Moderate "hum" issue

mick wolfe

Re: Moderate "hum" issue
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:52 am »
You could test with just about any 12V power supply as long as it had the same polarity.

You are only interested in hum vs no hum for this test.

Steve

Steve.....I'm working that angle too. Thx.....Mick

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2012, 07:14 am »
Just throwing this out there, would one of these work? http://www.zzounds.com/item--TRXFTCHAMELEON

Its 12v 300ma, has bunch of different sized heads to fit just about any input size. Im a full time musician and im not really sure why I haven't thought of using one of these before. I have one of these permanently mounted on the bottom of my pedal board I tour with so removing it just to try this seems like a hassle unless I know it will power the table.

Do you guys think this would work? Ghetto DPS? ha 

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2012, 11:57 am »
Ok, the one problem with off the shelf wall warts is that they will almost never measure 12 volts. I'm making some more assumptions again, but I guessing your DC motor has a speed control, so varying voltage can be dealt with.

I was thinking of a true DC power supply like one of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=120-536

Wayner

mick wolfe

« Reply #23 on: 11 Sep 2012, 02:29 pm »
Thx Wayner. That certainly fits the budget.......Mick

SteevA

« Reply #24 on: 11 Sep 2012, 09:18 pm »
Ok, the one problem with off the shelf wall warts is that they will almost never measure 12 volts. I'm making some more assumptions again, but I guessing your DC motor has a speed control, so varying voltage can be dealt with.
I doubt the one that comes with the table will measure exactly 12V either.  Mosty likely, if you put a DMM on it, it will measure around 14V as you would be measuring it without load.  Anyway, for an initial hum vs no hum test, having the correct speed speed does not matter.

If you decide to stay with a different (but not DPS) supply then getting close to the original voltage would matter a bit more.  It is easy enough to measure the voltage of the supplied unit and then set an adjustable one to match then use the speed pot on the TT got do any fine tuning.

Steve

mick wolfe

« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2012, 05:02 pm »
For the record, the hum issue has been resolved by simply replacing the original wall wort. A fellow AC member and Amadeus owner sent me an Enercell ( Radio Shack) power
adapter to try. ( part # 273-316) No hum and even better sound  from the Amadeus. Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

threadkiller

« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep 2012, 05:18 pm »
Good to hear.  When I switched to Naim gear we switched out the original wall wart for a Triad brand.  Worked perfect.  And now with the dps no problems either.  At least it's fairly easy to sort if you do have a mismatch.

I was told, by crazy Pierre of Mapleshade, that one should split the wires of the wallwart and spread them apart 6".  I tried it- hard to keep them apart. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:58 pm »
Good to hear.  When I switched to Naim gear we switched out the original wall wart for a Triad brand.  Worked perfect.  And now with the dps no problems either.  At least it's fairly easy to sort if you do have a mismatch.

I was told, by crazy Pierre of Mapleshade, that one should split the wires of the wallwart and spread them apart 6".  I tried it- hard to keep them apart.

Pierre's OK, but that's one of his tips I think I'll pass on. He produces some of the sounds from a CD I've ever heard though.

threadkiller

« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2012, 07:10 pm »
I had my maple board period.... :cry: