Solid State Integrated Recommendations?

AvsFan

Re: Solid State Integrated Recommendations?
« Reply #40 on: 8 Jul 2020, 04:59 am »
Reupping my thread on solid state options to ask about anyone's experience with the Belles Aria... I've heard only good things about this amp but am just concerned that 75wpc may be too much for my tiny listening room and 94db SAMs.... I know people generally scoff at "too much power" but honestly, I'd be listening to this amp's first 0.5 watts...

Too many close minded people that swear by tube and low powered amps for Omega speakers to sound good. It's simply not true. I am for sure not trying to offend anyone that loves their SET amps and tube amps with their Omega's. I am sure that the system synergy between the SET amp and Omega's is a match made in heaven. I am not arguing that fact nor saying it isn't, but do not discredit nor say that is the only thing that will make Omega's sing. I have experienced it first hand. Had a SET 45 amp, and although it had some hum and buzz problems, I could still hear the potential of the Omega and SET combo and was VERY impressed. However I did send it back because it was defective and it was volume knob impedance issues or something to that effect. I then said what the heck, hooked up my Class D, DAC Golden Cherry Mononblocks that are putting out a hefty 270 watts per channel at 6ohms and holy guacamole! The Omega's jumped to life. So.............. You can't just sit there and say, hey, only a 2 watt per channel tube amp works best with the Omega's. It's not always the case. Synergy and amp design play a major factor. Like you said, out of that 270 watts, I was probably using 2 watts if even that. Comes down to the specific amp and how good it is, not if it's Class A, SS, SET, tube, 2 watts or 100 watts. If the amp is a good design it will match well with any speaker. I think that is the case with the DAC GC's. So people, there are plenty of options out there for amplifying the Omega's. Try out different things and see what you like. This hobby is so subjective.     

charmerci

« Reply #41 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:03 am »
If the OP hasn't decided yet, the AVA SET 120 runs at class A for the first few watts and isn't too pricey.
https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-120-power-amplifier

AvsFan

« Reply #42 on: 8 Jul 2020, 02:29 pm »
If the OP hasn't decided yet, the AVA SET 120 runs at class A for the first few watts and isn't too pricey.
https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-120-power-amplifier

Someone just sold one of these on AC for $650!!!! I wanted it but at the time didn't have the funds. I've always wanted to hear an AVA for myself. Would be a great amp for the Omega's.
The Schiit Aegir is another great option. First 10 watts is some sort of Class A. I've read and heard nothing but good things about that amp. Schiit has really stepped up their game lately.

AvsFan

AvsFan

« Reply #44 on: 8 Jul 2020, 03:07 pm »
But I think we are getting off track, the OP wants integrated amp suggestions. Sorry.  :wink:

AvsFan

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jul 2020, 03:13 pm »
+2

I have two friends with the Omega/STM combo and they love it.

I have the Golden Cherry monoblocks, and it mat be way overkill at 270watts per channel into a 6ohm load, but man, when I had the Omega Super 3 HO's hooked up to those, the sound was sublime! So I am not surprised that the STM/Omega combo is a winner.  Tommy cooks up some amazing stuff over there at DAC!

charmerci

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jul 2020, 07:30 pm »
But I think we are getting off track, the OP wants integrated amp suggestions. Sorry.  ;)

Oops, but nevertheless AVA sells the same amp as an integrated too.

AvsFan

« Reply #47 on: 8 Jul 2020, 07:32 pm »

Oops, but nevertheless AVA sells the same amp as an integrated too.

Well there ya go! Perfect.  :D

justforfun

« Reply #48 on: 9 Jul 2020, 10:47 am »
I've had tube and class A gear over the years. Had Louis make me a set of custom Sams earlier this year and I'm driving them with a NOS Macintosh MHA100 and it sounds fantastic. 50 watts/ch AB never sounded so good and runs so cool to the touch you can barely tell it's on. I'm really loving this combo.

Here's a link to my speakers:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7RE-f7JiW6/

macdane

« Reply #49 on: 29 Jul 2020, 07:03 am »
Reupping my thread on solid state options to ask about anyone's experience with the Belles Aria... I've heard only good things about this amp but am just concerned that 75wpc may be too much for my tiny listening room and 94db SAMs.... I know people generally scoff at "too much power" but honestly, I'd be listening to this amp's first 0.5 watts...

Yep. I recently picked up a Belles Aria to use with my Audience 1+1v3s ... a terrific match. It also sounded wonderful with my Omega Super 3S from the first note. While vastly more powerful than my Wright 2A3 amps, I don't think it gives anything up to them sonically. If you have a chance to grab one at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm also in a super small room listening very near-field.

Dane

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #50 on: 29 Jul 2020, 01:44 pm »
I’m running an upgraded Odyssey Cyclops Integrated and absolutely love it (not using Omega speakers so I can’t speak to that combination).  While they won’t break the bank when new they can be found used occasionally for under a grand (non-upgraded models likely less).  Limited on inputs so if that’s an issue look elsewhere, but class A for the first few watts (7-8 watts I believe?) and plenty of power when the volume gets cranked up. 

