RAGE releases tomorrow anybody else getting it ??

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
RAGE releases tomorrow anybody else getting it ??
« on: 4 Oct 2011, 01:58 am »
This year. this month has some great new games coming out and RAGE is being released tomorrow, I have a copy coming anybody else??

highfilter

Re: RAGE releases tomorrow anybody else getting it ??
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2011, 02:02 am »
This year. this month has some great new games coming out and RAGE is being released tomorrow, I have a copy coming anybody else??

I have it pre-ordered and pre-downloaded on Steam (for PC). Waiting for it to activate in 2 hours.  :D

I love id Software and have been waiting for this for a long time!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2011, 02:17 am »
Nice!!!! Mine is coming UPS Next Day and our guy is always like 4 -5 PM so I'll be chomping at he bit...do me a favor, send me a PM and tell me first impressions OK? :thumb:

highfilter

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2011, 02:19 am »
Nice!!!! Mine is coming UPS Next Day and our guy is always like 4 -5 PM so I'll be chomping at he bit...do me a favor, send me a PM and tell me first impressions OK? :thumb:

Haha, will do!

highfilter

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2011, 07:28 am »
Well initial impressions are not good, at least on the technical side.

The PC version has tons of issues for a lot of people, but a few people are running it with minor issues. See all the issues here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=955

There's severe texture pop-in and visual glitches / flickering. Hoping new drivers or a quick game patch will be out within the next few days.

I played for an hour and it seems like a fun game - but it feels extremely dumbed down for the console audience, compared with previous id Software PC titles. There's minimal options, the menus feel like they are for a console and you can't change any of the visual settings as "the game auto-detects the best settings for your computer so you don't have to". Mouse settings in menus feels really odd, not really responsive.

Visual art and atmosphere feel good, can't wait until the technical issues are resolved so I can experience the game and not the technical flaws. It's a throwback to the classic first person shooter, like most id Software games are. I'll update back in the next few days...

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2011, 09:39 pm »
I wanted to continue loving id's games, but after the annoying but nice-looking Doom whatsits on Xbox I lost interest (and my lunch thanks to motion sickness).  RAGE looks awesome, and I will probably buy it, but I suspect that after the graphics high there will be gameplay hangover.  I could be wrong.  On the brightside it couldn't be any worse than Duke Nukem Forever of course.  (unplayably bad, I abandoned the game after 1st Boss fight.  I don't blame Gearbox for Duke, it's not their fault it sucks.) My future FPS interest is reserved solely for Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite. *muwhahaha*

highfilter

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm »
I wanted to continue loving id's games, but after the annoying but nice-looking Doom whatsits on Xbox I lost interest (and my lunch thanks to motion sickness).  RAGE looks awesome, and I will probably buy it, but I suspect that after the graphics high there will be gameplay hangover.  I could be wrong.  On the brightside it couldn't be any worse than Duke Nukem Forever of course.  (unplayably bad, I abandoned the game after 1st Boss fight.  I don't blame Gearbox for Duke, it's not their fault it sucks.) My future FPS interest is reserved solely for Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite. *muwhahaha*

This video review offers a decent look into the gameplay: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-rage/721726

Looks like it has more variety and depth than Doom and of course, Duke Nukem. Hoping to go through it once these initial glitches are fixed for the PC version.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm »
Finally delivered at 7:15PM- latest the UPS guy has ever been....game is loading. I got a bunch of codes for extra stuff so I did those first now the 6 GB install of game data on my PS3.....as its loading there are background scenes from the game behind the download meter graphic and as the download gets more and more complete the background graphics become clearer and with more detail...so as it goes it brings you further into the games graphics-which look pretty damn cool at 38% in....pretty good idea to do that I think....it might be the highlight of the game...LOL :thumb:

Kinger

« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2011, 11:44 pm »
Games developed for consoles and brought to PC's seem to be becoming more the norm.  Shame considering the PC's ability to increase the detail shown in many of these games.  Personally, I much prefer FPS games on the PC for the control I get with a mouse/keyboard.  Not to mention the fact that generally the graphics are much better if you are using a higher end graphics card.  Consoles are certainly a much cheaper investment however.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2011, 12:30 am »
This is probably the best looking game I've seen.......very cool environment or lack of.

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2011, 09:04 pm »
I was totally with you on that for a time myself, Kinger.  I thought it would be 'impossible' to aim properly with a controller instead of a mouse\keyboard.  It just took me some time to get used to.  The thing I like about consoles is that they Just Work and also don't cost what a tricked out gaming PC would cost you.  But the hacking\modding\cheating stuff is harder, no command line doohickey.  I actually had to go and buy an extra controller for my original Xbox just so I could put Stranger's Wrath in "god mode".  *sigh*  Man, it's been so long since I've visited the Windows world, it would be a trip to go back and play a PC game now.

highfilter

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2011, 09:46 pm »
I agree. There was a time when PC games had the upper hand and the console versions where the real "ports". Now developers are trying to please everyone and it seems like the console versions are VERY close to the PC counterparts, and even better sometimes since they just work right off the bat and the hardware is consistent across consoles.

