VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #1100 on: 16 Nov 2019, 05:08 am »
VMPS RM30 Ribbon Monitor Speakers -  (Salt Lake City, Utah)  $2500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-RM30-Ribbon-Monitor-Speakers-Sound-amazing-in-good-physical-shape-/174097467338 

"VMPS RM30 Ribbon Monitor Speakers - Sound amazing - some scratches . Condition is Used. This speakers are on perfect working condition and sound amazing. They have some outside scratches , are missing a screen on one front speakers and the bottom is loose on one speaker.  Please feel free to ask questions. This speakers have a reputation.  I will discuss shipping if serious. Sold as is."

Stimpy

« Reply #1101 on: 16 Nov 2019, 03:26 pm »
VMPS Original Subwoofer  -  (Crestwood, St. Louis, MO)  $100

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/saint-louis-vmps-original-subwoofer/7020770959.html 

"This is a 12" diameter non-powered subwoofer with a 12" active radiator in front and a 12" passive radiator in bottom. VMPS calls it their "Smaller Subwoofer" It measures 16" wide, 16" deep and 27" tall with a nice black cabinets.

VMPS has been known for making outstanding sub woofers and speakers for nearly 3 decades. The subwoofer is rated at 8 ohms and the frequency range is 28-150Hz. These will take just about all the power you can throw at it (up to 250 watts rms) and the bass is really tight.

There is some damage to the cabinet, but the speaker is in excellent condition."

Stimpy

« Reply #1102 on: 16 Nov 2019, 03:31 pm »
(Still Available)  -  VMPS Mini Tower II A Speakers  -  (Denton, TX)  $349

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ele/d/denton-vmps-mini-tower-ii-speakers/7021105832.html   

"A mint condition pair of audiophile speakers by Brian Cheney / VMPS. Praised in many audio magazines, including "Stereophile Magazine" as some of the best available, with the deepest bass response.
These have been in a smoke free, pet free, child free home. Perfect condition. You are welcome to audition them in my home with your favorite music.
Beautiful oak cabinets, with a satin semi-gloss black finish. These have two optional upgrades:
Focal inverted hard dome tweeter.
Ribbon "Super Tweeter".

848twp

« Reply #1103 on: 1 Dec 2019, 12:30 am »
Looking for a pair of smaller vmps subwoofers, fair condition.
Preferably with mega woofers, email me what u have.
From Long beach California, willing to drive to pick up
danguzman7878@gmail.com
Thanks

Stimpy

« Reply #1104 on: 18 Dec 2019, 02:17 am »
VMPS Super Tower III Special Ribbon Edition, Custom  -  (Spring City, Pennsylvania)  $2700 BIN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Super-Tower-III-Special-Ribbon-Edition-Custom-/264570296356

"VMPS Super Tower III Special Ribbon Edition Custom.

I bought these 7 years ago locally.  They started life as VMPS Super Tower III speakers.  The guy I bought them from was an electrical engineer who was a big time audiophile.  He spent a lot of time and money modifying the speakers to match the Special Edition version that VMPS sold for $20,000.

He consulted several times with Brian Cheney who owned VMPS.  Brian helped guide him through the modifications, which included:

--- Removing all the Focal midrange and tweeter drivers and sealing all of the existing driver openings.

---Adding Bohlender Graebener model RD75 75" ribbon drivers, mounting them in mirror image configuration on the inside edges of both the left and right speakers.

---Adding ribbon tweeters in the main body of the speakers.

---Retaining the ribbon super tweeters.

---Building custom external crossovers to match the changes.

The original external active crossover and external power supply are still  incorporated.

The speakers are a 9 of 10.

There are huge and weigh close to 300 lbs. each, so not easy to move and definitely local pick up only.  You will need 2 able bodied people to move them.  They are in a finished basement, so they will need to go up 2 flights of stairs, as there is no outside access to my basement.

These must be bi-amped and can be tri-amped.

The finish is oak and the cabinets and grills are in excellent condition.

If these do not sell I plan on disassembling them and parting out the drivers, crossovers, active crossovers, and power supply.

Stimpy

« Reply #1105 on: 30 Dec 2019, 01:55 am »
VMPS Active Electronic Crossover with separate power supply  -  (Spring City, PA)  $450

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649579401-vmps-active-electronic-crossover-with-separate-power-supply/

"These are from a pair of VMPS Super Tower III speakers that were modified into the Special Ribbon Edition models. I already sold the Bohllender Graebener RD75 Ribbons and custom crossovers for them and am unfortunately parting out the rest of the components as the speakers as a whole weigh about 300 lbs. each and therefore difficult to find a buyer for them due to the size and weight.

The URl is for the Super Tower III SRE speakers which included the custom VMPS Electronic Crossover.

