ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!

modwright

Re: ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!
« Reply #180 on: 9 May 2012, 04:42 pm »
To be honest, I am still struggling with a noise issue and it has been costing me sleep for a LONG time.

I shifted my focus to installing the DAC module (same digital core) into our LS 100 (very similar circuit as used in Sony and Oppo players) and learned A LOT about the necessary grounding to remove this noise.

I also did the same in the KWI 200 integrated and alleviated it.

I am today, working on the Sony, as it is exhibiting the same issues and I am taking a new approach.  I can't express how frustrating this whole endeavor has been.  If I make a breakthrough today, I will post here!  It is my focus today.

Thanks for asking and thank you again, those who are waiting, for your continued patience.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

modwright

« Reply #181 on: 9 May 2012, 11:10 pm »
OK, another long day of working on the unit.  I said I would post my results, so here goes:

1) The use of Lundahl line-level transformers DOES serve to remove 90+% of the HF artifacts and may be an option.
2) Without the Lundahl transformers, it appears that a harmonic of the master clock frequency works its way into the analog signal.

I shortened all signal leads as long as possible and operated the units strictly as a DAC today and no matter how I ground it - i.e. already using ideal grounding scheme as learned from LS and Integrated designs, there is still an issue with the clock signal.  The master clock is actually generated from our own digital receiver board and is superior to stock and upgraded outboard clocks.

Progress was made, but a solution not found.  The line-level transformers may be used no matter what.

I will continue to post progress.

Thanks,

Dan W.

jfz

« Reply #182 on: 10 May 2012, 12:36 pm »
Thank you, Dan.  I hope things get easier and you get more sleep !

modwright

You don't always get what you want, but sometimes.....
« Reply #183 on: 11 May 2012, 01:34 am »
....you get what you need!  I tell my sone this and he just goes:  :roll:

Well, today was a good day in development.  In case some of you are confused about why I am talking about the Sony mods, when this thread is about the Oppo, is that I got so frustrated with the HF noise issue in the Oppo, that I turned to the Sony to see if I could resolve it there first and carry the knowledge back to the Oppo.

Well, today actually bore fruit!

The HF noise is now low enough that it is swamped in the noise floor and I am satisfied with its eradication.  A combination of buffering and impedance matching of the clock signal and just the right grounding combination did the trick!

So, I am about 95%-98% pleased with the Sony.  I need to tidy up the first article and make sure that all functions work properly and I will be happy!

Now, I will take this knowledge TOMORROW and move onto the Oppo!

Thank you for your support and to all those who are reading this with interest.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Jeffy

« Reply #184 on: 11 May 2012, 02:42 pm »
Dan, if I do not want the added input will your mod make my Oppo sound better?

modwright

« Reply #185 on: 11 May 2012, 05:29 pm »
Hi, the tube mod is the key to the mod!  The purpose of the digital input is ONLY for flexibility.  It allows the use of external digital inputs, to utilize the players tube analog stage and double as a DAC as well as a player.

The Truth mod for the Oppo, without digital input, has won HUGE praise since inception and we have MANY very happy customers.  If you are considering the mod and don't need or want the digital input, then we can do that mod immediately and you will be VERY pleased!

Thanks,

Dan Wright

modwright

Dig. Input Update!
« Reply #186 on: 16 May 2012, 06:22 pm »
Hi guys, another update as promised:

The Sony XA-5400ES:  I have managed to get rid of the HF issue, but in the process, introduced some LF power supply noise, so am looking at grounding here further.

Oppo 95: Added a dedicated 5V supply, highly regulated, totally separate from the main machine and power supply.  Updated grounding to be same as that in Sony.  Still HF issues... :cry:.  The grounding in the Oppo is UGLY, especially as it pertains to this.  The four layer analog board and every other ground is connected to the chassis.  I have everything star grounded, independant of the Oppo and no matter where I connect to the Oppo, I get the HF issue.  I am not giving up, but it is still a brick wall!

Just wanted to keep everyone up to date.

Thanks!

Dan

jfz

« Reply #187 on: 24 May 2012, 03:47 pm »
Thanks for the 5/16 update, Dan.  A side question: if one wants to use the current Oppo to play hi-rez files downloaded from a computer, does he send them via a USB cable to the Oppo?  And, if so, is this sound going to be significantly worse than if he has the digital input to use?  I'm sorry if this is a very elementary question. I'm confused as heck about "computer audio".

modwright

« Reply #188 on: 24 May 2012, 07:04 pm »
For USB input, you will have to use the stock USB input on the Oppo 95.  This can only be connected via USB and a standalone drive, but not a PC.

