1 or 2 SMPS's for NCore?

AlliumPorrum

1 or 2 SMPS's for NCore?
« on: 4 Apr 2013, 04:54 pm »
Does anyone have experience on using one SMPS600 for two NCores? I'm planning to build active 3- way system, and I quite sure that 100-150W per channel would be quite enough for me. So, from the maximum power point of view, there isn't much idea to use a 600W power for the amps. But I'm surely looking for the best possible sound quality, and I would not want to make big compromises on that.

So; does one SMPS per 2 amps only limit the maximum power, or does is have any kind of negative effect to the sound quality?

dburna

Re: 1 or 2 SMPS's for NCore?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:16 pm »
When I had someone build me NCore amps, I asked numerous people that same question.  Answer came back consistently that there was no loss of sound quality.  Even the designer has stated this, I believe.  For that reason, I opted for a single chassis (small footprint) stereo NCore implementation with one SMPS.  Now, I have not done a side-by-side comparison, so I can't confirm if there is any sonice difference, but I have been very pleased with the one SMPS amp I am using.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.  If you know you don't need tons of power, why not save space/chassis/cost?  I am pretty certain that the NCores will not be a weak link in your system by a long shot.

Best, -dB (a unit measure of noise)

this_is_vv

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:27 pm »

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:41 pm »
Thank you very much for your answers!

Dburna; can you give me any advices for the construction;
- how was the wiring done (I think that stock wiring is for 1 SMPS per 1 Ncore), is there anything to be noted in such a setup?
- which case did you use?
- would it be possible to have a picture of your amp, just to have an idea of the layout & wiring?

This_is_vv; I have understood that SMPS1200 is for UCD's, not for Ncores? And as I said, I really don't need that kind of power, so I wouldn't want to pay for "too high" powered amps.

this_is_vv

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2013, 07:18 pm »
Thank you very much for your answers!

Dburna; can you give me any advices for the construction;
- how was the wiring done (I think that stock wiring is for 1 SMPS per 1 Ncore), is there anything to be noted in such a setup?
- which case did you use?
- would it be possible to have a picture of your amp, just to have an idea of the layout & wiring?

This_is_vv; I have understood that SMPS1200 is for UCD's, not for Ncores? And as I said, I really don't need that kind of power, so I wouldn't want to pay for "too high" powered amps.

I think people have used for NC400 and its actually cheaper then SMSP 600 check in hypex if i am not wrong...but anyhow i was just pointing.

V

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

Shaman

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2013, 12:55 am »
...its actually cheaper then SMSP 600 check in hypex if i am not wrong...

Perhaps there is a reason for that. ;)

1 or 2 SMPS600s? Depends on the application.
For a fully active system, you certainly need less power since you don't have a passive crossover; the amps are interfaced with the drivers directly.

As I'm planning a similar setup, I'm going with a shared SMPS600 for the mid & tweeter amps and a separate SMPS600 for the bass NCore.
YMMV ofc, depending on the drivers you plan on using (sensitivity, power handling etc.).

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:17 am »
Thanks Shaman! I would be also using Ncores for mids & highs; probably Magneplanar ribbons for highs and B&G NEOs or RDs for mids. Basses will be driven by a separate power amp of their own.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:25 pm »
I think people have used for NC400 and its actually cheaper then SMSP 600

People have used it, and it works, but it is not ideal - among other things, it doubles the idle power consumption of the nC400.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:27 pm »
Does anyone have experience on using one SMPS600 for two NCores?

Works great for me - I have 8 nc400's in total, powered by 4 smps600's (4-way active system).