GR Research for sale? Really?

Skiman

Re: GR Research for sale? Really?
« Reply #80 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:37 am »
I meant that offering finished speakers in addition to the kits that the present 'business model' does could increase sales. And so could offering flat packs. Skiing Ninja (Sean) and Outofthewoods (Ruben) are within an hour or so of each other here in Colorado, and both have established an excellent reputation for their work, so it seems like a natural pairing. I have met and know both personally, and they deserve, for lack of a better term, success in this potential partnership.

Captainhemo

« Reply #81 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:48 am »
I could be wrong but I think the intent  of  Sean offering  finished  speakers   would be in addition to the kits. That  would  make GR products  available  to   most everyone, not just DIY'ers
I realize there are already those who build  GR products for customers but  the average  audio enthusist may not  reazize this and  unless they do some research, probably won't know it  and may end up looking else where.
If finished speakers were also available they might be a popular alternative and bring in  new customers.... 

Let's just hope the additonal costs of offering dinished speakers can be offset by  the sales of those speakers so , wouldn't want to see  the DIY kits take a price  jump to help offset the costs .

Would be great if it all works out   :thumb:

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #82 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:50 am »
DOH !! beat me t it 
I like the flat packs idea   btw  :)

-jay

bdp24

« Reply #83 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:53 am »
For each of Danny's designs, Reuben could offer cabinets from flat-pack to fully assembled and finished, and everything in between. Sean could offer a range of options on the components at different price points, from entry-level to completely trick. Sounds great!

Folsom

« Reply #84 on: 27 Mar 2014, 06:15 am »
Someone better ask Reuben if he wants to make completed cabinets  :lol:

There's a few complications to that plan, given that GR Research is in Texas. It actually sounds less like GR Research needs to change much, and more like Sean and/or Reuben could be purchasing parts in greater numbers in order to make completed units. I'm not sure how Danny handles resale like this, however. Consider this, shipping has to be kept down. It's best to never have to send wood more than once after you've bought it. Otherwise you're utterly murdering any sort of respectable price and profit.

Otherwise you're looking at having someone else make the cabinets, to ship out of Texas. Basically what could be done is Sean and/or Reuben could retain exclusive rights to non-custom resale, of GR Research kits as complete speakers. That sounds like a plan, for those that want excellent speakers pre-made. The shipping is kept to a minimum, as in no more than ordering from a distributor, and control over customization doesn't bounce around so a price point people can appreciate is achieved, with the level of skill and care with customer service being retained in the appropriate place.

« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2014, 04:28 pm by Salis Audio »

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #85 on: 27 Mar 2014, 04:05 pm »
For each of Danny's designs, Reuben could offer cabinets from flat-pack to fully assembled and finished, and everything in between.

Actually, that is exactly what I do now, though not exclusively for Danny's designs.

I'll be speaking with Sean this afternoon, so we'll see what the idea is.

Thanks!

Ruben

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
« Reply #86 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:38 am »
Good luck Sean! I will watch this thread (or any other that involves it) to see what is going on. Hope that something can be worked out.

Danny designing, Reuben doing cabinetry (for those interested), and you handling things (with possible crossover upgrades/modifications)??????

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

We have always thought our trifecta of talents would be the best for everyone in the audio hobby.

Mrs. Ninja

bfs21

« Reply #87 on: 30 Mar 2014, 09:35 pm »
Note that crowd-funding efforts tend to work best around specific products that spark excitement.

The guys who make the DaVinci DAC made waves with a low-cost DAC/headphone amp combo.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones?ref=live

Neil Young also recently made waves with an audiophile ipod-like player.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/29/neil-youngs-ponoplayer-passes-5m-in-kickstarter-pledges/

In my experience you need a well-defined product -- people say, "I want to buy that now." So they're willing to donate to either support that product or, more likely, get it once it's completed.

But it's tricky for speakers. The Geek Out and Neil Young player are an easier sell as gadgets. Most of the speaker-related products on these sites are gimmicky or not audiophile (e.g. bluetooth alarm clocks). Speakers are hard because people just see them and have to take your word that they sound good. It's harder to make the product immediate and compelling.

So the question is: how can you get the glitz factor going? Some ideas:

-- An upgradeable "hackable" line of speakers, appealing to DIY nerds (the same people who like to hack their android phones). Perhaps a crossover design that enables people to swap in different caps and hear the difference.

-- a beautifully designed, super-high-value all-in-one package, including a T-amp and DAC integrated into the cabinets of the LGKs or the XLS series. Make them look awesome in terms of veneer / presentation, which will help.

