Fuses for Odyssey Audio Mono Extreme

Chazz

Fuses for Odyssey Audio Mono Extreme
« on: 10 Jun 2023, 11:11 am »
Hi All,

One of my internal fuses for my Odyssey Audio Mono Extremes with Kismet Boards blew the other day and I replaced it with a 6.3A fast blow fuse 5 x 20mm.  I was reading up some sites on Odyssey amps and they mentioned that the two fuses at the receptacle (as opposed to those on the boards) had to be the slow blow version.  I just wanted to check whether that is correct as I have fast blow for both.

Thanks in Advance
Charles

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Fuses for Odyssey Audio Mono Extreme
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2023, 04:21 pm »
Hi All,

One of my internal fuses for my Odyssey Audio Mono Extremes with Kismet Boards blew the other day and I replaced it with a 6.3A fast blow fuse 5 x 20mm.  I was reading up some sites on Odyssey amps and they mentioned that the two fuses at the receptacle (as opposed to those on the boards) had to be the slow blow version.  I just wanted to check whether that is correct as I have fast blow for both.

Thanks in Advance
Charles

Charles,

You are on the right track. Typically with most solid state amplifiers there are one or two fuses at the IEC level. Sometimes there will be one directly in series with the Line (L) and also one fuse in series with the Neutral (N). These are almost always Slow Blow. Important for you to examine within your amp, or remove the fuse and take a picture as the writing can be small. Most of the time however, there will only be one fuse and that should be in series with the Line (L). In other situations, there will be two fuses at the receptacle but only one is active (and in series with the Line). The other is a spare.

Fast Blow fuses (if they are present) are almost always on the main amp PCB or speaker outputs. They serve different purposes, such as to safeguard with failed output devices, etc…I have never seen one used near or in a receptacle in all my audio experience.

But a more important question is why did that fuse blow and which one was it? Pictures will help,  :popcorn: and I’m sure Klaus will chime in.

Best,
Anand.

qdrone

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2023, 03:50 am »
Wait for Klaus,he built the suckers. If he doesn't know then we are all in the dark.

Chazz

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2023, 01:04 pm »
Thanks Anand and qdrone.

Here is a photo of my board and I have circled the fuse on the PCB Board which blew. 

Hopefully, Klaus will respond soon as to what could have caused that fuse to blow and confirm that the fuses on the receptacle should be slow blow.

Loki57

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2023, 05:24 pm »
Klaus on a 1 month tour of the South and northwest. Much needed. He will also be at the audio show in Seattle.