Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown passes away. R.I.P.

Freo-1

Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown passes away. R.I.P.
« on: 17 Dec 2022, 04:43 pm »
Saw that Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown passed away on December 13th.  Savoy Brown was one of the bands that introduced me to the blues back in 69/70. 
A genuinely good guy who will be missed.  R.I.P.

garyalex

Re: Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown passes away. R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2022, 07:15 pm »
I'm very sad to hear Kim died.  Following the release of their first album Savoy Brown was very popular in Detroit 1969-1970.  They played the Grande Ballroom many times, which is where I heard them.  They called it their second home.  I can still vividly remember Chris Youlden singing John Lee Hooker's "Don't Turn Me From Your Door" wearing a top hat and fur coat (in the summer), Kim on a blistering lead guitar, Lonesome Dave and Roger playing deep, funky rhythm.  Fifteen hundred or so kids stomping, yelling and temporarily in a place where nothing but the music mattered.  All the ugly stuff outside was held at bay, just for a little while.

Thanks for all that you did Kim.  Rest in peace.

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2022, 08:27 pm »
I saw them open for Fleetwood Mac. That was the Mac edition with Kirwan, and Christine was the singer. Savoy Brown was a very good band. RIP Kim.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2022, 03:18 pm »
Sad news, such a great band, and so much great blues. Thanks for all the music Mr. Simmonds, Rest in Peace.

jtcf

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2022, 11:14 pm »
Sorry to hear this. I saw them in 69 in Grand Rapids at one of those concerts consisting of several bands.I think the ticket was $5.I remember them but none of the bands impressed.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2022, 12:42 pm »
I remember them as having one of the best group names ever.  RIP

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2022, 12:29 am »
RIP.
I heard them when they headlined a concert on LI in '69. The other bands were Mountain with Leslie West (the opener) and The Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart.
All three were impressive. 

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2022, 07:51 am »
I saw them open for Fleetwood Mac. That was the Mac edition with Kirwan, and Christine was the singer. Savoy Brown was a very good band. RIP Kim.

Must have seen them on the same tour. IIRC Savoy Brown was supporting "Hellbound Train" and Fleetwood Mac "Future Games". Damn hardwood floors of the Hollywood (floors) Paladium for me. Great show though.

Really liked Savoy Brown through "Lion's Share", which was the last album Dave Walker did with them before joining......Fleetwood Mac.

Kim was a fine old-school blues player. RIP!