Transports for BDA-1

dubya

Transports for BDA-1
« on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:35 am »
Hi I recently auditioned the Byston cd/PB26/4BSST2 & Iam now considering buying

the same set up but with the dac instead.

I have an old Meridian 506 cd player that I was considering using with the BDA-1 dac

will this sync correctly? or would there be better options?

thanks

W

BrysTony

Re: Transports for BDA-1
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2010, 01:38 pm »
You can't go wrong with either the BCD-1 or the BDA-1 so either choice will be just fine.  In my case, faced with a similar decision I chose the BDA-1 because my priority was to gain the capability to play computer generated audio and I believed that my existing CDP would improve by running the digital outputs into the BDA.  When I installed the BDA-1 into my system I connected a 1 year old NAD CDP and a 15 year old Denon CD Changer to the BDA-1.  The result was by far the best single upgrade I have made in 45 years of box changing and tweaking.  The music just popped from my speakers with both CDPs.  Musical details were there that I had not heard before -- big improvements in clarity and bass.

So given that your Meridian 506 is a much better unit than my CDPs, I would recommend you go with the BDA-1.  Both of us may get the BCD-1 somewhere down the road.

Tony

dubya

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I would like to know if there is any difference between transports

with the BDA-1 - if there isnt I would use the Panasonic dvd as cd transport giving me

less boxes & a remote.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2010, 01:37 pm »
There are differences.  I've have a Philips DVD recorder, a Sony 2000ES CD/SACD (which I just disconnected) changer and a modded Oppo BDP-83 hooked to it now.  The DVD recorder is not on par with the other two which are close.  I have not tried it but I wouldn't be surprised if my Marantz DV9600 universal is a bit better.  I currently moved it to the secondary basement system.  I diconnected the 2000ES soon and hooking up a Logitech Squeezebox Touch and am awaiting an upgraded power supply for it.

KeithA

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:57 pm »
There are differences.  I've have a Philips DVD recorder, a Sony 2000ES CD/SACD (which I just disconnected) changer and a modded Oppo BDP-83 hooked to it now.  The DVD recorder is not on par with the other two which are close.  I have not tried it but I wouldn't be surprised if my Marantz DV9600 universal is a bit better.  I currently moved it to the secondary basement system.  I diconnected the 2000ES soon and hooking up a Logitech Squeezebox Touch and am awaiting an upgraded power supply for it.

I'm using a Logitech Transporter in my main system a s a transport to my BDA-1....it's a killer rig  :wink:

Keith