Advice In Setting Up My New Oppo BDP-105

limits

Advice In Setting Up My New Oppo BDP-105
« on: 8 Aug 2013, 02:31 pm »
Hi Everyone:

I have a question for you all--I should be getting my new 105 today, and I am planning on removing my Outlaw model 990 from pre/pro duties and using the Oppo direct to my 5 channel amp. My question is should I run the left/right analog outputs from the dedicated 2 channel outputs on the Oppo to my mains, and then use the surround outputs to my center and surrond left/right?

Are the output levels different? I know they both use the same chip, but are implemented differently. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Sorry if this has already been discussed, I searched, but couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks;
limits

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Advice In Setting Up My New Oppo BDP-105
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2013, 07:18 pm »
I have no experience with Oppo, but you can wire it up that way, and see how it sounds.

limits

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2013, 07:34 pm »
Hi Bob:

Thanks for the response. I will give it a shot. After ...ahem... reading the manual (RTFM!) :scratch: it appears this is the way to go. I found this on page 74 of the manual:

7. Stereo Signal: To select the audio source that will be processed and sent out through the STEREO
and the XLR BALANCED STEREO audio terminals. The available options are:

limits

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2013, 08:00 pm »
My cut 'n' paste didn't work...let me try that again:

7. Stereo Signal: To select the audio source that will be processed and sent out through the STEREO
and the XLR BALANCED STEREO audio terminals. The available options are:

Down-mixed Stereo – The stereo or down-mixed stereo signals are processed and sent out
from the dedicated stereo output terminals.

Front Left/Right – The original Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) signals are sent out
from the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC
hardware originally assigned to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multichannel
speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone 2 output. When this
option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of
the 7.1ch / 5.1ch / Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be
connected.

Seems it could have been worded a little better, but I think it answers my question.

limits

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison

limits

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2013, 05:16 pm »
North Star:

Thank you very much for the links. Some great stuff in there. I did get things hooked up last night and did some limited listening. I guess the jury is still out on whether or not this is the way to go. Things did seem a bit shrill, but will keep at it this weekend to see if things settle a bit. My problem with using the Outlaw 990, as I understand it, is that it does another A to D to A conversion to apply the channel trim, delay, and bass management settings. But it may still sound better this way.

On the oppo, I did use the dedicated stereo analog outs (RCA) along with the appropriate stereo settings, and this seemed to work out OK. Nice unit, though!

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:21 pm »
The Oppo 105 is a fantastic Universal audio/video component. ...It's more that this and that; it's unique in all its versatility.

* It's all about system matching (synergy), and experimenting. ...The sweet Music to our ears.