IPad Pro to an Integrated amp

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
IPad Pro to an Integrated amp
« on: 8 Nov 2018, 04:50 pm »
Just moved and setting up my main rig. I have a 2nd system for TV (different room) I recently used a cheap Best Buy 3.5 to RCA connector to plug the I pad into an input on the integrated and Played playlists using YT Music. It sound OK but was wondering if there are any tweets that would help............ I think a better 3.3 to RCA cable may help. Don’t know about impact of use max out volume On the IPad Pro which I have been using, should I turn it down a little use more of the Volume on my Arcam amp

Stu Pitt

Re: IPad Pro to an Integrated amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2018, 06:34 pm »
If you’re doing YouTube videos, I’m not sure how much you’re really going to improve the sound with a cable. I’ve done this with an iPod Classic. There’s going to be a sweet spot of the volume on the iPad through the integrated. I’d find the right volume on the iPad where the signal is strong enough and use the integrated’s volume pot to turn it up and down.

There should be some docks or cables out there that bypass the ipad’s amplification. That should yield an improvement and not cost much.

I use an HRT iStreamer which takes the digital output and has its own DAC. Output to RCAs. It’s quite good. I don’t think they’re being made anymore, but they might be around on the used market. I can’t confirm it it works with your iPad, but it works with my iPhone SE. I’ll try my daughter’s iPad (the current plain iPad model) to see if that works too. I don’t see why it shouldn’t work because my iPhone is still a current model, but you know how that goes.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2018, 07:06 pm »
Thank Stu. Since this is a 2nd system and the YTube is good/not too bad , I’ll just sit tight for a while. it does allow for some greater music whilst in the kitchen open to TV room which are usually not a sweet spot

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2018, 08:22 pm »
Thank Stu. Since this is a 2nd system and the YTube is good/not too bad , I’ll just sit tight for a while. it does allow for some greater music whilst in the kitchen open to TV room which are usually not a sweet spot

I know where you’re coming from. I was just throwing the iStreamer idea out there if it’s around and cheap. I bought it for $150 or so several years ago as an open-box special from Music Direct. It’s been a pretty versatile and good sounding piece for me. It’s not a primary source, but it’s a solid secondary source that can be used in a lot of systems.

If you can find one for the right price, it’s definitely worth it. I don’t know what the headphone output of the iPad is like. It may be worth bypassing it with an inexpensive dock. Maybe not. It all depends on price.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2018, 12:16 am »
I think using Apple's $9 usb-c to 3.5mm adapter would give you better sound quality. The downside is you can't have the ipad plugged in during use.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2018, 10:04 pm »
If you’re mildly interested...

I confirmed the HRT iStreamer works with the current iPad. I don’t have a pro, just the standard current iPad. I don’t think the pro would be different.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2018, 10:07 pm »
I think using Apple's $9 usb-c to 3.5mm adapter would give you better sound quality. The downside is you can't have the ipad plugged in during use.
That could be a plus side too, though. It seems like everything you connect an iPad, iPhone, or iPod to charges it while playing. All that charging can’t be good in the long run. I’d like to see a feature where you could turn charging on and off.