Paralysis of analysis!

Jmitchell3

Re: Paralysis of analysis!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2019, 05:20 am »
Yes it does anchor the dialogue to the screen, this is true! And the primary purpose of this is in home theater applications where there are more than one or two people enjoying the film. When it’s just me an another two channel would be fine but if someone else is sitting to the extreme left or right on my sectional or recliner to the sides they won’t have such a great experience. I’m a true fan of multi channel HT in most all circumstances but two channel when I’m listening to music on my own...in the sweet spot.

Just my opinion, but I feel a center channel speaker (for the vast majority of installations) is a waste of money. The center channel anchors dialog to the center of the screen. If your speakers image well, and are only 6’ to  8’ apart, I personally don’t see the need for the extra speaker, cable, and amplification. However, if you’re dealing with a 120” screen, a center channel is much more valuable. IMHO it’s better to spend that money on incrementally better main speakers. Just something to consider.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #21 on: 1 Jan 2020, 09:48 pm »
If it was me I'd do the new studio monitor with the sealed midrange and open Neo10 tweeter, sit that on top of a sealed Rythmik sub so that your to mains are 'full range'.

Tyson,

That’s an interesting idea....better than nx-oticas paired with one or more sealed f12 units?? Lol.

Not sure how much those little monitors would be able to put out? (The room is pretty large, a great room (18’x30’ overall) where the living room area is 18’ deep by 16’ wide with a wall on the right side, open to kitchen area on the left. )

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 1 Jan 2020, 10:10 pm »
Tyson,

That’s an interesting idea....better than nx-oticas paired with one or more sealed f12 units?? Lol.

Not sure how much those little monitors would be able to put out? (The room is pretty large, a great room (18’x30’ overall) where the living room area is 18’ deep by 16’ wide with a wall on the right side, open to kitchen area on the left. )

Seeing your picture of your HT, I'd get 5 of the Studio Monitors.  I got a chance to extensively demo them over the past week at Danny's workshop and they are probably the best bookshelf speaker in the world right now.  Then get a sub or 2 and place them where you want them. 

Jmitchell3

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jan 2020, 10:17 pm »
Gotcha. Good info jealous you got to demo all of Danny’s good stuff! I know they aren’t the same ballpark but how did the monitors compare to the oticas?

I’m running 3.1.2 now, lol a monitor as a center would be a bit awkward looking! Maybe Danny needs to design a center for ht. What would be a close 2nd as a center channel to pair with the monitors?

Note: current sub is svs pb13ultra locates in rear corner of my room.

Seeing your picture of your HT, I'd get 5 of the Studio Monitors.  I got a chance to extensively demo them over the past week at Danny's workshop and they are probably the best bookshelf speaker in the world right now.  Then get a sub or 2 and place them where you want them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2020, 11:03 pm »
Gotcha. Good info jealous you got to demo all of Danny’s good stuff! I know they aren’t the same ballpark but how did the monitors compare to the oticas?

I’m running 3.1.2 now, lol a monitor as a center would be a bit awkward looking! Maybe Danny needs to design a center for ht. What would be a close 2nd as a center channel to pair with the monitors?

Note: current sub is svs pb13ultra locates in rear corner of my room.

I'd just turn the studio monitor on it's side and use that.  All of Danny's speakers have excellent off axis response so you'd be fine doing it this way.  BTW, the standard MTM layout most center channels have is terrible from a technical perspective.  The mid drivers are always too far apart to avoid lobbing.  So you end up with worse off-axis response, not better.  Why in the world it's taken hold as the default design just boggles my mind. 

The studio monitor sounds almost exactly like the NX-Otticas in the upper bass, midrange and highs.  Because it uses the same drivers and the tweeter is still OB, so you can place it close to a wall but still get that open, spacious sound. 

Jmitchell3

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jan 2020, 11:11 pm »
That’s interesting about the center mtm design. Also the center is most always primarily dialogue, I guess in that instance it wouldn’t matter that much. Hmmm.....that actually sounds like a great intro for one to both OB and DIY speaker builds (one like me!). Sounds like a winner!! Thanks for the input!! Enjoy those fortes! :))

I'd just turn the studio monitor on it's side and use that.  All of Danny's speakers have excellent off axis response so you'd be fine doing it this way.  BTW, the standard MTM layout most center channels have is terrible from a technical perspective.  The mid drivers are always too far apart to avoid lobbing.  So you end up with worse off-axis response, not better.  Why in the world it's taken hold as the default design just boggles my mind. 

The studio monitor sounds almost exactly like the NX-Otticas in the upper bass, midrange and highs.  Because it uses the same drivers and the tweeter is still OB, so you can place it close to a wall but still get that open, spacious sound.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 1 Jan 2020, 11:50 pm »
I’m running the Otica MTM/dual subs in a 4.1 system with a sealed servo sub for the .1. No center channel. The Oticas image so well and the bass is so clean a center channel speaker is not needed for dialogue.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #27 on: 2 Jan 2020, 02:46 am »
Did either of you do the cabinet isolation as prescribed?

We just left the speakers stock.

Rocket Ronny

Jmitchell3

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jan 2020, 03:41 am »
I’m running the Otica MTM/dual subs in a 4.1 system with a sealed servo sub for the .1. No center channel. The Oticas image so well and the bass is so clean a center channel speaker is not needed for dialogue.

Oh, ok I think I understand. Front left and front right made up of otica mtm + Dual OB sub for full range on each channel, with a third sub for LFE content in 5.1 channel feeds?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:54 am »
Oh, ok I think I understand. Front left and front right made up of otica mtm + Dual OB sub for full range on each channel, with a third sub for LFE content in 5.1 channel feeds?

Yes, that's how my system is set up. The third sub for the LFE content is one of Danny's sealed 12" servo sandbox subs.

Here's the front

And here's the back. The sandbox sub is next to the recliner