In addition to the VMPS Active Electronic Crossover with separate power supply I have all of the drivers and including a consecutive serial number pair of Raven R-2.0 Ribbon Transducers, tweeters.

The drivers include:
(4) 15" Woven Carbon Fiber Subwoofers
(2) 12" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers
(5) 10" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers
(6) 5 1/4" Woven Carbon Fiber Midrange drivers
(7) 1" Focal Reference T120 Tweeters
(2) 2" Ribbon Tweeters

I am open to offers on some or all of these drivers. I am also willing to sell the cabinets really cheap, Like $100 for the pair as long as whoever buys them can carry them up from my finished basement which includes 2 short flights of stairs. Even without any drivers these empty cabinets will be very heavy. If no one buys then I plan to cut them up and scrap them which is a shame as they are in excellent condition and also include the grills which are also in excellent condition.

The speakers as a whole were incredible full range units that went down to a clean 17 HZ."

oldhvymec

« Reply #1106 on: 30 Dec 2019, 09:01 am »
VMPS Active Electronic Crossover with separate power supply  -  (Spring City, PA)  $450

The drivers include:
(4) 15" Woven Carbon Fiber Subwoofers
(2) 12" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers
(5) 10" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers
(6) 5 1/4" Woven Carbon Fiber Midrange drivers
(7) 1" Focal Reference T120 Tweeters
(2) 2" Ribbon Tweeters

I am open to offers on some or all of these drivers.

Hello,

I'm interested in "2" 12" (8 ohms?) WCFs, "2" 5 1/4 WCFs and a "2" of the Focal 120 (as close to matched as I can get).
If you'll PM me with what you think is fair. I may be interested in the whole lot, if we can work a deal.
It would be a shame if the cabinets, got chopped. Sure would make a serious bass enclosure, even
cut just above the 12" or 15" for that matter and lids added..BOOM, BOOM, for sure.

The 10" WCFs are single stack on the magnets? (bass couplers/8 ohm?)

Regards

Stimpy

« Reply #1107 on: 30 Dec 2019, 10:22 am »
Hello,

I'm interested in "2" 12" (8 ohms?) WCFs, "2" 5 1/4 WCFs and a "2" of the Focal 120 (as close to matched as I can get).
If you'll PM me with what you think is fair. I may be interested in the whole lot, if we can work a deal.
It would be a shame if the cabinets, got chopped. Sure would make a serious bass enclosure, even
cut just above the 12" or 15" for that matter and lids added..BOOM, BOOM, for sure.

The 10" WCFs are single stack on the magnets? (bass couplers/8 ohm?)

Regards

I'm not the owner; I'm just advertising the items for sale.  You'll have to respond directly to the seller, through the US Audio Mart link, if you're interested in purchasing the drivers.

Good luck.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #1108 on: 30 Dec 2019, 10:32 pm »
What a crime/shame this man has decided to part these speakers out. I dont know what he's thinking.....the parts can't be worth more than the whole.

oldhvymec

« Reply #1109 on: 31 Dec 2019, 07:04 pm »
What a crime/shame this man has decided to part these speakers out. I dont know what he's thinking.....the parts can't be worth more than the whole.

I'm with you, my cousin said he would be buried IN his. He loves those things, just some XO work. Still sound wonderful, Stone stock no upgrades, He sold every one of the WCF and reinstalled the older drivers. Wish I would have gotten those drivers too.
Sound really good NOT bi-amped. Just the way Brian set those up with a high XO point for the bi-amping, kinda weird to tell the truth.

The ribbons he sold, off the cabinets above, I bet they brought a pretty penny.

Cheers, and Happy New Year too all the VMPS guys that keep this site going. Thanks a whole bunch.

OldHvyMec

Stimpy

« Reply #1110 on: 4 Jan 2020, 10:14 pm »
VMPS RM40 BCSE w/ MLS rosewood cabinets. -  (Plainfield, IL)  $3400

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649580917-vmps-rm40-bcse-w-mls-rosewood-cabinets/

"Excellent condition of drivers, cabinets except for the foam around the tweeter. This pair was special made by Brian for reviewer Marty DeWulf of Bound For Sound and was his reference speaker for 4 years. I bought them directly from him and paid Brian. They have all the best upgrades except the external X-over. Sorry there are no shipping boxes so it will be local sale only unless you're into driving to pick them up. They can be auditioned that way so it would be preferable. They have the best TRT caps, silver Audio Analysis wire to the the drivers, FST tweeter, Soundcoat, book matched rosewood cabinets, MLS cabinets. The grain pattern is centered and identical on each speaker on 5 sides. These are among the 2-3 greatest sounding pair of RM40's ever made.

