Good Deed Speakers

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Good Deed Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2019, 11:23 pm »
Thanks everybody!  I really appreciate the feedback and encouragement.  As you can tell, this has been a labor of love.

What, no shot of the flared precision port on the rear of those Prince customs?  Just in case she ROCKS out, that won't make any surprising noises - I have used the 3 inch precision port in a car sub before, great products.   :rock:

Just for you, here it is.  And the flared port was a surprising PITA to work with, because I put my hole right behind the woofer, which meant I had very little space to put the crossovers on the bottom of the speakers, especially after I put NoRez everywhere.  Next time I'll up it up top, behind the tweeter where there's plenty of room.  "Prince Customs", haha I love it.  You can also see the tube kit speaker connectors that Danny (and I) love the sound of so much, and you can see the speaker wire I made for her, it's the Duelund 16ga wire terminated with the speaker tubes on one end and some ETI low mass pure copper banana plugs on the other.  But MOST importantly, I found techflex that was black, purple and gold.  Hehe.

Yeah, the story kind of makes me wish we could all be there to see Mary Lee's reaction to them being given to her.

I'll report back here this weekend with all the details. 

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2019, 03:33 am »
Great project and great gesture Tyson and crew, very cool.

Best,
Ed

HT cOz

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2019, 08:37 am »
Very nice way to play it forward! 

morganc

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2019, 02:30 pm »
 :thumb: beautiful work.

mgalusha

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2019, 03:07 pm »
Happy to help and glad they turned out well.

PeteG

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2019, 03:15 pm »
Awesome Tyson  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2019, 04:06 pm »
Thanks Tyson for the detailed pic.  The 3 inch port has a flare that is roughly 6 inches wide, so I know the pain of trying to fit those into a box - mind you I was working with subwoofer boxes roughly 1.5 cubic feet in size so much less constrained than what you had to deal with there.

Those "binding posts" of Danny's have always intrigued me, but I have not yet implemented them.

A great effort on the part of many to bring great music to one!

JakeJ

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jun 2019, 04:41 pm »
Very, very cool, Tyson, Pez, Danny, and any other helpers involved.  I did not see mention of a source for this system.  Has one been considered?  I would think a modern C&C streamer DAC might be an option.

Regardless, great story and thanks for sharing.

Jakej

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2019, 04:43 pm »
Thanks Tyson for the detailed pic.  The 3 inch port has a flare that is roughly 6 inches wide, so I know the pain of trying to fit those into a box - mind you I was working with subwoofer boxes roughly 1.5 cubic feet in size so much less constrained than what you had to deal with there.

Those "binding posts" of Danny's have always intrigued me, but I have not yet implemented them.

A great effort on the part of many to bring great music to one!

Those are only the 2" flared ports actually.

And if you haven't tried the tube connectors please consider giving them a try. I have had overwhelmingly positive feedback on those things from everyone.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jun 2019, 12:43 pm »
Awesome.

Thanks Tyson, and everyone involved in this labor of love and heart for both the collaboration and for sharing it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #30 on: 15 Jun 2019, 09:00 pm »
Hi everyone, just to finish out the story:

Met with Mary Lee today and gave her the speakers, she was very touched.  And surprised!  She's not normally a hugely emotive person, but there were some tears :) 

Thanks again to Mike, Jason and Danny for making this whole project possible - you guys are amazing!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #31 on: 15 Jun 2019, 09:07 pm »
You guys killed it.  Everybody gets a gold star⭐ by their name today.

Alan

SET Man

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jun 2019, 10:21 pm »
Hey!

That's a good deed indeed. Great looking little system there. Great job on the speaker, those are flat pack pre-cut cabs from Parts Express?

Anyway, you guys just scored some good Karma there :angel:

Buddy  :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jun 2019, 10:28 pm »
Excellent story.  I'm sure it meant a lot to her.  Good on ya!

Plund

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2019, 11:35 pm »
Tyson,  Thanks for sharing this experience... great, uplifting story!  Hmmmm, "Audio Angels" ... I think has a nice ring to it.

nature boy

« Reply #35 on: 16 Jun 2019, 11:48 pm »
Tyson,

Thanks for sharing this heart-warming story. You remind us all to pay it forward. Way to go.

NB