Apple non-Mini system descriptions

Toka

Re: Apple non-Mini system descriptions
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2008, 05:33 pm »
My Mac Audio System Description: All brand new within the last month

Mac model and processor: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz
Operating system version: Leopard 10.5.4
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 1TB internal. External pending
Internal memory installed: 4GB

Monitor/keyboard: Wired
Wireless hardware: Mighty Mouse
Software music player(s): iTunes
Music file format: ALAC
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): Stock remote

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): NuForce Icon
Pre amplifier: N/A
External DAC: NuForce Icon
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: N/A
Speakers in this system: NuForce S-1
Interconnect types between Mac and X: USB Cable
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Side room

McPanse

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2008, 11:21 pm »

My Mac Audio System Description:

My set up is about as wireless as you can get. I use an Airport Express and an iPod Touch with the new Remote application to stream music from one of two Macs to a T-amp/external DAC combo. You can see photos of this small footprint hi-fi setup by going to www.audio-magus.com, logging into the discussion forum and clicking on my post in the System Showcase thread.

Mac model and processor: MacBook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and an eMac (main music server)
Operating system version:10.54
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):120GB, 80GB
Internal memory installed: 4GB, 750MB

Monitor/keyboard:built in
Wireless hardware:Airport Express and Time Capsule
Software music player(s):iTunes 7.7.1
Music file format: Mix of Apple Lossless and AAC
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):iPod Touch with Remote

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):Trends TA-10.1 tripath amp
Pre amplifier:N/A
External DAC:Zhaolu D2.5C
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Airport Express and Time Capsule
Speakers in this system:Boston VR-M50 bookshelf speakers
Interconnect types between Mac and X: The Airport Express is connected to the DAC with a generic Toslink cable.
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): other room

Additional comments:
Remote for iPod Touch and iPhone is a fantastic application. It allow you to command iTunes running on any computer on your network. No need to clutter up the room with a ton of equipment and stacks of CDs. Kicks the arse of any all-in-one iPod speaker dock out there (of course, that's not hard to do).

pardales

« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2008, 11:48 pm »
See my signature line for critical elements of my set-up. Powerbook G4 running current version of iTunes (all Apple Lossless) and a couple of hard-drives as well.

jaywills

« Reply #23 on: 7 Aug 2008, 03:06 pm »

Mac model and processor: Intel Imac 2.66 ghz Intel core2duo.
Operating system version: Leopard (latest iteration).
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): Internal 320gb, 2 500 gb external (system BU, Music & Time Machine).
Internal memory installed:  4gb.

Monitor/keyboard: Apple aluminum (wired).
Wireless hardware: Airport, bluetooth.
Software music player(s): iTunes & Squeezecenter (latest iterations of each).
Music file format: Apple Lossless.
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): N/A, other than remotes for Squeezebox and my preamp.

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Spectron Musician II for top end (50hz-20Khz); Homebrew Hypex UcD 400 for the bottom end (20hz-50hz).  Both solid state, both stereo amps.
Pre amplifier: TacT 2.2x (with Maui-modded PS) doing room correction and crossovers. One DAC to the Spectron, one DAC to the Hypex.
External DAC: TacT.
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Squeezebox 3.  Monster power conditioning.  Sony DVP-9000 for CD's and SACD's.
Speakers in this system: Gallo 3.1's, bi-amped.
Interconnect types between Mac and X: Mac>ethernet>Squeezebox>glass toslink>TacT>Nordost BH>Spectron; TacT>Kimber Hero's>Hypex; Amps>AntiCables or Yardmaster homebrews>Gallo's.
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): In listening room, iMac silent during music playing.

Also provide comments on these:

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? Hypex amp, Maui-modded TacT PS, Yardmaster speaker cables, Venhaus power cables, Wellborne PS for Squeezebox.
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  None, off the top of my head.  Software DSP room correction on the Mac OS might be nice.
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  The sound.
d. Other comments: Beats listening to an iPod.

