Mastadon ...

JoshK

Mastadon ...
« on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:06 am »
I recently got around to picking up Mastodon - Leviathan.  Its a bit harder than my usual listen, but I like a lot of prog metal except for maybe the fantasy metal vocals of the '80s that many of the prog metal acts didn't lose.  I generally like a lot of the music from metal acts with talent but hate the vocals.  Well Mastodon straddles the fence...  Their vocals is on the cusp of what I can tolerate; not quite growling, but almost. 

TVYankee's g/f and I had a discussion about metal music at the last rave.  His g/f and I has some overlap in taste when it comes to metal.  I like Sepultura from the music perspective but not necessarily the vocals, ditto Soulfly.  Slipknot is a lot like that....they were actually one of the 'nu-metal' acts I could tolerate. At least their first release.  Well Mastodon, to come back to the topic, is the metal version of mozart.  These guys can rip like their is no tomorrow.   The time changes are typical of prog metal but the melodic riffs not necessarily are..  The vocals, well they are semi-growling.  Tolerable given the splendid delivery of musicality of metal melody.   I can tolerate the vocals for the music they deliver which is more than I could say about Trivium, which I recently checked out.  Music was good but vocals intolerable.

Josh
(trying to expand the horizons of many audiophiles)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Mastadon ...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:25 am »
Josh...."Leviathan" is a 2004 release. Mastodon's newest is Blood Mountain......good first tune...."The Wolf Is Loose".... :wink:

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:27 am »
Yeah, I didn't mean it was a new release. Just meant it was new to me and maybe many haven't heard it.

I have a couple of their others to check out.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:32 am »
Posted the link so some might have a listen....but I don't think many will use it as a demo Cd when they audition equipment....but their a good group. :rock:

(trying to expand the horizons of many audiophiles)

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:39 am »
link at amazon...

link

Maybe not reference material but still testing material.   It will show dynamic incapability as good a many other recordings.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:43 am »
link at amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Mastodon/dp/B0002N66FS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-9041599-2106428?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1183606869&sr=1-3
But....no samples. :duh:

..but I don't think many will use it as a demo Cd when they audition equipment...
But they might use a Tool Cd....their a very good group...

http://www.amazon.com/Tool/artist/B000AQ06OY/102-8798287-9811364

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:49 am »
yeah not samples with that one...

Tool...well they are my favorite going back to '92. 

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:55 am »

Tool...well they are my favorite going back to '92. 

Tool is better than Mastodon, in my opinion....and most of their Cd's sound better....which is a plus. 8)

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:59 am »
Yeah I think tool is the bomb...  but what is there outside of tool?  Tool can't make a guy's life complete...well not totally...not this man's at least.

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:00 am »
Tool pays close attention to the sound of their discs which is a good thing...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:07 am »
Yeah I think tool is the bomb...  but what is there outside of tool?  Tool can't make a guy's life complete...well not totally...not this man's at least.

Tool pays close attention to the sound of their discs which is a good thing...

Thats the problem with heavy metal today....too few really good groups. Most recordings suck....just screaming vocals....shredding guitars....no sense to the music...turns into noise. You have to do it right....or don't do it at all.

Like some of the old Punk groups....noise, noise, noise. :shake:

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:23 am »
Your right...

I thought Mastodon was on the border...they did a lot right, with maybe the vocals not being superb.

Tool is my ruler...

« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2007, 04:39 am by JoshK »

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:35 am »
A few others to check out Josh....their better sounding than most.... 8)

http://www.amazon.com/Disturbed/artist/B000APKJM4/102-8798287-9811364

http://www.amazon.com/Seether/artist/B000APSICW/102-8798287-9811364

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/102-8798287-9811364?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=music&field-artist=Shinedown

Not much of a fan of Disturbed...familiar but not my thing. Seether I hadn't heard of.  Neither had I heard of Shinedown...well except for maybe just a song...

2gumby2

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:41 am »
I recently discovered Funeral Doom music and I've enjoyed some from this genre. Unfortunately, that genre seems to embrace the Lo-Fi sound, but still interesting to listen to. A band called Skepticism with their Stormcrowfleet album is good and the band Virgin Black is really great and better sound quality too. The Virgin Black-Requiem: Mezzo Forte is particularly good. Also, I've found most of the Dark Ambient genre from the Cold Meat Industry label to be excellent and well recorded. Rather difficult to find though. Amazon does not carry CMI. Also recommended is the Sludge Metal band Sunn O))). Their White 1 and White 2 albums are outstanding and will give your subwoofers an incredible workout.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:41 am »
...just screaming vocals....shredding guitars....no sense to the music...turns into noise.
Ahhh....that would be most "Death Metal" groups....IMO. :dunno:

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:43 am »
Had a listen to Shinedown..unfortunately I think they fall into the same class as most nu-metal acts...   Nothing terribly new, ok songs, but nothing spectacular. No offense, but I prefer mastodon to that... I think they had much more original song writing/playing ability.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:44 am »
Also recommended is the Sludge Metal band Sunn O))). Their White 1 and White 2 albums are outstanding and will give your subwoofers an incredible workout.
nathanm has posted about that group....one of his fav's I believe....

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:45 am »
Had a listen to Shinedown..unfortunately I think they fall into the same class as most nu-metal acts...   Nothing terribly new, ok songs, but nothing spectacular. No offense, but I prefer mastodon to that... I think they had much more original song writing/playing ability.

Josh....whats really "going to be new" with heavy metal ? :?

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:47 am »
But I wouldn't classify Mastodon as death metal, which I really don't like.  They have a style that is pretty hard, their vocals are near that but not really death metal.  Death metal is really gravel vocals...which I don't care for.