Input Sensitivity Cherry Multi Channel Amps

ctbarker32

Input Sensitivity Cherry Multi Channel Amps
« on: 3 Sep 2020, 03:50 pm »
I have had my Cherry 5 channel amp for many months now and it has performed very well.

I do have a question about amplifier sensitivity and gain matching.

I see that you list the Cherry multi-channel amp input sensitivity as being 3.1 volts. My previous amp had an input sensitivity of less than 2 volts (1.7). I am finding with the Cherry Amp I have to do a lot of adjustments upward in input trims and channel balance trims to get the same relative volume setting as I was using before. Specifically, without boosting the output gain of my Processor (Emotiva XMC-2), I would be reaching the limits of the volume control to drive the Cherry Amp.

Could you comment on how you settled on the 3.1 volt input sensitivity and whether lowering that number would be better or worse?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Input Sensitivity Cherry Multi Channel Amps
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2020, 03:04 pm »
I have had my Cherry 5 channel amp for many months now and it has performed very well.

I do have a question about amplifier sensitivity and gain matching.

I see that you list the Cherry multi-channel amp input sensitivity as being 3.1 volts. My previous amp had an input sensitivity of less than 2 volts (1.7). I am finding with the Cherry Amp I have to do a lot of adjustments upward in input trims and channel balance trims to get the same relative volume setting as I was using before. Specifically, without boosting the output gain of my Processor (Emotiva XMC-2), I would be reaching the limits of the volume control to drive the Cherry Amp.

Could you comment on how you settled on the 3.1 volt input sensitivity and whether lowering that number would be better or worse?
The 5-CHerry uses Maraschino Monoblock boards, which have a gain of 22dB. This was chosen long ago to allow optimal component selection for low noise and maximum dynamic range.  Our other amps have more gain, like the STM with 24dB gain or the MEGA with 25.6dB gain.  Thanks for your post (: