Mating LIO amp with sensitve speakers and low volume listening. Any impressions?

Jonathon Janusz

I never said it was either easy or cheap.  :wink:  A 10db swing is not an insignificant amount, I think, and particularly when were discussing getting the most out of the sound at the lowest listening levels, every little bit counts, no?  I've read a good amount on just this forum regarding folks doing some pretty extreme things to cut down on ambient noise leaking into their listening rooms.

Not trying to pick an argument, as practicality outweighs cost at a certain threshold, but I'd think particularly for those with truly dedicated listening environments, doing what one can to at least get to the lower end of those averages would be worth the time to figure it out.

I'm not sure what Vlad's (the OP's) situation is so no more constructive comment from me there, just making a more general observation. :)

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
I just meant to say that the average Joe whose listening room doubles as a sound room is quite restricted about that particular condition called ambient noise floor.  And yes, 10dB are a significant offset, easily measured with even a basic SPL meter software on an iPad, and very common between day time and night time (unless one lives in a big city that never quiets down). If your windows have shutters and heavy drapes, perhaps those help a tiny bit. If you can turn off a piece of machinery that contributes a low-level hum, that's an obvious fix. Beyond such basics however, I'm not sure what else could be done within reason. Hence personally, I  wouldn't add that particular variable to the long list of worries audiophiles already sweat over, simply because for the most part, it's not something one can do much if anything about  :thumb:

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
Re: 104dB!
« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2015, 11:53 am »
Just learnt that the Voxativ driver in my loaner is the AC-4D driver (not yet on their website) with a 104dB sensitivity rating.  Completely noise-free drive into such microscopes isn't for the faint of amps but LIO aces that challenge perfectly. So even Avantgarde style horns might work just fine  :green:

Geardaddy

I just had the pleasure of having a friend's LIO in-house on demo, and its very good.  With the right speakers, no need for $$$ separates IMO.  I am excited to see if there are any NOS dac options in the works in addition to Class A amplification..... :thumb: 

Vinnie R.

As promised, a quick heads up on LIO driving Voxativ's Pi. This is at least 99dB efficient. My friend bought a version with a 104dB driver. I still have to inquire what version is in my review loaners. But even the 'lowliest' Voxativ driver is 99dB. With LIO, there's absolutely *zero" noise - as in , can't tell the bloody amp is even on doing a Van Gogh (ear clapped directly atop the widebander). So yes, LIO is ideal for such applications. Sonically it's not as lucid as the FirstWatt SIT1 or SIT2 and a bit warmer - but for most, it'd be a matter of taste, not quality.  So LIO is a bona fide solution for such high-eff speakers. :icon_lol:

Hi Srajan,

Thanks for posting your findings with Voxativ Pi + LIO.  Looking forward to reading the rest of your review!
The certainly look striking together!  :inlove:

Hi Jonathon Janusz,

Thanks for your post, and we're really looking forward to sharing the room at NYAS2015 next month with Greg
from Volti (Vittoras) and Triode Pete's cabling!

I just had the pleasure of having a friend's LIO in-house on demo, and its very good.  With the right speakers, no need for $$$ separates IMO.  I am excited to see if there are any NOS dac options in the works in addition to Class A amplification..... :thumb: 

Hi Geardaddy,

Glad you were able to try a LIO in your own home - and thanks for your feedback!

NOS dac / Class-A / and beyond... we'll see in 2016!

Vinnie