These speakers sound fantastic in all ways. Very clear, transparent, dynamic sound with adjustable levels on all drivers. The 40 stands for 40" of ribbon drivers. The mids and highs each have an adjustable level control and the bass can be adjusted to sound its best in any room.

Located in the SW suburbs of Chicago about 35 miles from the city. I will help load the 260 lb. speakers if needed."

oldhvymec

« Reply #1111 on: 8 Jan 2020, 03:38 pm »
I'm not the owner; I'm just advertising the items for sale.  You'll have to respond directly to the seller, through the US Audio Mart link, if you're interested in purchasing the drivers.

Good luck.

Thanks Stimpy,  I got hold of him, the cost was ok. Shipping would be a bit, weight, bulk. He sold the BG RD75s
I did find another pair of BG Pro 1.9 75" and one BG RD75, all were the same price. I guess the BG RD75 had Neos,
the Pro didn't.

Stimpy

« Reply #1112 on: 8 Jan 2020, 08:01 pm »
Thanks Stimpy,  I got hold of him, the cost was ok. Shipping would be a bit, weight, bulk. He sold the BG RD75s
I did find another pair of BG Pro 1.9 75" and one BG RD75, all were the same price. I guess the BG RD75 had Neos,
the Pro didn't.

Yea, construction between the 2 series were a bit different.  The RD75 used Neo magnets, which should make them more efficient.  But, the Pro 1.9 used a different film material, and was said to have better treble response.  A good discussion here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=117565.0

Regardless, I hope someone can make use of those SR III's.  Too good to waste.

Stimpy

« Reply #1113 on: 12 Jan 2020, 03:16 pm »
And then, there were none...

VMPS speaker cabinets, big and heavy  -  (Spring City, PA)  $100

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/spring-city-vmps-speaker-cabinets-big/7052526918.html

"These are the speaker cabinets only. All drivers have been sold so only the cabinets are included in this sale. They are oak and are very large, over 6 feet tall and weigh probably about 200 lbs.

They are in a finished basement so you will need 2 able bodies to remove them.

If no one is interested in buying these within the next week or so, I plan on tearing them apart and scrapping them.

I am open to offers.

I am in the process of selling off most of my equipment as we are retiring and moving south in the next few months.

I will be listing additional equipment in the next couple of weeks which will include manufacturers such as VPI, Krell, Marantz, Escient, Billy Bags, Bolzano Velletri, and others.

I also have a lot of vinyl, some SACD's, CD's, and some video that I either have listed or will be listing."

Stimpy

« Reply #1114 on: 18 Jan 2020, 07:03 pm »
FOR SALE: VMPS RM2's, plus DIY/repair lot; amps, speakers/subs, tuners, Oppo +cables.  (Terre Haute, IN)  $500. Gear. $400

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649578399-diyrepair-lot-amps-speakerssubs-tuners-oppo-cables/

NO VMPS PICTURES

"Clearing out some no longer needed or wanted equipment. Sold as a bulk lot only and no shipping. Below is a list of what's included and condition.

Xindak XA6900SE integrated amp with remote and original box. Amp is in excellent condition and remote works as should except mute button. Operationally, the volume control is shaft driven and the shaft slips. I had a tech repair a couple years ago and the problem has returned. Fix it yourself or turn the volume all the way up and use with source with own volume control such as the Oppo's. Otherwise works fine and sounds excellent.

Yamaha T-1 tuner in excellent condition with a scrape along top right of faceplate. All lights work but needs an alignment.

Hafler P3000 pro amp. Used as a subwoofer amp for a while. Issue with volume pots I think. Powers and works but needs attention.

Oppo DV981 HD dvd player with remote. This and a Revox B261 (not included) responded badly to a power outage and both went into a lock up mode. I took the Revox in for repair and it was a cheap fix. I didn't bother with this Oppo. Power button lights up a purple color. Beside incident a few years ago, dvp and remote worked perfectly.

MCS 3701 analog tuner: In very good condition and works fine---just don't need it.

2 Definitive Technologies TL 200 subs with boxes: I bought these and the smaller TL 100 about 5-6 yrs ago from a dealer closing them out. These are import models rated at 240v. One worked fine, the other amp died a few days after purchase. They've been in storage ever since and I sold the other pair with the step-up transformer so can't test. Cabinets are in near new condition. Driver looks fine but a covering over the surround has deteriorated---the surround itself is fine, just a covering over the screws. You could replace the crossover/amps or pull and make them passive. In almost new condition.

2 pairs of speaker stands. No idea of maker. Each are about 24" tall and one pair is quite substantial, the other decent.

You must pick these items up at my house just south of Terre Haute, IN by Ivy Tech on US HWY 41. I work nights so no morning pick up please. Sundays and Thursday are best can do any day around 2pm.

I'll also throw in an old pair of small Infinity speakers (needs new surrounds on woofers) and various interconnects and a pair of DIY power cords that came with amps I had and sold.

I also have a nice pair of VMPS RM-2 with 4 blown tweeters. The tweeters can be had on Ebay frequently for about $100 a pair ($200 to repair these speakers). If interested, I'll throw these in for an additional $500.

My price is $400 cash upon pick up. If you have a good feedback track record here or on Audiogon, you can prepay with paypal. No feedback or poor feedback, cash only please. Thanks.

Stimpy

« Reply #1115 on: 20 Jan 2020, 10:27 pm »
VMPS Tower Speakers  -  (Plymouth, MA)  BE$T OFFER  -  "FYI  -  Of This Model, That I've Listed, The Asking Price Was $800 to $900"

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/ele/d/plymouth-vmps-tower-speakers/7058550112.html

"Pair of VMPS Tower Speakers for sale. 1 owner, me. Spec sheet attached.  Performance and Power to that of a Concert Hall!

Paid $5,200 new.

BEST OFFER!"

« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2020, 11:45 pm by Stimpy »

AVB

« Reply #1116 on: 25 Jan 2020, 02:52 pm »
Asking price on the towers above is now $350. If I didn't have a set already I'd be driving to get these.

davidc1

« Reply #1117 on: 26 Jan 2020, 05:15 pm »
The listing has been removed...have they been sold?

BTW...introducing myself here. My first purchase of VMPS speakers was in about 1981. As a 20 yr old audiophile, I thought the advertisement in the back of Audio magazine was too good to be true. So, I drove to Lake Arrowhead in Southern California and listened to some VMPS speakers at a dealer's house. He was the owner of a Radio Shack up there.

Bought a kit pair of Super Towers for $1000. My roommates thought I was a nutcase. But once I got them together...Man, did we rock the neighborhood!

A year or two later I saw a pair of JVC Ribbon Supertweeters at a speaker electronics shop in Los Angeles and called Brian about them. He said, yes, they are the newly upgraded super tweeters for my model. So, I bought a pair for about $35 I think (my speakers had the original dome super tweeters)  and Brian sent me the components to change the crossovers.

A couple of years later the spider of the passive radiators failed. Brian sent new ones at no charge.

About 10 yrs later, the foam surrounds on all the 15" and 12" woofers disintegrated, and Brian sold me new rubber surround woofers and crossover components for $300.

Believe it or not, I am still running these speakers as the main speakers in my home theater system.

From about 1980 to 1995 I went to the CES every year and visited Brian's room. I always introduced myself, but he never seemed really talkative. Maybe he was wondering why a 25 yr old Southern California surfer type boy with shaggy hair would be interested in his stuff.

PMAT

« Reply #1118 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:17 am »
That was just Brian’s personality. I talked with him face to face several times and it was the same.

AVB

« Reply #1119 on: 27 Jan 2020, 03:22 pm »
The listing has been removed...have they been sold?

BTW...introducing myself here. My first purchase of VMPS speakers was in about 1981. As a 20 yr old audiophile, I thought the advertisement in the back of Audio magazine was too good to be true. So, I drove to Lake Arrowhead in Southern California and listened to some VMPS speakers at a dealer's house. He was the owner of a Radio Shack up there.

Bought a kit pair of Super Towers for $1000. My roommates thought I was a nutcase. But once I got them together...Man, did we rock the neighborhood!

A year or two later I saw a pair of JVC Ribbon Supertweeters at a speaker electronics shop in Los Angeles and called Brian about them. He said, yes, they are the newly upgraded super tweeters for my model. So, I bought a pair for about $35 I think (my speakers had the original dome super tweeters)  and Brian sent me the components to change the crossovers.

A couple of years later the spider of the passive radiators failed. Brian sent new ones at no charge.

About 10 yrs later, the foam surrounds on all the 15" and 12" woofers disintegrated, and Brian sold me new rubber surround woofers and crossover components for $300.

Believe it or not, I am still running these speakers as the main speakers in my home theater system.

From about 1980 to 1995 I went to the CES every year and visited Brian's room. I always introduced myself, but he never seemed really talkative. Maybe he was wondering why a 25 yr old Southern California surfer type boy with shaggy hair would be interested in his stuff.

I still have my first pair of Super Tower/R that I bought in 1986 - Just refoamed the passives and 15" for the second time. Probably have to do the 12's  in a year or two. Replaced those with a set of Super Tower /R SE model which are sitting in the living room.  Later got a set of FF1's  which I sold to buy the Super Tower SRE's that are in the media room. I have some others too but nothing too fancy Sorta wanted some Ribbon Dipole surrounds but just not a fan of dipoles in general so I managed to avoid spending on those. I'm not sure I'll ever buy any other speakers besides a DIY sub.