not touch it even if it is not so complicated to wire some fuses .

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2016, 03:03 pm »
Not sure why this thread hasn't gained traction. Perhaps it already exists and we're late to the game.
I find it extremely rewarding to design and build my own accessories even if it means puling in an outside resource to complete.

Made these frames for my 2.7's. Used 2" square, aluminum tubing, sand filled and finished with an automotive grade paint and clear coat.

Designed and procured a vendor to manufacture this face plate and cover for my Hafler 200.

I will reframe from showing off my wood working skills. It would most definitely offend the cabinet makers here.

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2016, 03:19 pm »
Not sure why this thread hasn't gained traction. Perhaps it already exists and we're late to the game.
I find it extremely rewarding to design and build my own accessories even if it means puling in an outside resource to complete.

Made these frames for my 2.7's. Used 2" square, aluminum tubing, sand filled and finished with an automotive grade paint and clear coat.

Designed and procured a vendor to manufacture this face plate and cover for my Hafler 200.

I will reframe from showing off my wood working skills. It would most definitely offend the cabinet makers here.

Hi Mr. Dieterle,
sorry for calling you Dieterle,
I don't know what else to call you?
I like your speaker frame, however,
would it be too much to ask for more picture to see more of your work.
I like your idea for the Hafler amplifier's front plate.
I did the same thing ofr my Decware SE84C+ but on a much smaller scale.
I like to modify the look of some things I have...

Guy 13

phoner

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2016, 06:35 pm »
great stuff
i like the magnepans, my first true hifi speaker, bought them secondhand and loved it...

inspired me to build an open baffle

in the end i used a closed box design for the subs in combinadion with the broadband speakers
i still use the bassspeakers for bassreflex woofers, very strong and deep ;)

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2016, 07:20 pm »
I like the face plate Guy, very clean look. Is it UHMW or delrin?

These are from my gallery. Probably the best pics I have of the finished frames.

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2016, 07:28 pm »
I like the open baffles phoner. I bet they provide the dynamic slam missing from the planars?

How about the painting, is that DIY too?  :D