-- Danny can legitimately lay claim to offering some of the best values ever offered in speakers. Perhaps one could enable crowdfunders to get the "greatest deal of all time" by funding his next high-end product. Crowdfunders get it cheap, and then Carnegie or Serenity subsequently sell at a much higher price.

Just tossing out ideas. The main point is that you have to pop on these sites. If you do, though, you can create a lot of excitement. 

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #88 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:03 pm »
A quick note: The new Skiing Ninja website is up.  Take it for a spin www.skiingninja.com

nickd

« Reply #89 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:20 pm »
Looks nice Sean.  :thumb:

Good to have you back in the game. :D

emac

« Reply #90 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm »
Good to have you back, Sean.  And hopefully, you Reuben, and Danny to work something out.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #91 on: 2 Apr 2014, 04:26 pm »
Some good thoughts here - thank you!

Ninja

Note that crowd-funding efforts tend to work best around specific products that spark excitement.
<snip>

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #92 on: 8 Apr 2014, 01:53 pm »
Spoke with Danny yesterday - man our indiegogo campaign is going to be killer!  Not sure if I should reveal what perks were are working on but lots of custom stuff being spoken about!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #93 on: 8 Apr 2014, 03:39 pm »
Make sure you run it long enough that those of us who are going to have to give all our cash to the IRS have two or three months to rebuild the bank account so we. Can participate at the level we would like to.

Mike

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #94 on: 8 Apr 2014, 04:38 pm »
Excellent point!

Make sure you run it long enough that those of us who are going to have to give all our cash to the IRS have two or three months to rebuild the bank account so we. Can participate at the level we would like to.

Mike

Mrs. Ninja

• Industry Participant
« Reply #95 on: 9 Apr 2014, 08:04 pm »
Aside from great deals on parts at GR, there will be a several loudspeakers you will only be able to get through this Indiegogo campaign. We are so excited to have the audio community come together to help Danny, allow us to purchase his inventory an run GR while he will be able to design more and move the industry forward. With us taking over the website, social media, day-to-day operations, inventory control and ect... we will still be working closely with Danny in product development and in our community efforts.

We hope you will join us in helping Danny and getting the campaign out to as many in the community as possible.

Mrs. Ninja and The Ninja

Captainhemo

« Reply #96 on: 9 Apr 2014, 09:28 pm »
Hmmm,  so for those of us who'd like to invest but can't for one reason or another,  we won't be able to buy certain kits ?   How much of an investment are we talking about to be able to  have access , has that been determined yet ?   Is there  any time frame  for this yet ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "complaining" ( you guys and Danny have every right to do this as you see fit),  it's just more of a concern.  As someone who has  come to really appreciate Danny's  designs and low cost kits that give us access to  high end audio, I look forward to building more in the futre,  I'm sure you can see what I'm wondering about .
There are a lot of GR Research customers out there who are always anxious for new designs but  may not be able to invest  to get them,
 I'm sure there are going to be others  "worried" as well

-jay

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #97 on: 9 Apr 2014, 11:33 pm »
>>
Hmmm,  so for those of us who'd like to invest but can't for one reason or another,  we won't be able to buy certain kits ?
<<

Don't worry about that - we are just trying to debut some cool stuff - and we are trying to have it at a special price as a thanks.  Stuff should be available after the campaign.

>>
How much of an investment are we talking about to be able to  have access , has that been determined yet ?
<<

We are still running the numbers but there will be 'perk' levels from $5 on up.  The stuff Mrs. Ninja was talking about is still in planning.

>>
Is there  any time frame  for this yet ?
<<

Not yet - but we are getting close.

>>
There are a lot of GR Research customers out there who are always anxious for new designs but  may not be able to invest  to get them,
 I'm sure there are going to be others  "worried" as well
<<

Nothing to worry about there.  What Danny thinks up will be around for you :)

Ninja

Captainhemo

« Reply #98 on: 10 Apr 2014, 01:28 am »
Cool,  good to know  Sean  , thank you for the reply :thumb:

I didn't realize the  campaingn "contributions"  could start so low,  I was thinking  minimums would be signifigantly more... looking forward to  hearing   the details as you guys work it out

-jay

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #99 on: 10 Apr 2014, 11:42 am »
Mrs. Ninja:  "We hope you will join us in helping Danny and getting the campaign out to as many in the community as possible."
I'm in and ready to invest! (the IRS didn't get all my money :-) )