The only "real" PC games are coming from PC-only games from developers like Blizzard (Diablo III, StarCraft II, World of Warcraft etc).

I have been enjoying gaming on my PS3 so much more than PC these days, especially with more titles on the consoles and consistent results. That's not a bad thing, just a change from the golden years when Doom and Quake first came out.

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2011, 10:23 pm »
I also am sort of amazed at how much life they are getting out of consoles.  What I remember from years back is a time of constant struggle and improvement.  Every new game had more intense graphics and would barely run on your system so you had to be always looking for new hardware and new patches etc.  But with the console this seems to have leveled off and a wide variety of games look great and run fine on a single platform.  It's kind of weird to think that RAGE will actually run on my Xbox 360.  'You mean I don't have to buy a new $4000 PC to get an id Software title to run good?  Madness!" Ha!  It's not to say that the console NEVER has any laggy framerates, sometimes they do, but it's not a general rule.  It's even locked up a few times, but that was even rarer.  Are we sure Microsoft has made something that doesn't crash?  Hmmm…

Kinger

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:29 am »
When it comes to bang for the buck, there is no doubt the current crop of consoles are absolutely fantastic.  What made me purchase my XBox 360 was exactly what you guys describe.  For one, I wanted something that just worked.  Second, my PC was getting long in the tooth and to upgrade it to play some better games was going to cost me significantly more than an XBox.  Third, after seeing titles like Forza and Bioshock on the XBox I was convinced that there was enough video horsepower there to keep me plenty satisfied for quite some time.  Then one day a year or two later, I happened to go over to a friend's house and had the opportunity to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 among other titles on his year old PC.  Was absolutely blown away by the graphics of the games in comparison to the XBox and the flexibility and ease in finding multiplayer games on line.  Six months later, my previous PC which had served me well for 5 years or so finally gave up the ghost and I purchased a new machine.  Yes, it was probably 3 times as expensive as an XBox, but for gaming I absolutely love it and my XBox has gone untouched other than the occasional game of Madden when friends drop by.  I've shown games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 to other friends that have the XBox and all of them agree without hesitation that it looks and flows much much better on the PC. (Not to mention the fact that the PC has an additional huge map not available on the consoles and the number of on-line players per map is larger......)

In the end, it probably sounds like I'm bagging consoles and I absolutely am not.  I'd still be playing my XBox today if it wasn't for the fact that my other machine died and I could afford a new rig.  I'm not a tweaker or a programmer so occasionally I do have moments in games that frustrate me, but for the most part it's been a pretty hassle free experience.  Like nathanm, I'm shocked that the current group of consoles have been out for as long as they have and still seem to be going strong.

nathanm

« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:20 pm »
What kind of displays were the two systems compared with?  I know a PC will support the higher resolutions that computer monitors offer, but consoles connect more easily to TVs which can seem more impressive because of size if not necessarily resolution.  I play on a 21" CRT now, but hooking my Xbox up to a 50" plasma once was pretty awesome.

cujobob

« Reply #15 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:56 pm »
Luckily, the last batch of consoles was built better than current gen computers were at the time. Computers will be better so long as they stay a few generations ahead of consoles, but really...they're only better in some pretty minor ways at the moment. I'm glad consoles have become the main source because it puts all gamers on the same machines, I used to do some MMORPG stuff and let me tell you..machine capability was a large factor. I've gotten to the point that I no longer want to invest in building a computer out because I'm spending twice as much as on a console without the portability. Rather just buy a Mac Mini and be done with it, to be honest.

I'll check out the gamespot review on this game...my determining factor for every purchase  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 6 Oct 2011, 06:07 pm »
What kind of displays were the two systems compared with?  I know a PC will support the higher resolutions that computer monitors offer, but consoles connect more easily to TVs which can seem more impressive because of size if not necessarily resolution.  I play on a 21" CRT now, but hooking my Xbox up to a 50" plasma once was pretty awesome.

If you think a 50" plasma is awesome, you need to play on something much bigger...like my 110" screen.  Xbox on that with full 7.1 sound (using 3 subwoofers) makes for an experience I can't come close to replicating with my pc.

George

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 6 Oct 2011, 06:40 pm »
George where are you located???

nathanm

« Reply #18 on: 6 Oct 2011, 06:42 pm »
Dang!  Sounds cool, George.  I haven't had the luxury of hearing any subwoofer in games in awhile.  :cry:  I'd love to hear game sounds with my Gallos.  I've got the awesome 5.1 speakers but a shitty TV, but my mom has the nice 50" plasma but shitty speakers.  (well, I've since installed a less shitty 5.1 system from Costco for her, but it's not my cup of tea.  Tiny plastic satellites the size of a soda can.)  A stereo pair of Norh 3.0s is what I've got now (or headphones) and I must say that the audio they've got going on with these games is really good, you can totally tell where guys are coming from just by sound cues alone.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 6 Oct 2011, 07:08 pm »
George where are you located???

A little southwest of Boston.

George