DS-21

« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2008, 01:37 pm »

Mac model and processor: rev. A 17" Intel iMac, 2.0gHz white MacBook
Operating system version: 10.5.6
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 
      Internal: 160GB (iMac)/ 500GB (MacBook);
      External: about 1.5TB spread out over 3 FireWire drives for main music library and backup; 200GB 2.5" portable FireWire drive

Internal memory installed: 2.0GB (each)

Monitor/keyboard: (iMac) new USB aluminum keyboard, 24" Gateway 1900x1200 LCD spanned with stock 17" monitor; (MacBook) stock, unless it's plugged into my main system, in which case the second monitor is a Sony 46V3000 (46" 1080p LCD TV)
Wireless hardware: AirPort Express in living room
Music file format: Apple Lossless, AAC160 (iPod)
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):  just iTunes right now, would be interested in other options but never figured out the time

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):
     Primary system (living room): Denon AVR-4306 receiver (LCR+surround), Crown XTi2000 (primary subwoofer), built in 500W plate amps (filler subwoofers)
     Nearfield system (attached to iMac): [Pioneer Elite VSX-50 (LCR mains), Crown XTi2000 (subwoofer)

Pre amplifier: HeadRoom Total AirHead (portable use); M-Audio FireWire Solo (only used as mic preamp for measurement purposes); Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer EQ in main system
External DAC:  See "Amplifier...," supra.
Speakers in this system:
     Primary System: Tannoy System 12 DMT II drivers in bespoke, sealed, semi-cylindrical, ultra-low-diffraction cabinets for L/C/R, Tannoy System 800 monitor drivers in bespoke sealed trapezoidal cabinets with bespoke crossovers for surround; Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X in bespoke sealed cabinet as primary subwoofer, 2x M-Design Eleganza Bella filler subwoofers with ports plugged. Subwoofer setup per Geddes, except that all three subwoofers on on the ground. (Mains are above the room centerline.)
     Nearfield System: Tannoy System 8 NFM-II with ports plugged for L/R, Tannoy Saturn S8iw (same driver as S8NFM2) for C in bespoke sealed cabinet; JBL W15GTi in sealed cabinet/cat-scratching-post
     Headphones: Sennheiser HD-580 open air, Denon AH-D2000 sealed, Etymotic Research for Altec Lansing im716 IEM, Sennheiser PMX-100 and Koss KSC-75 with KSC-35 earclips for portable use.

Interconnect types between Mac and X: In the nearfield system, some optical cable, probably from Parts Express or Monoprice. Don't remember, could not care less about it, or for that matter any "interconnect" or "speaker cable." They're just stupid wires, and people who care about wires are probably too deaf to know what real audible improvements sound like anyway. Link to primary system is wireless via AirPort Express.
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  iMac in bedroom alcove, MacBook usually wherever I am

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  Speaker cabinetry, room treatments; unless upgrading the RAM on both or swapping out the HDD on the MacBook counts
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  the Audyssey software suite (MultEQ XT + Dynamic EQ/Dynamic Volume); Comcast-compatible HD-DVR software 
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? Having tens of thousands of songs available at a click
d. Other comments:  I love the fact that setting all of this stuff up required zero knowledge of computers.

Mr Content

« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2009, 05:14 am »
Thanks, though.  If I can figure out how to keep it from freezing up, I'll be a very happy camper... again.

I though Mac's dont freez up, what do you mean?

Mr C

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2009, 08:27 pm »
My Mac Audio System Description: http://www.audiocircle.com/systems/index.php?systemid=983

Mac model and processor:  iMac 2GHz Intel Core Duo
Operating system version:  10.4.11
Hard drive type: internal 240GB  (external USB drive for backup)
Internal memory installed: 1.5 GB

Monitor/keyboard: 20" built-in monitor; standard keyboard
Wireless hardware: Apple remote
Software music player(s): iTunes and Songbird
Music file format: AIFF

