Music to help you Sleep?

Mag

Music to help you Sleep?
« on: 27 Oct 2023, 02:28 pm »
   What music do you use to help you to fall asleep?
   Lately my sleep pattern is all messed up, so I try to force myself to sleep even though I'm not tired, in order to get back on track. So I've been trying Soft Piano music (not in my Playlists), seems to work. If I play music from one of my Playlists that tends to keep me awake.
 Another thing that seems to work is listening to News or Documentary on Youtube. Have to adjust the volume so that it is not overly loud. Just hearing people talking at a low level I can usually fall asleep. :smoke:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Music to help you Sleep?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2023, 04:43 pm »
I cant sleep with any kind of music or light.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2023, 05:15 pm »
Sorry but I need pitch black and total silence to sleep.  And a cold room.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2023, 06:10 pm »
Sorry but I need pitch black and total silence to sleep.  And a cold room.

Total silence drives me insane. Need the hum of a fan to keep me sane.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2023, 06:17 pm »
I need a fairly quiet room with cool room (19C), but warm blankets....

Double A

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2023, 10:11 pm »
+1 on a cold room. YT are plenty of what they call ''music'' or rain/white noise and others exotics to sleep, there is 8,10,12hours or more videos to the guy spend all night long the computer on wasting electricity.

This image was posted in the last page Today Smile topic, these eccentric musical habits are the desire of every equipment manufacturer.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2023, 10:52 pm »
Try Peter Pearson. It's great music too! IIRC, Eno and Fripp did at least a couple albums together that should fit the bill.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2023, 11:20 pm »
Here's a few for you:

YouTube allows you to change the speed of this. Maybe play with that if it's too slow:
https://youtu.be/vNwYtllyt3Q?si=TqQLhsNFBih51VZy

Here's a link to a "Chill cello playlist" I did a few year ago. Haven't added much, but if you find it relaxing, it might help:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLha8XYGpBrcKpJa-6eA8qtV7nyexCKp4g&si=vW2cZTAostw-uxr2

Here's a dedicated "Sleep" playlist I created a while back:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLha8XYGpBrcKYCINeVhZfWVB1FJx3KgN0&si=L-RZbuiXFAFaeZjD

My playlist called, "Downtempo Instrumental chill". Pretty self explanatory:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLha8XYGpBrcJOo24aoK7-zFREbsY1_R5a&si=yVRRo5CkCLNiUhyL

A buddy sold me on the idea of music and tones based on Hertz. Here's a 432Hx playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLha8XYGpBrcLWw_2QVwkOfMhs0YIv1yoE&si=rjd18CUT1fjuJI7U

Another list I called "Sleep":
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLha8XYGpBrcI8W7jBc7oHNKPCAH0QMJbg&si=Clc5BQhUte0WVbZc

Maybe the sounds of a forest?;
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLha8XYGpBrcIUJWhRuGGqyLt8IyxCk5T3&si=WH7m_w4Kei_qIzvY

Also, if you find songs that work out for you, you can put them on a playlist (like I did), and select [repeat], so the music doesn't end in the middle of the might.
I'd also find a YT channel with "24 hours of black screen" to display while the music was playing. Depending on the device you're listing with, YT doesn't like to be "dimmed", or the screen turned off.
As you can see, I've spent quite some time on this subject. Hopefully, you get through the sleep problems like I did. I've not listened to any of these in quite some time, hopefully all the links/tunes are still there.

Oh... Youtube likes their ads and has recently rejected the use of ad blockers. That means you might get a rude awakening JUST AFTER you actually fall asleep.
Be well!
Bob

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2023, 11:49 pm »
I'd also find a YT channel with "24 hours of black screen" to display while the music was playing.
My monitor have a on/off button. I was told that Florida state recommends when one go away traveling for many days, leave the air conditioning turned on. What I didnt believe it very much.

keenween

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2023, 10:57 pm »
Ray Lynch - Sky of Mind

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2023, 03:01 am »
Full stand up sets. Favourite ones that I've watched quite a few times. It's just spoken word and the thing is you know what's about to come. It's still enjoyable each time but there is no novelty (hence your brain doesn't feel like it has to register a new thing and wake up). The familiarity adds a routine. I'd have it on a tablet at low volume level. Just enough to make our the words. Brightness turned to minimum and I don't look at the screen. Eyes closed. Obviously, you can have it set up so only the audio is playing and the screen is turned off, but I didn't like that. I prefer my screen off, minimum brightness, and not looking. Just minimal presence which adds to it. I'd add a sleep timer for 30 minutes to make it automatically turn off. I'm usually out before that so I never notice screen/audio turn off.