Our digital input board will only have RCA and AES/EBU, not USB.

Thanks,

Dan

jfz

« Reply #189 on: 24 May 2012, 07:36 pm »
Thanks...can a PC be used with your digital input?

modwright

« Reply #190 on: 24 May 2012, 08:00 pm »
A PC can be used with our input, but will require a USB-RCA device.  Our digital input receiver will receive up to 24/192 data.

Thanks,

Dan

Jeffy

« Reply #191 on: 26 May 2012, 05:08 pm »
Dan, I think JFZ wants to know what will sound better on the modright tube modded Oppo; using USB or through your new input. I think USB on the Oppo also allows 24/192.

modwright

« Reply #192 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:22 am »
When finalized, I expect that through our new input will sound better, but our new input is NOT USB.  It is XLR and RCA only.

Thanks,

Dan

bakufu

« Reply #193 on: 11 Jun 2012, 05:13 pm »
i had oppo send a 95 to dan for the ss mod, and received it early last week.  after cabling for it arrived, i hooked it up and broke out a few blu-ray and super-audio disks for listening.

my understanding is that sacd is a dead format, but i was able to snap up several goodies at excellent prices:  colin davis' LSO berlioz recordings, jon leifs' Edda on BIS, and jordi savall's recording of the monteverdi 1610 vespers -- all favorite pieces.

i wasn't disappointed - these recordings sound fantastic.  more detailed, open, and rich than the rips of the cd layer.  it took a while to figure out how to set up the oppo, but once initialized to the correct settings, glorious music poured forth.

nice work dan!

modwright

« Reply #194 on: 11 Jun 2012, 05:30 pm »
Thank you, I appreciate that feedback!

Dan

dminches

« Reply #195 on: 15 Jun 2012, 09:14 pm »
I just got my MW BDP-95 with the tube mods and I am already enjoying it with a pair of RCA 6SN7 VT231s and a Mullard GZ34.  The first thing I noticed was a tighter and fuller bass and an overall more pleasing presentation of the music.

I have a question about the tube stage and power supply.  If I am watching a movie and using the 8 channel analog outputs or optical digital out can I leave the power supply off since I wouldn't be using the analog output stage?

modwright

« Reply #196 on: 15 Jun 2012, 10:28 pm »
You don't need the tube stage supply on
to watch MCHovies or use digital or HDMI
outs.

Tube supply only need be on for 2CH music.

Thanks,

Dan W.

dminches

« Reply #197 on: 15 Jun 2012, 10:31 pm »
Thanks Dan.

That's what I thought.  That should save tube life a bit.

What's your experience as far as how long it takes to break in the unit and settle into its long term sound?

MarkR7

« Reply #198 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:59 pm »
I just got my MW BDP-95 with the tube mods and I am already enjoying it with a pair of RCA 6SN7 VT231s and a Mullard GZ34.  The first thing I noticed was a tighter and fuller bass and an overall more pleasing presentation of the music.

I have a question about the tube stage and power supply.  If I am watching a movie and using the 8 channel analog outputs or optical digital out can I leave the power supply off since I wouldn't be using the analog output stage?

Nice call on the tube combination Dminches!  I've had my Modwright Oppo 95 since February, though finding time these days to just sit down an listen is near impossible.  After reading your post above, and I plugged in the same tube combination since I had all of them on hand, and started streaming Pandora.  I was going to multi-task with the music in the background, but damn, it got a hold of me and dragged me right in. I spent 4 hours just enjoying my favorite Pandora stations thru the Modwright Oppo, and I was totally immersed!!  And this was only Pandora, not any of my CDs / SACDs / hi-res files!!  Call me impressed!

It's a wonderful player Dan!  Coming from the Modwright 9000ES (which I still have), I was hoping for equivalent sound, and I think Ive got it, and then some!  Well done!

truant

« Reply #199 on: 27 Jun 2012, 10:26 pm »
I've had my OPPO BDP-95 (the $500 SS mod only) modified by Dan and can report that it is a very worthwhile investment.  I do have a question for Dan and any other BDP-95 owners:  what are some recommended power cords for this player?  I'm currently using a Granite Audio 555 which I bought some time ago on AudiogoN.  I recently came across a letter online referencing Dan's positive comments with respect to the synergy between an Audio Magic cord and the Sony 5400.  Is there perhaps a special synergy between ModWright mods and Audio Magic cables?