Amplifier: Audio by Van Alstine Insight 440 stereo amplifier; 220 watts per channel into 8 ohms, solid state
Pre amplifier: Audio by Van Alstine Insight+ SL preamplifier
External DACs: Audio by Van Alstine Insight+ DAC (solid state); Audio by Van Alstine Transcendence 8+ DAC (tube)
Other component in chain between Mac and speakers: Inday DA4X-R Toslink to Coax converter and switch http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm
Speakers in this system:  Salk Signature Sound Veracity HT2-TL http://www.salksound.com/speakers_veracity_ht2-tl.shtml
Interconnect types:  monoprice toslink cable between iMac and Inday; Blue Jeans Cable digital coax cable between Inday and DAC; Blue Jeans Cable interconnects
Location of the Mac:  desk in corner of listening room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  Salk Signature Sound Veracity HT2-TL speakers; room treatments
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  Digital coax output
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  convenience
d. Other comments: SQ using external DAC is pretty good

stevecuss

« Reply #27 on: 27 Aug 2009, 08:54 pm »

Mac model and processor: Macbook Pro - last gen (before June 2009 changes.) 
Operating system version: most recent leopard. 
Hard drive type: Internal, 320gig 5400 rpms. 
Internal memory installed: 4gig ram

Wireless hardware: Airport Express wireless g.  (yep, time to get a newer one.)
Software music player(s): itunes
Music file format: itunes store purchases (mp4???)  and AIFF for ripped cds. 
Other method of control: currently an apple remote.  soon to get a logitech harmony. 

Amplifiers:  Rotel RSP980 Pre/Pro set to two channel stereo with direct sub out, Rotel RB980BX 130 watt stereo power amp.

External DAC:  2008 Valab

Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:  just the aiport express. 
Speakers in this system: GR Research AV2s.
Interconnect types between Mac and X: wireless, then toslink from AE to VALAB Dac, then nice RCAs to Rotel. 
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Listening area, portable. 

b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could:  Lossless downloads from itunes store. 
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment:  convenience, shuffle. 

Other comments:  Wouldn't mind adding some tubes at some point - either a tube preamp in place of the rotel, or tube buffer between pre and pro.  Otherwise, I'm pretty happy. 

Major Roadrash

« Reply #28 on: 30 Dec 2009, 09:56 pm »

Mac model and processor: MacBook Pro (Gen. 8, 13.3 in. screen, unibody), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7.
Operating system version: Mac OS X 10.7.2 (Lion).
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 60GB OCZ Vertex SSD internal with 500GB external portable hard drive for music file storage, 500GB Time Capsule for wireless onsite backup and 500GB iomega eGo portable hard drive for offsite backup.
Internal memory installed: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

Monitor/keyboard:
Wireless hardware: Apple iPad (32 GB) with Apple Remote app.
Software music player(s): Pure Music and Audirvana Plus.
Music file format: AIFF.
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):

Amplifier, and type: Red Wine Audio Signature 70.2 monoblocks (LFP-V Edition).
Pre amplifier: Red Wine Audio Isabella with internal DAC (LFP-V Edition).
External DAC: None.
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Cardas Golden Cross inter-connects and speaker cables (bi-wired).
Speakers in this system: WLM Diva floorstanders.
Interconnect types between Mac and DAC: Locus Design Nucleus USB cable.
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Listening area.

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  Upgraded original hard drive from 500GB to 60GB OCZ Vertex solid state drive and internal memory from 4GB to 8GB.
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  Upgrade the iTunes music software to audiophile standards (i.e. Pure Music or Amarra standards).
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  All of it!
d. Other comments:
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2011, 01:25 am by Major Roadrash »

wgb113

« Reply #29 on: 5 Aug 2010, 01:32 am »

Mac model and processor: 17" iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Operating system version: 10.6.4
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): LaCie 1TB Quadra stand alone via FW400
Internal memory installed: 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Monitor/keyboard: Standard
Wireless hardware: Apple Airport Extreme 802.11n
Music file format: AIFF
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): iPod Touch Remote App

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Quad (active monitors)
Pre amplifier: Benchmark DAC1 USB
External DAC: Benchmark DAC1 USB
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:
Speakers in this system: Quad 12L Active
Interconnect types between Mac and X: Monoprice mini-Toslink to Toslink
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Home office

The simplicity of this setup pays off in spades IMO.  It's as good/better than any HiFi setup I've had so far.  Having every song in your collection at your fingertips has changed the way I listen to music. 

