HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

*Scotty*

This is slick Rich, woodsyi has enough subs so that you can place at least two at the rear of the room by the bed and cancel out the bass wave from the front before it even hits the rear wall and causes a problem with bass standing waves.
I am hoping he will host a BBQ this year after you have optimized his system.
Scotty

HAL

*Scotty*,
It will be interesting to hear what happens with woodsyi's setup on Friday.

HAL

I run a bastardized version of the V2's, but I actually have the V1 tweeters with the milled-out rear cup so they are open front and rear, like the rest of the speaker.  I'm not sure if my settings transfer over to the standard V2's, though....

Tyson,
Do you have driver level measurements for your moded V2's?  If so, that would be a good starting point.

*Scotty*

If standing waves are currently a problem, when you cancel out the wave from the front before it the rear wall and hopefully reduce their magnitude, there should be a corresponding improvement in the three dimensionality/ immersive surround quality of the recreated acoustic space. It should be dramatic, if the rear subs are turned off, the sound stage should collapse towards the front of the room.
 Also the RT60 numbers should look a lot better below the frequency point where the rear woofers delayed opposite phase output affects the room settling time in the schroeder frequency region. Theoretically one could possibly remove or relocate some of the room treatments dedicated to affecting the bass frequency range.
Scotty

HAL

Got the Monolith 8" full range with 3x8" servo woofers with the Rythmik HX300 amps running yesterday with the dspMusik 6x8 as the digital crossover.

Used lots of techniques to flatten the response.

The OB next to them are the prototypes of the powered desktop speaker using the BG NEO3/NEO10 combination.   Both sound very good, but very different.   Once I have the 3x8" servo H-Frames from Ruben built, will get those setup as well.

HAL

Have Room EQ Wizard running on an MS-3 working with the dspMusik and a Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated mic for room measurements from the listening position.  The dspMusik is running as both the crossover and measurement output.

After the measurements REW can generate data for Parametric EQ on the bass driver channels. 

Phil A

Rich - have not got to play with mine yet (all hooked up and I made a power cord for it the other day and hopefull will turn it on tomorrow and get to it over the weekend) but is this the mic? - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-umm-6-usb-measurement-microphone--390-808

It says it's on sale for $75.90

HAL

Phil,
Yes, that is the one I am using.

Once you have it, go to www.DaytonAudio.com to download the calibration file with the serial number.   After you plug it in and it loads the USB driver, start REW.  REW will ask for the mic calibration file once it sees the UMM-6 is installed.   

The instructions to run REW are online to view.

Phil A

Rich - thanks - I'll see where I get up to in the next couple of days.  I have my one third octave RTA.  I also have looked at this in the past - http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product%20Brief%20-%20Umik.pdf   but never got around to try it.  I've also thought about something that works with an iPad or iPhone (don't cringe Rich) but I have the Studio Six App and have played with it with a test disc I burnt and of course the mic for making phone calls is definitely not of the quality of something for acoustical measurements.

HAL

The UMIK-1 is similar to the Dayton UMM-6.  Both about the same price.

I picked the UMM-6 since REW is setup to work with it directly.  Probably others will work as well.

This has a 1/4" mic capsule in a narrow tube compared to the UMIK-1.  Has similarities in design to the Earthworks M30 series measurement mics. 

HAL

The pack-up for going to woodsyi's this evening is complete.

Just downloaded the HDTT 24bit/192KHz Falla HiRez files to a USB flash drive to have for checkout.

Finished building up an MS-2 with Windows 10 to run the dspMusik for demo's.  This setup is heading to GR-Research for Danny to checkout.  Have a few different block diagrams for him to try with various ideas.

Would be fun to hear how the dspMusik DAC section sounds with the LS-X speakers at his place running from both a PC and MAC. 

HAL

On the way now to woodsyi's for the last part of dspMusik setup.

HAL

I am at woodsyi's place on the MS-3 getting ready to make room measurements with his system.

HAL

Just got home from woodsyi's.  Good to see him and Scottdazzel today for a MS-3 and dspMusik setup session. 

Replaced the original demo unit with one of the latest batch of units.

Listened to the setup before removing the original dspMusik and great sound quality from the digital side with HiRez PCM and DSD files. 

Replaced the dspMusik and added the rear sub channels with single ended connections.  This had all 8 output channels running, two for VMPS RM40 mid-tweeter channels, two for RM40 woofer channels, two for VMPS sub front channels and two for the rear channel subs.  Rear channel subs are at the sides of the seating area in his setup.

We listened to the full sub setup and then made a REW measurement.  Noticed that the area around the 80Hz crossover point had two nulls and high loss to the UMM-6 mic location.  Turned off the subs and filled in one of the nulls, but still one remained at 80Hz.   Since the rear sub channels are closer than the front subs to the seating area, need to work on time delay for the rears to integrate correctly.  Until then the subs are off for a future measurement session with a longer USB cable from the MS-3 to the UMM-6 mic. 

woodsyi is putting some hours on the new unit to see if there is any change in sound quality.  The original unit had many weeks of time on, where this one was new from the packing.   I am going to compare my demo unit here to a new unit to see if there are any sound quality differences. 

Next, will be installing a dspMusik with the VMPS RM50's with the MS-1 installed next and then a system goes to Pez and Tyson, once I have another MS-3 built. 

Scottdazzle

Here's a shot of Rich and Rim fishing cables for the MS-3 and dspMusik session.

Rich

HAL

Scott,
Great picture!

At Avoosl's place now.  Just installed the dspMusik in his setup with his MS-1 for the VMPS RM50's.  Figured out that the latest version of the firmware uses the wrong DAC filter and know how to fix woodsyi's setup.   Will talk to him soon.

The VMPS RM50's with the dspMusik sound excellent running the filters that Bryan recommended for the DCX2496.  This just sounds a lot better.

System #3 is sounding excellent as well.

Phil A

My MS-3 is up and running in the secondary system.  Next up is to get the App for my cheapo tablet (I bought it anyway for the Oppo Media App) - http://www.samsclub.com/sams/7-85-android-tablet-ips-intel-1-2ghz/prod15270051.ip

HAL

Phil,
Glad you are up and running!   :D

HAL

Have dspMusik block diagrams ready for Pez's and Tyson's speakers on USB flash drives in the pack-up.  Waiting on a few more cables to arrive.

Waiting on the MS-3 chassis to arrive to build up the machines.  Looks like Thursday is the arrival day.

Planning on shipping Friday or Saturday depending on MS-3 build and Microsoft update speed. 

Another order for a dspMusik is pending.  Hope to hear something next week.   

Phil A

Got the Gizmo App up and running on my cheapo Android Tablet.  Only used it a few minutes but so far I do like JRemote on the iPad mini I have in the main system better but it's hard to argue with free and it allows you to choose music in the same manner as JRemote.  Below is a shot of my Tablet and leaning against the monitor.  It is a small bedroom system but sounds quite good and it's nice to have an easy to use product like the MS-3 running established software for music files vs. something proprietary where one sees posts all over the web about daily difficulties with the software.  Thanks, Rich