Time to hit Import on 1000 CDs ,,,, need advice please

2bigears

:D hello Apple and AC"ers.  I haven't used my mini for importing the last few years.  I'm not sure if my settings are set correctly.?   Looking for a hand to ease my mind and import them correctly.  I use a big storage device , Drobo 4TB backed up. Any help thanks so much.  Also my Mac mini is pretty old.  Do I need a new one to get the latest iTunes ?  Then you can use a pay program to get even better sound ,, this I'm not sure what or how yo do.  Dam fancy dancey stuff,  ha.   :D

newzooreview

Re: Time to hit Import on 1000 CDs ,,,, need advice please
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2023, 01:33 am »
I highly recommend XLD. Unlike iTunes and most CD ripper software, XLD can be set not to use burst mode. Burst mode blows past errors, while XLD will reread if needed to be sure to get the file off of the CD bit accurately. CDs with a bit of surface damage usually come through cleanly, but too much damage might result in a slow or stalled read. Very rare, but better to know that you might want to replace that album as you process 1000 CDs.

XLD is free and well maintained. It runs on quite old Macs and also natively on Apple Silicon. It also reads and converts SACD iso images so that you can extract the high-res information from hybrid discs. You might need to rip the iso using another app, though. I haven't tried that feature.

XLD will check the free metadata services, so album titles, track names, and album art will populate automatically. Because you have the disk space, I would rip to AIFF. FLAC imposes a real-time decompression burden during playback, and I hear the difference. I also hear a difference between streaming from Qobuz and playing the same file (purchased from Qobuz) locally. AIFF, unlike WAV, also stores metadata in the file. I've read that the WAV standard is supposed to allow storing metadata, but it's never worked for me. AIFF is highly reliable in that regard.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/

Another app that will likely be useful is Metadatics. It lets you examine and edit the metadata in various media file formats, including AIFF. If you are using Roon, things will likely come out of XLD with more than enough metadata for Roon to identify items correctly. However, if you want to double-check or fix something, Metadatics is very handy.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/metadatics/id554883654?mt=12

I have not used the current version of iTunes, now called the Music app, but I don't see a need for it. The only thing it can automate, if configured correctly, is organizing imported music into folders by artist. The problem is that if the album is a compilation, it will spit every track into a separate artist folder. I would either have XLD name the folder using Artist--Album Name (if that's an option; I don't recall) or do that as I go during ripping.

I hope that helps.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2023, 02:08 am »
 :D holy moly ,  thanks sooooo much.  So the iTunes I have will be taken on by this program ? I have maybe a few hundred albums in iTunes from the past. New iTunes takes the albums apart and stacks them by artist ?  That's crazy shit,, don't want nothing to do with that.  Not sure how to get this started ,  research a bit.  But a voice guiding me would speed things from go-cart to formula 1 speed I would say,, ha .  I would love the best option. AIFF is a must in settings , I'll make sure of that. Preparation is 99% here ,  then start sliding in the CDs.   They are all in real good shape.   :D

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2023, 02:19 am »
The albums in iTunes are all in the iTunes folder in the music folder. Maybe it's "iTunes Music --> Library"? It's been a while since iTunes became the Music app, so I can't remember the folder names. Poke around, and you'll find a folder full of all the music files (.aiff or .mp3 or whatever format) that are indexed in iTunes.

These music files can be copied and moved, and played back by whatever your current setup is.

How are you planning to play the files from the 1000 CDs you will rip and store on the Drobo? Are you going to use Roon, Audirvana, or something else?

You could download XLD and play with it. Explore the settings. See how it stores the files and what configuration options are on the output. It's worth doing some experiments before diving into ripping all 1000 CDs.

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2023, 02:33 am »
So the iTunes I have will be taken on by this program?

To be clear: XLD will rip the CDs accurately to a file format like AIFF. It is a better option than the built-in ripping feature in iTunes.

You will get folders of music tracks. You could import those into iTunes, Roon, or Audirvana—whatever software you use to play the files. These apps will add the files to their database so you can search them and queue them for playback.

For example, if you want to use Roon, you could move the music files from the Music-->iTunes-->iTunes Library folder (or whatever it's called) onto the Drobo. Then you could put the newly ripped CDs on the Drobo. Let's say you put all those existing and newly ripped files into a folder called "AIFF Music". Then you tell Roon to use that folder as a source of music. Or you ask Audirvana to use that folder.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2023, 05:01 am »
 :D thank you thank you thank you.  This will take some learning as I am not the puter generation.  The music I have already is in the Drobo. Gonna take some figuring for sure.  :scratch: :D

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2023, 02:52 pm »
Use dbpoweramp. Its the best ripper.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2023, 05:50 pm »
I use JRiver to rip cd's.  Works well.

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2023, 06:56 pm »
I use Foobar 2000.  Also works quite well.

2wo

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2023, 09:40 pm »
Forgive me if I am wrong but I think the OP has the CD'S already ripped to a drive and just needs to move the files...John

artur9

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2023, 12:07 am »
I used XLD for many years and was happy with it.  Just make sure to take a look at all the settings to make sure they are set with what you want.  Then rip a test CD or two.

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2023, 12:21 am »
DBPoweramp
Have been using for years
100%
No messin around and done and have been using DB for years.

AllynW

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2023, 11:21 pm »
Thanks everyone for the comments.  Had issues with Music and iTunes today but no more.