Cheers!
Bill

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #30 on: 5 Aug 2010, 02:29 am »

I finally have a Mac front end that is stable enuff to describe

Mac model and processor: 1st gen 20" iMac G5 1.8 GHz (no cost, but i had to buy & install replacement caps, bigger HD/RAM)
Operating system version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard).
Hard drive type, size and type : 1TB internal with 700 GB external Firewire backup
Internal memory installed: Maxed out at 2 GB

Monitor/keyboard: Apple aluminum wireless & magic mouse
Wireless hardware: Aitport Extreme (unused), Dlink USB to Bluetooth (looking to install Apple hardware inside)
Software music player(s): iTunes, Pure Vimyl
Music file format: AIFF.
Other method of control : none

Amplifier, and type: The original DynaMutt prototype (Dyna ST70 with Classic Valve front end)
Pre amplifier: Fornaco (diy CC dc coupled to CF with 6922)
External DAC: Edirol FA-66 Firewire
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: diy solid core 24g copper speaker cable.
Speakers in this system: varies a lot. Just moved the set of proto dMar-Ken7 (with Mark Audio Alpair 7) out and slid in the alphas of Frugel-Horn Mk3 (stock Fostex FE126En)
Interconnect types between Mac and DAC: Lgeneric 10' Firewire
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Next to TT.

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? rebuilt from dead
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  Going to connect the video out to the TV so that i can see what i'm controlling from the couch. Add Apple Bluetooth hardware.
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  :D
d. Other comments: It is wonderful to just set iTunes to random and float thru stuff i could never find before (7k songs & counting, and that is without getting an even larger vinyl collection sucked in)

dave
[/quote]

mikeeastman

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:41 pm »

Mac model and processor:13" Macbook Pro
Operating system version:OS X Snow Leopard
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):2.66 GHz SSD, Drobo 8 TB NAS
Internal memory installed:8GB

Monitor/keyboard:
Wireless hardware:
Software music player(s):Spatial w/Pure music
Music file format:AIFF, WAV
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):IPod touch

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):class d 254
Pre amplifier:
External DAC:Apogee Ensemble
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:Dodd Tube buffer w/6H30-DR
Speakers in this system:GR Research OB7
Interconnect types between Mac and X:Spatial firewire and 1/4" to RCAand soundsilver  RCA
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):listening room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?Spatial system EQed for room.
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?Ease of use and most detailed system I ever heard 
d. Other comments:
[/quote]
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2011, 06:45 pm by mikeeastman »

claytontstanley

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:00 pm »
Hey everyone,

I have a PPC-G5 running Leopard ( 10.5.8 ), located in a room away from my speakers. All of my audio equipment is located in a room away from my speakers actually. When sitting in my listening room, I can use my MBPro or IPad to control the G5 through a VNC connection (gives me volume control, track control, etc.). OS X comes with a VNC viewer, and this viewer works great over LAN connections. If you're using a MBPro, you can also pay for the Apple Remote Desktop software which just absolutely rocks; you can control a 1080P machine remotely over a 3G-bandwidth connection with this software, but this is probably not necessary for most home listening setups.

My favorite configuration is using the IPad while sitting on my couch to control the G5 through a VNC connection.