Major Dolphin

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jul 2020, 02:23 pm »
what about the Schiit Ragnarok 2? $1,500 new or $1,300 B-stock (silver) Stereophile Class B

https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-1

zmaggio

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jul 2020, 06:58 pm »
Yep. I recently picked up a Belles Aria to use with my Audience 1+1v3s ... a terrific match. It also sounded wonderful with my Omega Super 3S from the first note. While vastly more powerful than my Wright 2A3 amps, I don't think it gives anything up to them sonically. If you have a chance to grab one at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm also in a super small room listening very near-field.

Thanks for that helpful feedback, Dane.  I definitely intend to give the Belles a try.  I've been keeping my eye out for them, it seems like the pop up on the 'Gon and US Audio Mart at least once or twice a month.  I'll probably pull the trigger on one soon.

Just in case anyone else is interested, I borrowed a Vincent SV-200 to try with my SAM XRS; this is a hybrid model rated at 25wpc into 8 ohms.  It was an absolutely terrible match with my Omegas, totally flat and lifeless.  I was glad to see it go.

Next I'll be trying an Audio Analogue Puccini Settanta Rev 2.0 integrated; Audio Analogue doesn't really get much love stateside, so I'll be curious to see how this integrated holds up. 

macdane

« Reply #53 on: 30 Jul 2020, 07:17 pm »
Thanks for that helpful feedback, Dane.  I definitely intend to give the Belles a try.  I've been keeping my eye out for them, it seems like the pop up on the 'Gon and US Audio Mart at least once or twice a month.  I'll probably pull the trigger on one soon.

Hey, not sure where you’re located or what your time frame is, but I’m in Michigan and you’re more than welcome to drop by for a listen once we get past these crazy times.

roscoe65

« Reply #54 on: 30 Jul 2020, 07:21 pm »

Just in case anyone else is interested, I borrowed a Vincent SV-200 to try with my SAM XRS; this is a hybrid model rated at 25wpc into 8 ohms.  It was an absolutely terrible match with my Omegas, totally flat and lifeless.  I was glad to see it go.

I found my RWA Signature 16 (Class A/B) to be dull and slow with my SAM, Super 3 Monitors, and Super 3HO Monitors.  The new owner is delighted with amp driving his Devore Nines.

I hesitate to recommend a SS integrated for Omega speakers.  One exception would be a Pass integrated amp.  A word of caution though:  some users have found that even modestly priced SE tube amps will smoke SS amps with this speaker.

AvsFan

« Reply #55 on: 30 Jul 2020, 10:01 pm »
I found my RWA Signature 16 (Class A/B) to be dull and slow with my SAM, Super 3 Monitors, and Super 3HO Monitors.  The new owner is delighted with amp driving his Devore Nines.

I hesitate to recommend a SS integrated for Omega speakers.  One exception would be a Pass integrated amp.  A word of caution though:  some users have found that even modestly priced SE tube amps will smoke SS amps with this speaker.

Yeah, I am having no luck with SS and my Omega's. Way too thin sounding. That's great advice. I may just try something like the Musical Paradise MK3 just to see how it sounds with the Omega's. At $339, not a lot to lose.

roscoe65

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jul 2020, 11:04 pm »
If you have a preamp, my #1 recommendation would be to find a secondhand Dennis Had Firebottle amp.  SEP or Triode wired SET giving 3-12 wpc depending on output tubes.  You can use anything from a 6V6 too KT88.

macdane

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jul 2020, 11:12 pm »
Ok, you guys got me second guessing myself so I just brought the Omegas and the Belles Aria together again. Super simple system (MacBook Pro, Meridian Explorer2, Aria, Omegas) in a tiny room and I have no complaints other than the deficiency at the very bottom. These things sound like they were made for each other. On a bang-for-the-buck basis, they embarrass the much more expensive Audience speakers in the same setup.

Those of you who are struggling with Omegas and SS gear, are your rooms treated at all?

Dane

roscoe65

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jul 2020, 11:26 pm »
Single drivers tend to produce better bass with amps having lower damping factor.  SE amps work particularly well in this regard.  In my case they seem to function more as a unit than Class A/B.  With my Super 3 HO Monitors (dual driver), the lower impedance in the midbass drew more power from my amp and made it sound bloated.

Your Super 3S speakers are well broken in by now so that helps the bass as does the large enclosure.  You are listening in a “tiny” room.  It seems like you have a well-matched system.

I know that AVSFan has similar dual driver speakers as I do.  His are newish and likely still need some breaking in.  I can say that I have been able to get satisfying midbass from the speakers using an SE 421A amp.

justforfun

« Reply #59 on: 31 Jul 2020, 11:39 am »
I've been very intrigued by the Belles Aria, I came very close to going in that direction. But I checked off Mcintosh on my audio bucket list and I'm really enjoying my little MHA100. I've never heard of anyone else using Mcintosh with Omegas but I'm pleasantly surprised.