Deepomega 8 & 12 - do you set crossover or does it run 'full range'?

Ultralight

For those of you who run deepomega 8 & 12s with your RS5 or Alinico Omegas, is there a crossover setting (low pass & high pass) or do you just run both the subs and speakers full range? 

Curious how you guys run it.

And would you run so deepomega 8 or one deepomega 12 if you had to choose?

Thanks!
UL

mrvco

I asked a similar question here recently.  My understanding is that the deepOmega sub is designed to be run up to ~150 Hz in conjunction with Omega speakers.  The 12 doesn't appear to play any lower, just output more db than the 8.  I was wondering whether two 8's would be "better" than one 12, but the answer to that question seems to have more to do with your room's acoustics and placement of the sub(s) to overcome negative room interactions... the much ballyhooed (and $$$) "Swarm O Subs".

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
The sub has a built-in 24 dB/oct L-R filter that afaik cannot be bypassed, you wouldn't want to anyway...

Most people run the Omega speakers full range as there is no great solution to using an xo that doesn't detract from the sound, and at most reasonable volume levels with most music it doesn't matter.

I'd start with running the Omegas full-range and the sub crossed over around 50 Hz.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
The sub has a built-in 24 dB/oct L-R filter that afaik cannot be bypassed, you wouldn't want to anyway...

Most people run the Omega speakers full range as there is no great solution to using an xo that doesn't detract from the sound, and at most reasonable volume levels with most music it doesn't matter.

I'd start with running the Omegas full-range and the sub crossed over around 50 Hz.

Totally agree.

ricardojoa

I dont have any omega speakers but i would say the application is pretty similar with any other speakers. If you can integrate them well to your liking in fullrange set up, there is no reason why not run them fullrange. But as always, having them integrate properly is the main issue. And having a bass management can really help, specially when you are limit to location on Sub.
If you have only one sub, i would try running them no higher than 80hz. You should also adjust the distance on your processor or avr.

Ultralight

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a bit confused - run the Deepomegas full range also, and it just is set to taper off at 150hz?  Or SET the Deepomegas so that it lowpasses at 50hz?

And is it different depending on Alnico or 3i?

Thanks,
UL

mrvco

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a bit confused - run the Deepomegas full range also, and it just is set to taper off at 150hz?  Or SET the Deepomegas so that it lowpasses at 50hz?

And is it different depending on Alnico or 3i?

Thanks,
UL

My understanding is that the DeepOmegas are not designed to act as a traditional "LFE" sub-woofer, but as a faster, more musical complement to the Omega speakers... based on my (re)searching, you set the gain to an appropriate level and the high-pass cross-over to ~150 MHz.  My experience so far with my Velodyne HGS-10 (an early design that emphasized musicality rather than LFE) has been that running the Omega Speakers full-range and not using the high-pass output from the sub works very well.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
My understanding is that the DeepOmegas are not designed to act as a traditional "LFE" sub-woofer, but as a faster, more musical complement to the Omega speakers... based on my (re)searching, you set the gain to an appropriate level and the high-pass cross-over to ~150 MHz.  My experience so far with my Velodyne HGS-10 (an early design that emphasized musicality rather than LFE) has been that running the Omega Speakers full-range and not using the high-pass output from the sub works very well.

Exactly... try it out different ways, you can't hurt anything and it's just a twist of a knob. I recommend setting the sub xo around 50-60 Hz and adjust level by ear. I've set the levels by ear and then measured and I was pretty much dead-on, it's not difficult. Have fun!  :green:

doggie

+1

I have my sub crossed over at about 50hz with Super 6's running full range.