Sony AVD S50 ES

Zero

Sony AVD S50 ES
« on: 9 Mar 2005, 04:03 am »
Vinnie,

This is one of the units that started the chip amplifier buzz a little over a year ago on these forums.  This Sony unit is an all in one box, featuring all the goodies of HT, with quality two channel playback with a decent transport that supports a great SACD section.  This unit has recieved constant play for well over a year doing duty on my parents Polk LSI system.  They purchased a new receiver due to remote control problems with the Sony... and I hooked it up to my main system for the first time in well over a year -  and WOW!!  I recall it being good, but not to this level.

I've gone through the JVC, currently own the TEAC, been through the little $15 battery powered wonder, Griffin Power Wave...  and I must say this unit holds something very special.  I can tell there is still a lot of potential being held back.

I guess what Im trying to say is -   is there any chance you would take this unit under your skillfull scope and see what can be done?  

Im sure chasis damping would help, along with tightening around the fan as it makes fairly loud noise while running *but can be remedied by pressure being applied around the fan*.  Beyond that, I have no idea.  I just know that this unit has massive potential that has yet to be fully realized.  

Your plate is full so I certainly do not expect an answer anytime soon.  Just the same, I would love to see what is possible.

Thanks

Sean

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Sony AVD S50 ES
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2005, 01:51 am »
Hi Sean,

Sorry for my delayed response, I certainly have been busy   :P

If there is enough interest in the Sony machine that you mentioned, I'd like to get my hands on one.  Even if you are the only one who would like to have it modified, I'd be happy to work with you on it.  BTW, does Sony still sell this unit?

Quote from: A6M-ZERO

Im sure chasis damping would help, along with tightening around the fan as it makes fairly loud noise while running *but can be remedied by pressure being applied around the fan*. Beyond that, I have no idea. I just know that this unit has massive potential that has yet to be fully realized.

I'll be it does have massive potential!  The chassis dampening and fan tightening can easily be done, but to make BIG improvements, I need to get into the circuitry  :hyper:   It is very easy to find out where corners have been cut, but most importantly, I need to listen to it.

Zero

Sony AVD S50 ES
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2005, 11:04 pm »
Vinnie,

Tell you what -  I can let you take a look at my unit as it is currently not seeing much use at the moment.  Feel free to do as you wish or take as long as you want.  All you have to do is PM me with an address if interested.

This unit is out of production, replaced by the AVD S-500.

F-100

Sony AVD S50 ES
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2005, 12:56 am »
Hi Vinnie,
  I also have this unit in my HT system, driving the Onix Rockets speakers . Currently, I'm happy with its performance but I'll be interested to see if you can turn this Cinderella into a Princess.  :)