Salt and Pepper Grinders

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Salt and Pepper Grinders
« on: 17 Jul 2016, 04:10 pm »
Some years ago, I bought a combo salt and pepper grinder made by Bodum

https://www.amazon.com/BODUM-Twin-Pepper-Grinder-Black/dp/B002CHG65W/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1468771358&sr=1-3&keywords=salt+and+pepper+grinder+bodum

While the concept of both together was kind of novel, now that it has given up the ghost, I'm looking for good replacement but this time in separate devices. There appear to be many of the same thing marketed under different names, but these by OXO have my interest piqued.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Pepper-Grinder/dp/B001CDP5UO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Before I pull the trigger, I'd appreciate the thoughts of any who have used them and also any recs for others you've found to work well and hold up well. I'm not much of a cook, but do like a good tool regardless.

Thanks

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Salt and Pepper Grinders
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2016, 04:22 pm »
I have an Olde Thompson pepper mill that's still going strong after 25 yrs of heavy use.

Doc

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2016, 05:50 pm »
I have one of these pepper mills sold from Fletchers Mill on Amazon.
Not cheap but has worked well for years. They also sell salt grinders.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6O7S6A/ref=twister_B017IFRX0Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yomaha

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2016, 08:53 pm »
I bought a Unicorn pepper mill from Amazon. Really like it. Feels nice and sturdy with a good sized even grind

borism

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2016, 09:21 pm »
I have used a Peugeot pepper mill for years without any issue and more recently added a salt mill. They are French made and high quality:

https://www.amazon.com/Peugeot-23461-USelect-Pepper-Chocolate/dp/B0027GPAB4/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1468790085&sr=1-8&keywords=peugeot+salt+and+pepper+mills

ACHiPo

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2016, 10:07 pm »
$75 shakers??!!??!! Please!!!

pehare

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2016, 10:37 pm »
I've had a William Bounds pepper mill for over 20 years - they're great, lifetime warranty...available on amazon.  Just got my daughter a nice teak one for around $40 she said thanks for the shaker:)  Nothing like fresh cracked pepper ordinary pepper is like floor sweepings.

borism

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2016, 01:31 am »

Reminds me of my wife's comment after I told her how much I paid for some new power cords: "That's how much you paid for plugs?!" :D

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2016, 10:38 am »

What would you recommend? (Nothing worse than not having nice big pepper chunks when you need it!!)

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2016, 12:18 pm »
Most hand grinders have an adjustment on them to regulate the size of the resulting grind. They are great for table use.

However, if you are looking for something to grind up a bunch of pepper, for preparing a dry rub or something similar, I would recommend looking into something else entirely. Your hand will hurt for sure trying to get a half cup of ground pepper from a hand grinder. I found an antique coffee grinder at a flea market some years ago. It has a nice handle that goes round and round, is easy to turn, and dumps the grounds into a drawer on the bottom. It was cheap, it looks cool, and it works like a charm to grind my pepper when I need a quantity of it.

Enjoy.

sounddog

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2016, 03:09 pm »
Peter J, we've had the Oxo salt and pepper grinders for a couple of years and really like them. Easy to adjust the grind, to turn the grinding mechanism and to refill. Plus they don't look bad on the table.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2016, 03:17 pm »
What would you recommend? (Nothing worse than not having nice big pepper chunks when you need it!!)

What, you don't keep a hammer in the kitchen???  How gauche!

FireGuy

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2016, 03:27 pm »
Reminds me of my wife's comment after I told her how much I paid for some new power cords: "That's how much you paid for plugs?!" :D

Exactly what I was thinking.  $1200 for 6 meters of speaker cable?