One year or lifetime warranty ? ? ?

Guy 13

One year or lifetime warranty ? ? ?
« on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:51 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Why most manufacturers give a one to three years warranty and some (rare) others give a lifetime warranty ? ? ?
To me, look as if a manufacturer gives a lifetime warranty, it’s because the manufacturer has total confidence in his product(s).
Of course, I have seen some manufacturers giving a lifetime warranty, but jacking up or even doubling up their retail price to cover for the warranty, that's not what I call a confidence warranty. Some manufacturers use the lifetime warranty as a temporary promotional incentive and later on, they come back to the more standard one year warranty.
Of course most of the lifetime warranty are for the first owner and its not transferable.
All comments are welcome.
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: One year or lifetime warranty ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:01 am »
A warranty has to be realistic in my opinion. In order for it to be realistic, it has to be supportable.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:04 am »
Bryston has a 20 year warranty on analog products / 5 years on digital products and cables.

Odyssey has a 20 year warranty on parts / 2 years on labor.

What audio manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty?

Steve

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:09 am »
What audio manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty?

Steve
Hi Steve and all Audio Circle members.
The two manufacturers that I know, but there might be more.
Decware Audio and Wright Audio.
Guy 13

srb

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:26 am »
I wasn't aware any audio manufacturers offered lifetime warranties, and both manufacturers you cited actually sell fairly reasonalby priced equipment!

The majority of audio manufacturers have 3 to 5 year warranties.  Anything less than 3 years I tend to steer away from, but I don't think 3 years is an unreasonble warranty period either.  But as in a lot of things in life, the mo' the better!

Steve

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:41 am »
I wasn't aware any audio manufacturers offered lifetime warranties, and both manufacturers you cited actually sell fairly reasonalby priced equipment!

The majority of audio manufacturers have 3 to 5 year warranties.  Anything less than 3 years I tend to steer away from, but I don't think 3 years is an unreasonble warranty period either.  But as in a lot of things in life, the mo' the better!

Steve
Hi Steve and all Audio Circle members.
What irritate me a lot is when I see a prestigious and well know audio manufacturer that claim he has the best product in the world and only gives a one year warranty. I have noticed that many times he or they don't claim that their products are extremely reliable, they only insist on the sound quality, not the reliability.
What you guys think about that?
Guy 13
Note: I think a three to five years warranty, should be the minimum for any products.