HELP!! I fried a ribbon supertweeter

Rtsandman

HELP!! I fried a ribbon supertweeter
« on: 14 Jul 2020, 10:49 pm »
I have a pair of Tower II SE’s and I fried the supertweeter in one on accident. Can I still buy replacements?

RSorak

• Facilitator
Re: HELP!! I fried a ribbon supertweeter
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2020, 10:57 pm »
The single tweeter in the middle of the Focal 120's? If so I replaced mine years ago w other tweeters and have the originals somewhere. Finding them would be the problem.

Rtsandman

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2020, 11:35 pm »

Rtsandman

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2020, 11:47 pm »
My bad I meant Tower II SE’s! Big difference!

GeorgeAb

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2020, 07:00 am »
Per this thread on original and replacement drivers https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113729.0 it lists the JVC HSW1101-01A Ribbon Tweeter with 75% certainty.  If you removed the four screws to look at the back of the tweeter for a part number would likely be the best way to determine, and if it is this part number you could then update thread with 100% confidence.   

These JVC HSW1101-01A Ribbon Tweeter currently listed on eBay look like the tweeters pictured in your speakers.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-RIBBON-SUPER-TWEETERS-HSW1101-01A-/164061891945  A tad pricey, at that price, I would consider another 8 ohm similar SPL tweeter.   

I have shredded the ribbon in the FST's (Aurum Cantus GS2i) and just replaced the ribbons. I have seen youtube videos on making replacement ribbons out of foil.  The point being you may be able to repair yourself if it is a shredded ribbon.

Rtsandman

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2020, 12:48 am »
I really appreciate the lead. I don’t think it is shredded I think it is burnt. I had just gotten my Marantz 4300 back from repair and was hooking everything up. For some reason my Dolby isn’t working so I turned the volume slightly past halfway with no music coming through. I heard a weird noise and then saw a flash of fire in the tweeter. Now I can see a tiny burn mark and there is zero sound coming out.

Stimpy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2020, 06:34 pm »

It looks like that tweeter fires through apertures.  Kind'a like an Infinity Emit.  If so, it might be a Foster tweeter.  Brian used several types and brands of tweeters, across speakers.  It seems he liked to experiment.  There's a pair of Foster tweeters on eBay.  Maybe they'll work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Foster-ribbon-tweeters-pair-model-E100-T10/154005447302?hash=item23db70a286:g:JxAAAOSwoV9fAkRs

ZAKski288

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2020, 03:14 am »
Rtsandman take a closer picture of your speakers.  Ken

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2020, 06:08 am by ZAKski288 »

soarertoy

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2020, 07:15 am »
Looks similar in size to the Aurum Cantus 2, maybe their ribbons from Parts Express will fit.  If you order, ask them to put the ribbons loose in a small box without packing material - they crushed two sets in succession for me!

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2020, 03:03 pm »

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2020, 03:15 pm »
There are probably numbers on the back of the tweeter

GeorgeAb

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2020, 09:05 pm »
Deleted post pointing to tweeter listing on eBay.  Did not read text that tweeter was blown. 
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2020, 11:00 pm by GeorgeAb »

walkern

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2020, 02:19 am »
Based purely on the appearance from your photo, your tweeter looks a lot like a hivi isodynamic unit.  Parts Express sells them.  Here is a link.
https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-rt2h-a-planar-isodynamic-tweeter--297-407

davidc1

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2020, 03:12 am »
Per this thread on original and replacement drivers https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113729.0 it lists the JVC HSW1101-01A Ribbon Tweeter with 75% certainty.  If you removed the four screws to look at the back of the tweeter for a part number would likely be the best way to determine, and if it is this part number you could then update thread with 100% confidence.   

These JVC HSW1101-01A Ribbon Tweeter currently listed on eBay look like the tweeters pictured in your speakers.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-RIBBON-SUPER-TWEETERS-HSW1101-01A-/164061891945  A tad pricey, at that price, I would consider another 8 ohm similar SPL tweeter.   

I have shredded the ribbon in the FST's (Aurum Cantus GS2i) and just replaced the ribbons. I have seen youtube videos on making replacement ribbons out of foil.  The point being you may be able to repair yourself if it is a shredded ribbon.

At "tad" pricey!!! At $400 for the pair!!! Mine were $17 each when I upgraded my Super Towers from the Motorola piezo to these. It was back in the mid 1980's but still....$400?

vanmgman

Hey there Audio Circle Crowd, I only just joined I'm not much of a Social Media(ish) platform type ..

However I have a Pair of VMPS Super Tower II(somthing), that my father purchased sometime in ~ 1978 (ish )

I have lovingly cared for and kept these gems, I did fully refoam all the Large Drivers about 15 years ago, and also rewired better Crossovers etc ..

Anyone Seen this Model Before, I find alot of pictures of SIMILAR ones , but not this Exact one ..

The reason I open the topic, is they are indeed the Driver JVC HSW1101-01a which I show also a picture.  Note that the Inductor for the Crossover is actually glued to the back of the Ribbon Driver which I suspect would play in the Magnetic Field and be part of the overall response / dispersion etc ...

I recently also Came into possession of some JVC Zero 4 Speakers, which are in fantastic shape, professionally re-foamed , really a nice set.

I find that the Zero 4's come with a JVC driver Marked as HSW1199-01FCS (Also See Pics) .. The Zero 4 Ribbon appears to be of a Higher Quality, much more engineered constructions with a built in backing chamber.

I am toying with swapping these drivers around, any advice or staunch "Don't Mess It" votes ?  I will of course in the meantime see if I can find the specifications and any other detail online.  A Dispersion and/or Decay graph would of course be of utmost to decide if they are completely different beasts then I will just leave the VMPS tonality the way that Brian intended..  The HSW1199

-01FCS also has a much more Magnetically Linear Driver setup then the HSW1101-01a

Other than the above advice then, anyone know which model these are ?

GeorgeAb

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2022, 08:09 pm »
@vanmgman. Welcome to Audio Circle and the VMPS section. Your post is buried within this thread and you may consider re-posting as a stand alone thread so it gets the attention it deserves. It is a good post, asking valid questions and there are members familiar with experience with that model that should be able to lend assistance. 

davidc1

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2022, 12:15 am »
Your model is the Super Tower. I purchased an identical set and built it from a kit in about 1980. They went for $1,000 ea. MSRP when fully assembled from the factory. The JVC ribbon tweeter was an add-on and not the original tweeter The original was a Motorola piezoelectric, like iwhat s probably still installed on the top of the speaker. The upgrade was to the JVC ribbon tweeter. I didn't realize there was more than one JVC ribbon tweeter. You definitely do not need to go with the same tweeter as , there are many, many good ribbon tweeters on the market for less than you could probably find these for on eBay. The one thing I'm a bit concerned about though, is your comment on "rewiring with better crossovers" . Not really sure what that means... But you really can't do anything better than Brian did. You might be able to use higher quality crossover parts if if your dad did not upgrade to the Wonder caps at the time ,but there really isn't any way that you could have improved upon anything regarding the crossover design itself, sopes, crossover frequencies etc. What exactly did you do with the crossovers?

davidc1

« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2022, 02:48 am »
Crap. I just burned out mine. Mine for sure were the silver JVCs. Unobtainable.....what do I replace with now? (I actually saw them both sparking at the same time while cranking Der Kommissar)