Vandersteen 5A: Best amplifier?

goheelz

Vandersteen 5A: Best amplifier?
« on: 31 Aug 2017, 03:14 pm »

I'm using Vandy 5A (non-Carbon) with much success, but of course one always needs/wants more, right?

Here's my plan: getting the best amplifier possible for these wonderful speakers. Right now, I'm using a McIntosh MC352 stereo amp along with the Vandy crossovers and subwoofer amplifiers.  I'm guessing lower power might be an option?  Tubes?  Audio Research?  I've been advised that AR Ref 75 stereo tube amp might be a good solution.

Please give me your amplifier advice.  Tube or Solid State?  Three categories: Best amplifier less than 5K, best up to 10K, best at sky's the limit.  Hit me with your knowledge Vandersteen 5A experts.

Thanks!
Jim

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Vandersteen 5A: Best amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2017, 04:29 pm »
  Carey 805 was the best sound I ever heard with the 5A. Consider Qualiton [ Audio Hungry] or Linear Tube Audio as well. The Qualiton amps offer integrated or forth coming mono blocks at a reasonable price. LTA designed by D. Berning has the bang for the buck.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2017, 04:31 pm »
For the limit Lamm ML2.2

charles

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2017, 05:20 pm »
I really liked my Ayre MX-Rs with my 5As and 7s. 

goheelz

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2017, 06:15 pm »
Thank you very much, @rollo and @dminches.  rollo is suggesting the high-quality but medium-to-low powered tube (e.g., SET) amplifier solution.  This would be a pretty big change, I'd wager, from the higher powered McIntosh stereo amp that I've got right now.  Going in this direction presumes that less power's going to be needed since the Vandy 5A's are bi-amped, at least that seems to be the logic. This is what had me thinking about a medium-powered Audio Research Ref series stereo amplifier as an option. Cary's changed ownership, apparently, and one hears less about them these days . . .

@dminches suggests, by stark contrast, the very high powered Ayre monoblocs.  I've heard this kind of Ayre set up with Vandy 7's in the past, and it's been excellent.  But maybe that's way more power than necessary? 

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2017, 12:33 am »
The Ayres are not over powered at all.  I think the Vandersteens need a decent amount of power.  Until Richard developed his own amps he was a big fan of the Ayres.

tvyankee

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2017, 12:46 am »
Hey.

I've heard VAC  and  AUDIO VALVE with the 5s and both sounded great. I think George from Mass ran Atmosphere amps with his and really liked the combo.  Lots of great stuff out there . Hard part is a way to try it all.

Happy Hunting

ctsooner

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2017, 01:51 am »
The thing is that they sound great with any amp that is high current (I don't worry about wattage numbers that much) and have zero feedback. That's a key  in choosing an amp for Vandersteen's.  If you want tubes, the ARC and Aesthetix's are carried by most his Richard's dealers for a reason.  I personally LOVE the Atlas mono blocks, but even they stereo amp is killer with it.  You have to understand that with those crossovers, your amp is freed up under 100hz or so.  That helps any amp push them and why Richard can go with a single ended tube deal on top and SS for the bass.

I'm using an Ayre AX5/20 integrated amp that has a built in high pass filter that is done to Richard's standards.  I own new Quatro CT's (black paint) and it not only looks awesome, but the amp drives them very good in a large room that is open to the downstairs.  I lose some sound Mostly bass), but the amp drives the heck out of them.

Another amp that I love with Vandersteen's and isn't breaking the bank is the Belles gear.  They make dynamite amps at very affordable prices.  They are legit and the mono's would be a great pairing with your 5's I once it's released (soon). I know the integrated can drive the newest 5's nicely.  You loose a bit all around compared to Ayre, but it's only an 1800 integrated, lol. 

The ARC 75 is another wonderful amp and you can't go wrong.  I was surprised at how powerful it sounded.  Never was running out of steam and we drove the heck out of it in a larger room. 

A used VX5/20 can usually be had for about 6200 or so used.  Again, a KILLER amp.  I know that like Vandersteen, Ayre makes a lot of upgrades and doesn't change the name to a mark 2 or three.  I have heard a new VXR 20 and felt it was better than the last time I heard it.  Just a bit more warmth which is always nice.  JMHO

goheelz

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2017, 02:51 pm »
Appears that "high-current" as suggested is going to be a requirement for the Vandersteen 5A, but wouldn't I already be getting high current from the MC352 presently in my system?

The issue seems to be: can SET amplifiers --- such as the Cary 85 --- provide enough oomph.

I should emphasize that my philosophy is *significant* upgrades and improvement to the system with each change.  Lateral changes don't interest me at this time. The MC352 is very good already, but what if I could do WAY better with, say, an appropriately high-current-capable SET or other tube amplifier(s)?

Such is my thought process . . .

nrenter

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2017, 03:01 pm »
You're going to get a lot of drive-by opinions with a question like this (and if I were going to throw brands out there, they'd be similar to ctsooner's list). However, if you're considering purchasing through a dealer, I'd give Johnny Rutan @ Audio Connection (http://www.audioconnect.com) a call. Even though I'm nowhere near NJ, I purchased my Quatro CTs (new) from him because he's a straight-shooter and contributes a lot of perspective / expertise to the on-line community. He'll know how to bring the best out of your speaks.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:46 pm »
  Dumb question. Does not Vandersteen make amps ??? Yes they do. Sooooooo ?

