Where is everybody???

DTB300

Where is everybody???
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2005, 05:50 pm »
Quote from: Robert57
And I too am very intrigued by the Velodyne room correction system (DD10) and would love to hear from others how far this goes toward the full benefits a digital TacT RCS 2.2x-type approach can bring, without the WAF issues of traps.

Tact is full audio spectrum EQing where the SMS-1 is from 20 - 200.  Both of these units show you the effect to the signal as you are making changes.  

With traps you need to place, test, place, test, but when done right Bass Traps make a difference in improving your bass.  But when using the assistance of a company like Real Traps, this can help immensely in fast forwarding the learning curve of room acoustics.

Dan

Robert57

Where is everybody???
« Reply #21 on: 12 Dec 2005, 07:30 pm »
Quote from: DTB300
Tact is full audio spectrum EQing where the SMS-1 is from 20 - 200.  Both of these units show you the effect to the signal as you are making changes.  

Dan

Thanks , Dan. It's great to hear the SMS-1 has tighted up the bass nicely for you. Do you know if it adjusts the time domain as well as the frequency EQ, to allow for different postion (distance) of the sub vs. L&R, and reflections?

Rob

DTB300

Where is everybody???
« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2005, 02:10 am »
Thanks , Dan. It's great to hear the SMS-1 has tighted up the bass nicely for you. Do you know if it adjusts the time domain as well as the frequency EQ, to allow for different postion (distance) of the sub vs. L&R, and reflections?

No time delay is part of the unit.  Low Pass Freq & Slope, Phase, Polarity, Sub Sonic Frequency and Slope, volume control, 8 Band Parametric EQ (level + Q for each band), plus 6 programmable Presets - each preset can have it own EQ curve, or can share a common EQ curve.  Each Preset can also have a certain key frequencey that can be attenuated.  For instance with the default setting, Preset 1 has a boost at 35Hz of 5dB's - Velodyne calls this the movie setting.  

But again you can change any of the settings from default to what you want. I use the presets to have different low pass frequency settings for sources that need more or less bass - and of couse adjustment of the volume level too - all on the remote.

The best Preset is #6 which disables the EQ curve that you have set.  This is where you really experience the true advantage of the SMS-1 and what is has given you in terms of controlled bass for your sitting position in your room.

Dan

Chris_B

Where is everybody???
« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2005, 02:35 am »
Quote from: Dave G
Chris -- you must live close by. We live in McLean near Kirby Road.

I am in N. Arlington near Westover and E. Falls Church Metro so we are pretty close to each other.

I'd love to hear more from Woodsyi and Chris_B. about their tube rolling on the Modwright SWL SE to see how to add a tad more richness to the tone.

I just put a pair of Amperex 5119s into the SWL SE.  They are a little more forward without being too edgy.  I am pleased since that was the direction I was trying to go in.  I have the stock Jan Philips 5687s and that came with the SWL and the Tung Sol 5687s that came with the Modwright Signiture 999ES.    You are welcome to try either if you want.  My guess is that Dan includes relatively neutral tubes of decent quality stock and it is up to us to roll them for whatever flavor we want.

Quote from: woodsyi
Chris or anybody else interested.  I just had a tearful  :wink: send off of my wife and daughter to Philadelphia for 3 days.  She has a couple of presentation to give at a convention.  She will be back Wednesday.  So for the next 3 nights I will be a batchelor.  What to do.... We can hook up Monday or Tuesday evening for an audio session.  I still got a bunch of fine beer left over from the meeting and I, of course, keep a good supply of single malt Scotch and red wine. :mrgreen:

Woodsyi - I need to take you up on the offer at some point but this week is pretty bad.  My wife and kids are just getting ver a stomach virus and I would be lynched if I suggested leaving for the evening to go drink beer and listen to music  :lol: .  I am definitely into it sometime soon though.  I really want to hear the VMPSs and the beer/wine/scotch offer is hard to pass up too.

Robert57

Where is everybody???
« Reply #24 on: 14 Dec 2005, 11:49 pm »
This review of the Velodyne SMS-1 just appeared on Audio Asylum. Thanks, Dan, for your succinct explanation. It sounds like a very cost effective way to address a large share of the bass correction problem. And I believe just about all this functionality is built into Velodynes's Digital Drive series of subs (e.g.the DD12).

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/211716.html

Rob

DTB300

Where is everybody???
« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2005, 02:21 am »
Just read the review and it was a fairly generic post/review.  They did make a mistake as the unit has 8 bands of Parametric EQ, and they did not mention that each bands center point and Q can be set by the user.  They also did not mention the ability of the Presets with multiple or single response curves for the Presets - a big plus.  

Bottom line is it does work and perform as marketed.

Dan

slwiser

Where is everybody???
« Reply #26 on: 26 Dec 2005, 03:32 am »
Hello All,

I have lurked here for a while without posting.  Just wanted to wave a flag....

Merry Christmas All