This is what I found useful back in my earlier days where I had to travel and be in different rooms and such. The consistency of it is what made it work I guess.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2023, 05:08 pm »
Listening to MC5’s Kick Out the Jams helps me unwind at night.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2023, 10:51 am »
Like many people I have the TV on to fall asleep.  Very low volume, small TV, not too much light.  I go to live Roku TV and put on any of those ancient alien, UFO hunters, Bigfoot searches.  Boring people droning on about possible sightings by other people does the trick every time.

simoon

« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2023, 05:30 pm »
Music alone, even ambient, does not help me sleep.

Music, with the addition of binaural beats imbedded, helps me quite a bit. Or better yet, my binaural beat sound and light generator, puts me to sleep every time, if I am having problems.

A little background.

The human brain operates in 4 main frequency ranges, depending on what state it is in:

Beta (β) - 12-35 Hz  This is associated  with active brain state, anxiety, external attention. This is when we are at work, driving, active in sports, etc.
Alpha (α) - 8–12 Hz  This is when we are Very relaxed, passive attention.
Theta (θ)   4–8 Hz     Deeply relaxed, inward focused. This frequency range is associated with states of deep meditation.
Delta (δ)   0.5–4 Hz  This is the frequency range while we are asleep.

The brain is unable to hear these frequencies, but if one ear hears , say, 1200 Hz, and the other hears 1208, the brain hears the interference between the 2, and a third frequency of 8 Hz is heard. Binaural beats only work with headphones.

There is a brain phenomena known as the "frequency-following response" (FFR), in which, when the brain detects these frequencies, it tends to try to synch up to them. So, when one listens to binaural beats, that start at say, 15 Hz (beta), then over time, ramp down to under 4 Hz (delta), the brain will try to sync with those frequencies, causing the brain to slowly descend to delta, and thus, sleep.

While binaural beats alone, are pretty effective, the addition of flickering lights (seen behind closed eyelids) at the same frequency as the binaural beats, causes the FFR to be even more effective.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/noise-and-sleep/binaural-beats

I usually use my Photosonix Nova 100 for mediation (since I am too lazy to learn to meditate :D), but if I am having a hard time falling asleep, I will use it for that, too. There are other companies making the same type of device, some less or more expensive.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2023, 05:53 pm »
My monitor have a on/off button. I was told that Florida state recommends when one go away traveling for many days, leave the air conditioning turned on. What I didnt believe it very much.

Mold will happen if no AC on. I know cost me thousands to mevove it.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2023, 05:55 pm »
 No TV no music. A Shuman resonator works for me. Over 8 hours a night. Clear your mind and smile. Try it it works.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2023, 11:05 pm »
No TV no music. A Shuman resonator works for me. Over 8 hours a night. Clear your mind and smile. Try it it works.

charles
Looks interesting, do you would suggest me a reliable model from Amazon?
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2023, 02:49 am by FullRangeMan »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2023, 11:14 pm »
Music, with the addition of binaural beats imbedded...............
Wow, that's pretty interesting. I no longer have trouble sleeping, but this looks like something fun to try.
If only I had some headphones....  :lol:

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2023, 11:22 pm »
Hi all.
For me music that will help me sleep, is boring music.
Music that I like will keep me awake.
Soooooo.... No music only count sheeps.

Double A

simoon

« Reply #19 on: 1 Nov 2023, 06:08 pm »
Wow, that's pretty interesting. I no longer have trouble sleeping, but this looks like something fun to try.
If only I had some headphones....  :lol:

There are plenty of 'videos' on YT with binaural beats, that are pretty effective. Just search for "binaural beats meditation" or similar verbiage.

The problem is, many of them will have some bogus claims in the title, such as "Serotonin, Dopamine, Endorphin Release", or "pineal gland activation", LOL. But, that doesn't mean they are ineffective at helping the mind enter theta state.

But yeah, you need headphones.