Show coverage day 1

SoCalWJS

Re: Show coverage day 1
« Reply #80 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:21 pm »
I took a few shots with a point 'n shoot - nowhere near the quality of Pez's beautiful photos.

I got here a little before noon on Friday, and this is what greeted me:

Line went out the front door. I had preordered my ticket, and the line to buy on the day of the show was MUCH shorter. But hey, at least I got a cool preprinted name tag instead of writing my name on with a sharpie.

I decided to start on the main floor and hit the "Conifer 1" room first. Esoteric was the primary company. I don't believe I had ever heard their gear before. The music was standard Faire stuff - female vocals and Jazz, switching between Vinyl and a music server.

Overall, I thought the sound was very good on the material. WArm and inviting with natural /realistic sounding instruments. I would have liked to have heard other material, as I am always concerned that setups like this excel in some areas, but can't "rock out", which a stereo has to be able to do IMHO.

Chris Adams

« Reply #81 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:27 pm »
This AC coverage is phenomenal. I mean I've seen professional coverage that doesn't come near this for capturing the feeling of the room. Concise, no bullshit, excellent.

Ditto! Your coverage is excellent. Thanks a bunch.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #82 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:28 pm »
My next stop was the "Evergreen A" room - a large room featuring Ayon and Legacy. They had no fewer than 3 (maybe 4?) seperate systems setup, sometimes briefly fighting with one another. The sound was OK - I cant imagine it would be easy geting good sound in that room w/o major acoustical treatments, and I saw none. The systems were VERY dynamic and could easily go loud - they would meet my "rock out" requirement  :green:

PeteG

« Reply #83 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:32 pm »
Yes great job, it takes a lot of work to cover RMAF.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #84 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:40 pm »
I wandered into the "Iris" room which featured Balanced Power Technology, Empirical Audio, GIK and Mach2Music. I met "BPape" there (Bryan Pape from GIK) and got to chat with him for quite a while. Very nice to talk to, and extremely knowledgeable. I spent some time asking (whining really) about the acoustical problems in my room at home, and he was very helpful. I'll have to see what's left in the budget after 3 days here (gulp!)

bpape said he had set up the room for a large soundstage, and he wasn't kidding. He had set the room with tri traps, absorbers, and diffraction at the side wall first reflection points. The soundstage was truly wide.

(sorry for the quality on that one - was mainly making notes to myself on how the diffusers looked and were set up)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #85 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:39 pm »
Heading out to day2 - 1 last picture (although not very clear) since it was requested.

1 of the Modwright rooms.

Pez

« Reply #86 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:57 pm »
SoCalWJS, Galusha and everyone else helping out, thank you so much!!!

Everyone else I want to reiterate how much we appreciate your thanks! This is fun, but also a ton of work. You make it worth while.  :thumb:

Just a funny aside, yesterday alone I pushed over 10 gigabytes of data doing this coverage.   :o good thing I have unlimited data via AT&T! Only other issue was I had to upgrade my ohotobucket account to pro.  :icon_lol:

Onward to day 2!!!!!

pardales

« Reply #87 on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:15 pm »
Go get em Pez and Co. Your coverage is better than Stereophile.   :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #88 on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:30 pm »
 :D  very nice job guys.Like being there....Remember though,the AC coverage will not be really completed without a Lonewolf/Speaker shot, Ha..Really though,well done.... wish i was there..    :D

JackD201

« Reply #89 on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:35 pm »
Go, Go, Go Guys! Keep Rockin' it!!!!!!!! Awesome job!!!!!!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #90 on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:44 pm »
Awesome pics guys!  Thanks! :thumb:
Great to read your mini-reviews as well. :thumb:
I love my system, but seeing these pics  :drool: ... I gotta hit the lotto  :green:

geowak

« Reply #91 on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:46 pm »
Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. Never been to one of these kinds of "audio shows" but it sure looks fun!
Also it looks to me from the pics, in the IRIS room, that the YG speakers are powered by Parasound Amps. Looks like JC models??? Maybe some one can chime in.
Anyway I wish I could be at this show. It looks awesome....

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #92 on: 15 Oct 2011, 04:03 pm »
After a very busy week I get to look at this coverage - thanks guys! Enjoying the "you are there" coverage with the visceral reactions, and the deep thoughts "Finally, a tall speaker.  I love tall speakers!". It reminds me of my visit to T.H.E. show in Vegas earlier this year - I know how hard it is to see everything, remember the sound of all the rooms and take pictures too.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #93 on: 15 Oct 2011, 04:53 pm »
 I personal thanks to Pez and Tyson. Recovering from mutiple eye surgery I feel I'm there.  :D
   Say hi to Dave from PI Audio.  :thumb:

charles
SMA

Scottdazzle

« Reply #94 on: 15 Oct 2011, 08:54 pm »
Pez & Tyson,

Thought you'd like to know that a lot of your photos won't display on the computers in the Marriott computer room in the lobby.  Maybe they need to be a bit smaller?

You two disagreed on the Zu room so I'll be the tiebreaker. The system was sibilant, grainy, and veiled imho. I' haven't been to most of the rooms yet, but this was not up to the standards of most of the ones I've been to. Soundsmith has the current lead with me for rooms with speakers under $10k.

Scott

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #95 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:14 pm »
Scott,
Soundsmith speaker images?  Make/model?  Thanks!

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #96 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:55 pm »
Remember though,the AC coverage will not be really completed without a Lonewolf/Speaker shot

shadowlight

« Reply #97 on: 15 Oct 2011, 10:58 pm »
Finally the speaker model on display :-), way to go Chris.

Congratulation AJ.

drab

« Reply #98 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:28 pm »
No beer?!? Like Mona Lisa without her smile.  :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #99 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:30 pm »

this was one of my two "requests" for feedback.  anyone?   :green:

(i am also interested in hearing about the nova physics memory player 64 in rooms 1104, 1122, and 1125.)

thanks!   :thumb:

doug s.
ps - chris - you da man!   :lol: