The Controller has Arrived - The Audio by Van Alstine Vision SET 120 Control Amp

TomBo

Hi all,
A new device arrived by UPS today. Hint: It's meant to pair with the Vision Q+ phono preampli(fire), is shiny, is solid state, and is like an old episode of Star Trek, where Spock's brain is extracted from his body and installed into an elaborate system to replace an antiquated brain on which an underground civilization is completely dependent, maintaining the ventilation, heat, light, and other life support functions... for the next 10,000 years...The Controller has arrived! Stay tuned for more updates.
Tom

The AVA SET 120 Control Amplifier in the company of an old friend, the original Audio by Van Alstine Fet Valve 300 ampli"FIRE!!!!!" 
« Last Edit: 27 May 2023, 02:44 am by TomBo »

TomBo

Re: The Controller has Arrived
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2023, 01:38 am »
First impressions of the Audio by Van Alstine Vision SET 120 Control Amplifier - an AVA Hifi Masterpiece
Spacious and refined.
On CD:
This is the first time listening to the newer electronics on an all solid state system. I walked over to start a CD (Eric Clapton - The Cream of Clapton) and went over to the Controller to turn up the volume - all while wondering how I could describe how much fun I am having. When all of a sudden, during the opening bars of White Room, I heard Ginger Baker play the timpanis on the other side of the room that caused me to look up and over to that part of the room.... Realizing magic was happening, I sat back down in my listening chair...and enjoyed the music...
« Last Edit: 19 May 2023, 04:06 am by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2023, 01:06 am »
Day 2: the Don Dorsey Dynamics Score on a scale of 1-10 ...

have never heard Beethoven by electronica genius Don Dorsey sound more detailed or dynamic...Warning: This CD has caused some systems to go up in smoke and flames ...
Congratulations on creating a masterpiece performance vehicle.
Thank you,
Tombo
« Last Edit: 19 May 2023, 04:10 am by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2023, 01:02 am »
Day 3 - Add the Vision Q+ phono preampli"fire" - 1st Play on the Controller. One side of a record in and I have just heard a very, very deep and subtle Keith Moon bass drum on an album I have played 30 times or more since receiving the Vision Q+ two months ago - through either the Denon or older Fet Valve gear. (I Can See For Miles - The Who Sell Out - Side A - heavier vinyl pressing)
Side B - insane 3D effects coming from a 2 channel stereo playing vinyl... Deep clear and controlled bass continues. Sweet results with the Clearaudio Concept/Goldring 1042.  Pete Townshend's acoustic guitar and voice on Sunrise is gentle and nuanced - especially near the end of the song...

Put on something newer - Finneas - Blood Harmony Deluxe - first side A, I Lost a Friend - the 3D effect continues - spacious... great deep bass - and very composed - 3D, almost holographic soundstage  - I heard some of the spaciousness with the Vision Q+ on the other amplifiers,  but not like what I am hearing with the Vision SET 120 Control Amp... Really interesting to hear all these significant changes in sound. I am hearing the musicians perform, emotion , nuances - I have been transported to a live performance. Enough writing - time to enjoy the music. Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: 19 May 2023, 04:16 am by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2023, 01:15 am »
Final post of the evening - heading out to the symphony - Happy Friday all!

;)

« Last Edit: 25 May 2023, 10:29 pm by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2023, 02:28 am »
Day 4 and 5 thoughts and summary -  I am certainly enjoying the music through the Audio by Van Alstine Vision SET 120 Control Amplifier. My expansive CD collection has been granted a new lease on life - what previously hidden musical nuances await? Detail and dynamics are on a whole different scale as well. The pairing with the Vision Q+ Phono Preamp has been a revelation. On some recordings I have heard many times, I hear new things I have not heard before, a holographic soundstage and more emotion in the performances -  the SET 120 Control Amp and Vision Q+ are the two most significant updates that have been made to this system in 5 years. What I didn't expect was how much they have also boosted the performance of my source components and speakers. For the first time in 5 years, I have reached audio nirvana.

Thank you Frank and Team!
Tom

« Last Edit: 19 May 2023, 04:36 am by TomBo »

TomBo

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2023, 02:12 am »
Has anyone else ever had the experience of turning the volume down to enjoy the performance more? This is a massive plus of the Audio by Van Alstine Vision SET 120 Controller...incredibly enjoyable at low volume...

TomBo

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2023, 02:35 am »
Just listened to (on CD) Frankie Goes to Hollywood as well as Daft Punk Random Access Memories beginning to end, and continue to turn the volume down with fantastic results... and I am talking way down...there is no YouTube equivalent... listening to Tracy Chapman now, Talkin' Bout a Revolution...

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2023, 11:00 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your impressions. I had the AVA vision q phono stage and I thought it punched far above its price.

Happy listening.

Cheers Rod

TomBo

Hey Rod thank you.
I hope you find these impressions useful. Both the SET 120 Control amp and Vision Q+ have really, individually and together bumped up my music enjoyment factor. I downsized from a large system, in a larger (14 x 30 foot) dedicated and sound treated room with thick carpet on a cement floor, acoustic ceiling tiles, Sonex treatment behind the speakers and corner walls , and some side wall treatments, and in that system, with the AVA T3 Fet Valve preamp/amp, it sounded incredible. That performance was also largely dependent on the room and acoustic treatment...when fully dialed in, you could feel the house breath on good music over the set of B&W 640's (with the AVA crossover modification...)! It invented the term "boogie factor" ...my cousin once brought over his Oracle Delphi turntable with a Grado Reference cartridge. Another friend, Wayne F, a brilliant jazz keyboardist, AVA aficionado and someone who knows how to set up a turntable spent about an hour working on the Oracle...the results were an epiphany for all of us. I still remember the look on my cousin's face when we put on his audiophile recording of Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick. On and off, I have been chasing that sound since then, in several different homes and rooms and now, in a much smaller multi purpose living/ TV etc room, it's back ...
In this smaller room I have rediscovered that magic - with three sets of 2-way stand mount speakers, a newer DAC/CD player, and 2 turntable combinations. Every combination is significantly better than anything else I have been able to achieve in the last 5 years.  This should not be a revelation to anyone who has the newer AVA gear because you already know this..however for those frustrated with a "what to buy" dilemma,  this combination absolutely delivers. The synergy with any number of speakers, turntable/carts, and DAC/CD players is amazing... enjoy the music!
Tom
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2023, 03:12 am by TomBo »

TomBo

1 final comment... I bought an American-made $2000.00 DAC that The Absolute Sound called "one of the greatest bargains in the history of high-end audio" and was underwhelmed with its performance - until I connected it to the Vision SET 120 Control amp. Now I get it.
I think it would be possible to put together a delightful vinyl or digital system built around the Vision SET 120 for $2,500.00. Or a $10,000.00 system, with no complaints.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2023, 04:31 am by TomBo »

TomBo

I will test my theory of a delighful $2,500.00 system later on with the AVA Vision SET 120 Control amp with a Marantz CD6007 CD player ($500.00) and my mint B&W DM610i speakers ($600.00)... incidentally, I have never blown a speaker (going on 5 sets of speakers over the last 25 years) using Audio by Van Alstine electronics...
« Last Edit: 19 May 2023, 05:58 pm by TomBo »

TomBo

Found another CD from the pre- Y2K collection, Class Brass on Telarc by Empire Brass, and have never heard it sound so alive before - a beautiful performance...

dB Cooper

Thanks for the tip on the Class Brass release. Just streamed a bit and will check it out further. And what is the piece of Schiit sitting under your new SET120? Is that what the AVA replaced?

TomBo

Ha! I was wondering if an astute eye would pick up on this ;) The DAC is a Yggy and my Marantz CD player is on top of it in this photo. I bought the Yggy a few years ago and until I connected it to the Controller, I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about. I am so glad I went with the SET 120 Control amp. Buyers delight and pairs really well with the Yggy.
This isn't my permanent rack. I have a dedicated component rack but its hard to test everything. I have fairly short cable runs...

dB Cooper, I have a treasure trove of Telarc CD's, many of which come with warning labels due to light, if any compression... I am looking in my collection for one called "Star Tracks" performed by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra...dynamics that will test what your system is made of. Happy listening!
« Last Edit: 23 May 2023, 08:24 pm by TomBo »

dB Cooper

Big Telarc fan here... A lot of the early digital discs didn't sound so hot, but even the early Telarc releases still (almost always) sound great
BTW Discogs dot com is a great resource for rare music
Update... https://www.discogs.com/master/363875-Erich-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Pops-Orchestra-Star-Tracks

They have a whole page of them starting at $1.00 Filtering for 'Ships from USA', they have 26 with 'Near Mint' $4.95 + $5 S/H

TomBo

Update: per Frank's suggestion from a different topic , pulled the Schiit out and placed it on top of the Marantz. Why? The Yggy was generating some heat under load, processing vast amounts of data...the wise man says heat is the enemy of solid state ...the sound has opened up again as the Schiit has cooled down. Heat management? Is that a key?

« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2023, 01:20 am by TomBo »

TomBo

I am amazed at how cool the SET 120 Control amp runs , volume is at a sublime 10 o'clock...playing the eponymous Blind Faith CD. Cool as a cucumber.

The entire system sounds great!
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2023, 10:24 pm by TomBo »