Donations for PPE for NYC hospitals

audioengr

Donations for PPE for NYC hospitals
« on: 31 Mar 2020, 05:05 pm »
I want to help with the PPE situation.  I was trying to buy some respirators for NYC hospitals on ebay and discovered that ebay is removing all listings that try to sell N-95 respirators, even legitimate ones.  I guess they are tired of the scams and don't want any more losses.  Too bad.

But, before they shut down a couple of legitimate ebay accounts, I was able to make some email contacts so I can order these outside of ebay.  They are of course more expensive than the non-Covid-19 pricing, but still not that bad, around $4-5/mask.  These are desperate times after all.  I have ordered a case or more of these and the first box shipped today.  I hope to get 200-300 masks.  This is all out of pocket for me.  I have also bought some Tyvek PPE suits on ebay.  These listings are not blocked by ebay, but finding a medium is really difficult.  As soon as I recieve these, they are going to the hospitals in most need, namely Elmhurst in Queens and Brookdale in The Bronx.

If any one wants to contribute, we would appreciate any amount.  I need to send the PPE express to NYC, across the country, so it's expensive.  PayPal send money to: nugent@empiricalaudio.com.  You should be able to use family and friends for this.

I will post photos of the PPE when I get it and before I ship to NYC hospitals.  I will ship it express directly to the ones in the most need.

Thanks and stay healthy and at home,

Steve N.

Rusty Jefferson

Re: Donations for PPE for NYC hospitals
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2020, 06:43 pm »
I appreciate the sentiment of what you're trying to do, however no middleman who is hoarding cases of N95 masks should be rewarded for ONLY marking up 400% what they normally sell for in that quantity. They should be shamed on social media until they pass them on at their cost of original purchase to local officials. imho, of course.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2020, 09:07 pm »
I appreciate the sentiment of what you're trying to do, however no middleman who is hoarding cases of N95 masks should be rewarded for ONLY marking up 400% what they normally sell for in that quantity. They should be shamed on social media until they pass them on at their cost of original purchase to local officials. imho, of course.

There were sellers wanting $300-500 for a box of 20 masks.  The guys I'm buying from are asking $80, so not so bad.  The original retail was $20-30.  If it means saving just one life, it's worth it IMO.  It's the only option we have given the crappy US for-profit healthcare system.  We can thank our economic system for that.  If Trump had taken-over 3M shipments and Dupont shipments instead of being a selfish, idiot coward, we would be a lot better off now.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2020, 09:22 pm »

Some states attorney generals are prosecuting for this kind of gouging, including NY state.  If I find out who it is and a name and address, I will send an email to those attorney generals.  They will prosecute once this pandemic is over with.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2020, 09:55 pm »
Again, I appreciate your sentiments in the matter. N95s in quantity sell for about .89 cents each.  Again, I believe anyone sitting on cases of these things right now, not to mention to turn a huge profit, should be publicly humiliated and scorned.

The guy in Tennessee who hoarded thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer eventually gave them all to local authorities after a good public shaming. 

This isn't the time to get rich.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2020, 10:04 pm »
And just to be clear, he doesn't need to donate them. But he should contact authorities and sell everything he has for cost, or cost plus 5% to cover the handling. That's it. If you can track down who it is, use the energy to make it known publicly that he's hoarding masks.

audioengr

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2020, 08:42 pm by audioengr »

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2020, 04:49 am »
Many of my respirators have been shipped to me today.  Should be here on Saturday.

I am getting a lot more than I expected.  I asked the supplier to send me all he had.

As a result, I could really use some more donations, even $20 helps. This will save lives, particularly healthcare workers lives.  These are our soldiers in this war.

Send PayPal $$ to nugent@empiricalaudio.com

Don't send these soldiers to war without bullets. :o

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2020, 06:16 am »
Steve,

I just donated some via Paypal. I'd have given more, but I already gave somewhere else for the same cause.

Thank you for your effort!

Michael

kmmd

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2020, 06:39 am »
Thank you very much Steve for securing the much needed masks and sending them to those in need.  Please accept my contribution.

Take good care and stay safe.

Ken

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2020, 03:52 pm »
Here is some good advice to follow to protect yourself:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/202...sheets/coronavirus-proof-your-home/index.html

Thanks to all that donated in the last 24 hours. Much appreciated.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2020, 06:59 pm »
I"m glad you can find access to some, and thank you for taking the initiative to make it happen.  I've been scrambling to get some n95's for my RN daughter in the DFW area.  She's been working Covid-19 for the past two weeks, and her numbers are really starting to climb. They estimate Dallas Ft/Worth is about 14-20 days behind NYC, and they aren't expecting to re-supply in time.

I saw that Robert Kraft of the NE Patriots just brought back 1.2 million mask yesterday, with another large number coming in a few days.  He sent the team jet to China to pick them up, and landed in Boston.  So if a single rich guy can do this, why have we failed so miserably at a federal level to provide for our health care workers? As a citizen I'm outraged, as a dad I want to punch someone.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2020, 08:14 pm »

audioengr

« Reply #13 on: 2 Apr 2020, 09:30 pm »
I"m glad you can find access to some, and thank you for taking the initiative to make it happen.  I've been scrambling to get some n95's for my RN daughter in the DFW area.  She's been working Covid-19 for the past two weeks, and her numbers are really starting to climb. They estimate Dallas Ft/Worth is about 14-20 days behind NYC, and they aren't expecting to re-supply in time.

I saw that Robert Kraft of the NE Patriots just brought back 1.2 million mask yesterday, with another large number coming in a few days.  He sent the team jet to China to pick them up, and landed in Boston.  So if a single rich guy can do this, why have we failed so miserably at a federal level to provide for our health care workers? As a citizen I'm outraged, as a dad I want to punch someone.

Simple answer:  We have a for-profit medical system and an ineffective federal government.

This pandemic has shown us all the fallacy in having a for-profit medical care system and the downside of electing an incompetent administration.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2020, 09:33 pm »
Now they're getting somewhere.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1175111

Wow, a government agency actually doing it's job.  I love it.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2020, 09:54 pm »
I'm glad you feel that way.  The people you're dealing with are criminals, plain and simple. Give all the information you have about about the seller to that task force and let them seize his stash. The "couple cases" they say they have could be the tip of the iceberg.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2020, 01:07 am »
Fortunately NYC are plenty of millionaires certainly the hospitals will full of supplies.

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 3 Apr 2020, 01:50 am »
Fortunately NYC are plenty of millionaires certainly the hospitals will full of supplies.

Have you been watching the news at all?  Almost all NYC hospitals are short on PPE.

There are a LOT of regular people living in Brooklyn and Queens, not wealthy.  Millions.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 3 Apr 2020, 01:54 am »
Too bad the big guys dont want donate.

Marbles

« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2020, 02:04 pm »
Thanks for doing this Steve.
Last Thursday I asked my daughter who is a NICU nurse in NC if she wanted the box of 20 N95 masks I have had for years....bought for a Mers or Sars scare, and she replied she was good and didn't need them.
Friday I see a box on the kitchen table with candy I had never seen before, boxes of mac and cheese, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, moisturizer etc...
I asked my wife what was up and she said that R*****n made some Fakebook postings and she seemed scared, so she was putting together a care package for her.  R*****n was a roommate of my daughter and now a Nurse in the ED at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC. 
I texted my daughter to see if she thought she would like the masks and my daughter assured me she would.

She received the package on Monday and was VERY appreciative of the masks and also mentioned the skin moisturizer.