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:48 pm »
  Dumb question. Does not Vandersteen make amps ??? Yes they do. Sooooooo ?  M7HPA go for it.

charles

dminches

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2017, 06:59 pm »

They are $52k per pair.  One would be better of spending that on the model 7s than on M7-HPAs to be used with a pair of 5A.  I have/owe all these so I speak from experience.  The Model 7s are a huge step up from the 5A.

goheelz

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2017, 09:10 pm »
They are $52k per pair.  One would be better of spending that on the model 7s than on M7-HPAs to be used with a pair of 5A.  I have/owe all these so I speak from experience.  The Model 7s are a huge step up from the 5A.

I don't know anyone who's heard those new $52K amps from Richard V.  Having listened a few times to the Model 7, they do seem to be impressive.  But I've not heard the Model 5A and Model 7 in identical systems, so it's hard for me to tell how much the Model 7 is actually surpassing the 5A. The designs of Model 5A and Model 7 seem not so different in philosophy . . .

Joey54

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2017, 12:30 am »
The 2 best amps I have heard with the Vandersteen 5A's,7's and in fact any Vandersteen speaker, are the Quicksilver V-4's tube mono blocks and the Aesthetix Atlas amp. I owned the 5's then 5A's and used the Quicksilver V4's with the Aesthetix Calypso preamp for 6 years before upgrading the amp to the Atlas stereo amp. I would second talking to John Rutan at Audio Connection about this.

I have heard Richards amps on many occasions and as good as they are I like the Aesthetix better. YMMV and this is just my opinion. You should try and hear these amps with your speakers if possible as only you can tell what you like best.

geowak

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2017, 02:02 am »
How about the Line Magnetic 219ia? It's a beast but if not enough LM Audio makes a mono block pair, the 503-PA. I  have the little 216ia and it's great!
Check out donbetteraudio.com

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2017, 03:30 am »
I have heard the 5A's a few times at RMAF, a beautiful sounding speaker but the 7's are ethereal, both are above my pay grade.
The speaker/amp pairings at RMAF are hit and miss but before Vandersteen came out with with his amps his speakers were usually paired with Acoustic Research amps, that said there have been other pairings.

2011 RMAF - Vandersteen 7's with Audio Research Corp Reference 250 monoblock amplifiers. The 5a's have also been paired with the Audio Research Reference 150 at shows.

CES 2012 - Aesthetix Atlas with 5a Carbon

RMAF 2013 - Dan D’Agostino Momentum Mono-Block amplifiers with 5A Carbon

dminches

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2017, 01:47 pm »
I don't know anyone who's heard those new $52K amps from Richard V.  Having listened a few times to the Model 7, they do seem to be impressive.  But I've not heard the Model 5A and Model 7 in identical systems, so it's hard for me to tell how much the Model 7 is actually surpassing the 5A. The designs of Model 5A and Model 7 seem not so different in philosophy . . .

I am one of the lucky ones.  I purchased a pair of the M7-HPAs 3 months ago and it brought the sound of the Model 7s to a whole new level.  Much more depth in the music, greater detail and the subtleties are much more apparent.

My upgrade path was 1: 5As with Ayre MX-Rs; 2: Model 7s with MX-Rs; 3: Model 7s with M7-HPAs.

The change from the 5As to the 7s was also significant.  The transition between the tweeter and the mid-range is seamless with the 7s.  I did not feel that way with the 5As.  The overall sound of the 7s is on a different level compared to the 5As (which I fully enjoyed).

ctsooner

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2017, 01:54 am »
What I've noticed is that at this price range the differences are subtle, but so real.  Folks always want lower priced gear to sound better so they can justify etc...  I remember being at Rutan's in NJ and Richard was there.  Folks were in the 7 room, but kept going out to listen to the 5ct's in the other room and thinking they were better.  It wasn't even close.  The 7's had more information and presented it in a much more realistic manner.  What happens I feel, is that listeners are 'told' what hifi should sound like.  They are 'mislead' (to me) into thinking that the most dynamic speaker or the one playing louder is the best.  They are told that some's 'extended' tweeter is a larger stage etc..., when in fact it's false and that said tweeter is goosed a db or two. Even Fremer writes about that often. 

Ricahrds amp is fantastic in that in incorporates, top AQ speaker cable, built in Garth Powell type of power conditioner, a built in 144 DBS unit for said speaker cable and of course HRS isolation. Richard loves SET sound on top, so he incorporated that.  I have heard the Atlas Eclipse mono's  vs Richard's and personally Ricahrds won out.  It was close though as I LOVE those upgraded Atlas's.  GREAT amps IMHO.  I just feel Richard's amp is a bit more defined and has tighter bass with more layering.  They really are pretty close, but I remember a drum hit that sounded much more realistic with the Vandersteen.  That's all I wrote down.  Again, imho.  I love both those amps though.

dminches

« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2017, 01:24 pm »
What I've noticed is that at this price range the differences are subtle, but so real.

i don't think that the differences between the 5As and Model 7s is subtle.  It is pretty significant.  Certainly other changes in the signal chain can be subtle but that is not the case with these 2 models.