Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?

Saturn94

Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?
« on: 21 Jul 2019, 04:04 am »
I’d like to try Maggies in my room/system.  The main issue I have is the limited space I can give behind them (3ft MAX, puts them 7ft to the main listening position).  There’s no local dealer, so the only option for an in home audition, without buying then potentially having to sell (don’t want to go there), is the LRS.  I’m told they should give me a good idea if Maggies will work in my room.  If it turns out 3ft works well in my room, then I’d consider taking advantage of Magnepan’s upgrade program for the 1.7i.

So, now I have to decide which fabric and trim to get.  :scratch:  Fabric choices are black, gray or off-white, and trim choices are dark cherry, natural oak, or black painted oak.  I pretty much decided on dark cherry trim (matches my sub), but which fabric?

Anyone have pics of the different fabrics on th LRS?  If I keep them past the trade in period (1yr), then decide to sell, is there a color that sells better?

Suggestions?

Thanks.  :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2019, 12:07 pm »
3 feet from the front wall is plenty of room.  Play around with positioning, even 1/2" can make a huge difference.

I am partial to the black fabric.  My 1.6's are black with the cherry wood trim.  White would be fine if you have a white themed room.

guest61169

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2019, 12:57 pm »
I would go for the off-white (personal preference) if you like wood frames, provided you have the discipline to wear some gloves (latex?) when you re-position them, to avoid marking them up with dirty hands.   Not sure what kind of sub you have or whether it will be suitable for Maggies.  If not, you could consider other frame materials like oak, etc.  If you are tight for room, the 1.7s may not be something to aspire to.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2019, 12:58 pm »
To me yes fabric color could be a determining factor in buying used or new. IMHO you can't go wrong with cherry trim and black fabric. The other fabrics are may have greater appeal but to a smaller group of potential buyers.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2019, 01:23 pm »
I own Magnepan 20.7s, new last year. Before that 3.6 Maggies.
Mine are natural oak with the off white fabric. Both the 3.6 and 20.7
My dealer told me (when I asked him to sell my 3.6 on consignment, that the most popular and easiest to sell is the white fabric, any trim)

The most dramatic look is the Cherry trim with the dark grey fabric. Stunning.

But the dark color makes them look heavier, and more imposing. I chose white because I want them to look light. And plus then they look way way less like the monoliths in 2001 Space Odyssey.
To me the black just sticks out screaming look at me look at me.. And since there is nothing to actually look at.. they just fail to be attractive.. in black.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2019, 02:54 pm »
Forgot to post a room pic for reference....

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2019, 03:15 pm »
3 feet from the front wall is plenty of room.  Play around with positioning, even 1/2" can make a huge difference.

I am partial to the black fabric.  My 1.6's are black with the cherry wood trim.  White would be fine if you have a white themed room.

Thanks.   :D

I would go for the off-white (personal preference) if you like wood frames, provided you have the discipline to wear some gloves (latex?) when you re-position them, to avoid marking them up with dirty hands.   Not sure what kind of sub you have or whether it will be suitable for Maggies.  If not, you could consider other frame materials like oak, etc.  If you are tight for room, the 1.7s may not be something to aspire to.

I didn’t think about the off white getting dirty....good point!  I wonder if white would be too bland?

Sub is a Power Sound Audio Triax (sealed design) in cordovian cherry (beautiful!).

I have heard the .7 and liked it, so that may be an option.  However, it doesn’t qualify for the LRS upgrade program (must be 1.7i or higher), so I would have to sell the LRS myself.

To me yes fabric color could be a determining factor in buying used or new. IMHO you can't go wrong with cherry trim and black fabric. The other fabrics are may have greater appeal but to a smaller group of potential buyers.

I was thinking the same.  :)

I own Magnepan 20.7s, new last year. Before that 3.6 Maggies.
Mine are natural oak with the off white fabric. Both the 3.6 and 20.7
My dealer told me (when I asked him to sell my 3.6 on consignment, that the most popular and easiest to sell is the white fabric, any trim)

The most dramatic look is the Cherry trim with the dark grey fabric. Stunning.

But the dark color makes them look heavier, and more imposing. I chose white because I want them to look light. And plus then they look way way less like the monoliths in 2001 Space Odyssey.
To me the black just sticks out screaming look at me look at me.. And since there is nothing to actually look at.. they just fail to be attractive.. in black.

I can see how black, especially with the larger models, could look like monoliths looming over you unless in a big room.  I don’t think the LRS would have this effect so much though being a smaller panel?

I would love to see a good pic of the LRS in grey/cherry.

I realize color choice is such a personal preference.  Still, I appreciate everyone’s input.  Some points have been brought up I didn’t think about.  :thumb:

Pics would be great if anyone doesn’t mind posting them.  :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2019, 03:25 pm »
Just thought of something.....

Years ago when the 1.7 first came out I heard a pair at a dealer.  They were black with aluminum (silver) trim.

One thing I didn’t care for much was the visibility of the driver through the fabric.  Do some fabric colors obscure the visibility of the driver better than others?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2019, 03:31 pm »
I agree with Elizabeth, off white with natural oak trim is definitely the most domestic friendly.  And I agree with her that grey with cherry trim is the most dramatic, and may go best with your decor.  I hate the black with a passion, that would be a deal breaker on any Maggie I might consider, they look like a mistake was made.  The only exception would be for a home theater set up, but Maggie's are rarely chosen for strictly home theater application.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2019, 04:27 pm »
I agree with Elizabeth also. The dark gray fabric is best with any wood choice. Gray is more neutral and visually much less "harsh" than having big black panels in a living environment. Gray fabrick is also durable (easy to keep clean) in comparison to the lighter fabric options. Keep them in great shape and you should have zero problems with resale.

