DAC-9 sonic signature vs ?

envydd

DAC-9 sonic signature vs ?
« on: 31 Jul 2018, 07:16 am »
Hi there, I like NuPrime and I was planning to try a cheap non-ESS DAC for kicks (I have enough experience with the DAC-10 board in my AVA and I have tried the Nuforce uDSD). The options for me are either a AKM or a Burr Brown or a CS4398 or a Wolfson dac (or multibit stuff like Schiit). I want a neutral, accurate but not bright sound and it must have preamp outputs to drive a power amp. Headphone out would be good to have

Is the DAC-9 sound neutral?  Has anyone compared DAC-9 with others?

TomekZ

Re: DAC-9 sonic signature vs ?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2018, 01:00 am »
I've a DAC 9. Its flavor is indeed warm. Most similar to a couple of NOS DAC, one by Mojo Audio & a Red Wine Audio. Less midrange focused than those two, but close. Through a STA 9, I like it much much more than the IDA 8's DAC. If you listen to jazz or vocal, this is a truly grand DAC, the 9.

envydd

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2018, 03:35 pm »
Thx. Wondering if someone has compared with a decently designed AKM based DAC/preamp like the Teac 503 (although the teac is more expensive) which highlights the analog buffer circuitry and volume control!

I tried connecting my Oppo 203 to my HD-AVA to try a SACD and the sound was quite nice and warm even though its supposed to be inferior to the Oppo 205 which has the ESS chips. Hence the quest :)

envydd

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2018, 02:56 pm »
Since I am experimenting here I was intrigued by the upconverting feature of the Teac. And the dual mono design vs the dac 9. Else I would be quite happy with the cheaper dac 9.