Nutcracker recommendations

MaxCast

« on: 25 Dec 2002, 09:09 pm »
I'm looking for a good recording (or better) of a very good performance.  So far I've seen recommended:
1)Marvinski, 1946 recording---can't find
2)Gergiev, Kirov Orchistra on Phillips--- was a single cd and don't know if the whole piece in on the issue.
3)Rodzinski, Royal Phil/Orch---found on line for $22.
4)Nutcracker complete, Telarc 1990 at Best Buy for $25

Any recommendations :?:

I've also read Bach's Christmas Oratorio was very good.  On Virgin by Philippee Herrewighe or on Archiv by John Elliot Gardiner.  Both have been hard to find.

Thanks,

Hantra

_
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2002, 01:35 pm »
While I can't provide a good Nutcracker recommendation, I did hear a great one on XM over Christmas.  The guy also told the story of the Dumas book that it is based on, and it sounds worse than a Stephen King novel!  

Apparenlty the ballet has evolved far from the original story of a little girl named Marie in a loveless household fighting bloody battles against a mouse king with seven heads.  Thank goodness!

B

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2002, 07:15 pm »
If you can find Andre Previn on EMI, I really like his version.  He is one of the few western conductors with a "feel" for the Romantic Russians (specifically Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky).  In fact he is featured on the box set that has all 3 of the ballet's that Tchaikovsky is famous for - Nutcracker, Swan Lake, and Sleeping Beauty.  Fine performances in good sound and pretty darn cheap for what you get. . .