-Clayton

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:58 pm »
Snow Leopard comes with a usable version of Apple Remote Desktop built-in (screen sharing)

dave

platoo168

« Reply #34 on: 17 Apr 2011, 03:03 pm »
My Imac:Imac 24" running itune with Pure music software streaming 4TB of high res music file..24/96 bit digital signal via USB to Burson audio DAC and head phone amp , Deliver high end sound from Ferguson hill amp / speaker with external 10" subwoofer , or AKG 701 head phone  :wink:

mickster1972

« Reply #35 on: 9 Feb 2012, 11:21 pm »

Mac model and processor:  MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo
Operating system version: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): internal 500GB with 4GB SSD hybrid drive
Internal memory installed: 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Monitor/keyboard:
Wireless hardware: Apple Airport Extreme
Software music player(s): PureMusic
Music file format: Apple Lossless

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Class D Audio SDS-254 (250W x 2 into 4 ohm)
Pre amplifier: Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11
External DAC: Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11
Speakers in this system: DIY Modula MTM with Dayton Reference 7" mids and 1" silk tweeters
Interconnect types between Mac and X: Blue Jeans RCA Cables (Belden/Canare) and Monster Cable Standard THX Optical Cable
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): home office

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? hard drive
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)? Nothing. Pretty happy with it.
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? Using it to crank the tunes when I get home and taking it with me to law school (portability).
d. Other comments:

pongaselo

« Reply #36 on: 5 Mar 2012, 05:21 pm »

Mac model and processor:20" iMac core 2 suo 2ghz
Operating system version:osx 10.6.8
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):Internal 250 gb
Internal memory installed:4 gb

Monitor/keyboard:builtin
Wireless hardware:airport
Software music player(s):itunes
Music file format:various

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):NAD C315BEE, Solid State  integrated
Pre amplifier:none
External DAC:none
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:rotel surround preamp for optical dac only
Speakers in this system: Grapevine Audio GVA1
Interconnect types between Mac and X:none
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):listening room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?nothing
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)? usb dac of sommensurate quality with speakers and Integrated amp
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? ease of use
d. Other comments: I am considering stepping back or forward to a G5 Power Mac to add truly hi fidelity in the audio and video areas

talk2me

« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2012, 01:36 pm »
Mac model and processor: Macbook Pro 1.3
Operating system version: Snow
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):
Internal memory installed: 6GB

Monitor/keyboard:
Wireless hardware:
Software music player(s): Decibel
Music file format:FLAC,AIFF

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Burmester911 MK3
Pre amplifier: Conert Fidelity CF-080
External DAC:Wadia GNSC S7i Statement
Speakers in this system: Venture CR-8 Signature
Interconnect types between Mac and X: Patrick Cullen
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):Listening Room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? Upgraded GB memory
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? Its a Mac for heaven's sake!
d. Other comments:"Mac model and processor:
Operating system version:
Internal memory installed:

Monitor/keyboard:
Wireless hardware:
Software music player(s):
Music file format:

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):
Pre amplifier:
External DAC:
Speakers in this system:
Interconnect types between Mac and X:
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?
d. Other comments:"It is more about music enjoyment than about accurate reproduction"

makevisible

« Reply #38 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:04 am »
Mac model and processor: AppleTV v.1
Operating system version:
Internal memory installed:

Monitor/keyboard:
Wireless hardware:
Software music player(s): itunes
Music file format: lossless
Other method of control: apple remote

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Primare System
Pre amplifier: Primare system
External DAC: Dacmagic
Speakers in this system: Opera Mezza Grand
Interconnect types between Mac and X:
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): bedroom

WC

« Reply #39 on: 13 May 2012, 02:38 am »

Mac model and processor: Dell Mini 10v (hackintoshed)
Operating system version: Mac OS X 10.6.3
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 160 GB internal, music is stored on a Lacie 2 TB NAS drive
Internal memory installed: 2 GB

Monitor/keyboard: standard
Wireless hardware: Airport Extreme
Music file format: ALAC
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): iPhone and iPad

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Marantz SR-6005 AV Receiver (is the DAC/preamp/amp)
Pre amplifier: see above
External DAC: see above
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: ADS DAC which I am using as a USB to SPDIF converter
Speakers in this system: Boston Acoustics HD-9 or Advent Baby IIs
Interconnect types between Mac and X: USB and Toslink
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): in the listening area, makes no noise

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? It is not a Mac.  :wink:
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)? I like to be able stack stuff on it.
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? The receiver, the connection over wireless has issues whenever I have a power drop out.
d. Other comments: none
[/quote]