Elizabeth

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2019, 04:28 pm »
I only know about the white and cleaning it.. Big problem cleaning the white.. The fabric has a sort of sheen to it. get water on it?? ruins the sheen. So trying to spot clean? no way.
One plus is the fabric cover can be replaced relatively easily.
I can bet the black and grey are worse for showing spots any cleaning attempts would be made. After owning 3.6 for eight years.. best to just leave whatever is wrong, dirt, whatever. alone! (if you cannot just brush it off, child's  soft toothbrush GENTLY!)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2019, 04:35 pm »
3 feet from the front wall is plenty of room.

Plenty? :o  Having owned Maggies I'd say this is the absolute bare minimum. Try moving them 6' off the front wall, you'll be amazed at the difference this makes. The more room you give them to breath, the more they open up and blossom. I had mine 10' off the front wall, and after a while I tried moving them back 4', no sale! They went back to 10' and stayed there until I sold them. Any speaker will sound better pulled further away from the walls, but with Maggies it is absolutely essential, assuming you want to hear what the speakers are truly capable of. I also suggest treating the front wall so as to diffuse the back wave.

Saturn94

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2019, 04:51 pm »
Plenty? :o  Having owned Maggies I'd say this is the absolute bare minimum. Try moving them 6' off the front wall, you'll be amazed at the difference this makes. The more room you give them to breath, the more they open up and blossom. I had mine 10' off the front wall, and after a while I tried moving them back 4', no sale! They went back to 10' and stayed there until I sold them. Any speaker will sound better pulled further away from the walls, but with Maggies it is absolutely essential, assuming you want to hear what the speakers are truly capable of. I also suggest treating the front wall so as to diffuse the back wave.

This is exactly the reason I need an in home audition before committing $$$$.  I’ve never had dipoles in this room/system, so I don’t know how well they will do given my placement restrictions.  I’m hoping the LRS will largely answer this question.

audiojem

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2019, 05:11 pm »
Gray & Cherry LRS For me whenever they arrive.

Elizabeth

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2019, 05:22 pm »
I am sorry the gazillion mile distance required rule is nonsense.  :thumb:
I had 3.6 Maggies from 2010 to 2018, I found a great location, so good I kept notes of exact distances. (I added bass edge 'wings' that oddly made my 3.6 same width as the 20.7) When I got my 20.7s in 2018, I started at that location, and moved them a little here a little there.. The change was very slight. (mainly based on locking in the image with female vocals)
My back wall is 11' 8" wide. The 20.7 are angled in a lot. closest measurement to side wall 18" Tweeter 'in' The outer edge is 58.5" from rear wall(but only 18" from side)  The inner edge is 42" from rear.
(this places the tweeter slightly further away as recommended.
Great sound. perfect location.
I have to say I am just whining due to the 'gospel like' guru-ish claims about the distance required. Like the Magnepan Police will come into your home like some SWAT TEAM and take away your speakers?  :popcorn:

On the other hand if you have a gigantic room.. well yeah that distance might work out....

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2019, 05:50 pm »
...Like the Magnepan Police will come into your home like some SWAT TEAM and take away your speakers? ...

What an image!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Saturn94

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2019, 05:56 pm »
Looking at what pics I could find online, I really wish Magnepan still used wider trim on the smaller models like they use to.  Having more trim visible from the front frames them nicely.

I’m beginning to think that trim choice isn’t as important since it’s so thin now.  Can you even see the trim from the front?

Elizabeth

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2019, 06:12 pm »
The wide (actual hardwood) trim on the 3.7i and 20.7 probably adds several HUNDRED DOLLARS to the price. From what I remember asking for Cherry on the 3.7i and 20.7 cost an additional few hundred over the oak.
Just to mention...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2019, 06:14 pm »
There’s no distance rule and are no Magnepan Police, :duh:  ...but some people are fussy while others are easier to please. I’m just saying - based on my experience, preference and standards. This is why it is always best to listen and experiment for ones self. There’s no right or wrong answer, but everyone I know who has the luxury of being able to pull them further out into the room definitely prefers it that way.

Kurtamus

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jul 2019, 08:15 pm »
Hi Elizabeth,

Can you please elaborate a bit on the "bass edge wings" a bit?  This sounds very intriguing.

Thanks, Kurt

I am sorry the gazillion mile distance required rule is nonsense.  :thumb:
I had 3.6 Maggies from 2010 to 2018, I found a great location, so good I kept notes of exact distances. (I added bass edge 'wings' that oddly made my 3.6 same width as the 20.7) When I got my 20.7s in 2018, I started at that location, and moved them a little here a little there.. The change was very slight. (mainly based on locking in the image with female vocals)
My back wall is 11' 8" wide. The 20.7 are angled in a lot. closest measurement to side wall 18" Tweeter 'in' The outer edge is 58.5" from rear wall(but only 18" from side)  The inner edge is 42" from rear.
(this places the tweeter slightly further away as recommended.
Great sound. perfect location.
I have to say I am just whining due to the 'gospel like' guru-ish claims about the distance required. Like the Magnepan Police will come into your home like some SWAT TEAM and take away your speakers?  :popcorn:

On the other hand if you have a gigantic room.. well yeah that distance might work out....